• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

This was posted yesterday on the CADL FB page:

Body Armor State Games DG Championship!
June 11 at Hilltop Needmore Town Park & Reserve (Formerly Crooked Creek Golf Club) for your chance to play this one time only temporary course!
I have created the course keeping in mind it can be mundane sometimes playing disc golf course on a traditional golf course.
The design of Hilltop Needmore DGC leverages the woodlines, water features, and some of the immense elevation changes. (Holes 5, 6, 12, 13, 17, & 18.) Hole 13 has an -86 foot drop in elevation from tee pad to fairway.
Early Friday, June 10th, the course will be setup for practice rounds. Saturday, June 11th, we will have a two round/shotgun start event.

Thanks Jay Pontier for all you do!! :hfive:

Been playing The Patriot in Kernersville about once a week here lately and man could it be a great course if some of those open holes had any sort of obstacle other than making the long tees 400+ feet. Reminds me a bit of Zebulon in that regard.

Yeah Schwarz really under utilized that property.

Fire Mountain Disc Golf Sanctuary, Cherokee

Fire Mountain is a new course in Cherokee, NC.
It is on the Qualla Boundary of the Eastern Band of the Cherokee, so governed by their laws.
I played Fire Mountain in Cherokee on Opening Day and it is legit! They did a mind boggling amount of work to move huge stones to make landscaped stone steps and stone benches. The holes along the river are fantastic.

There are 3 practice baskets in separate areas, then it's about a 1/3 mile hike to hole 1. As you walk up and see the immaculately landscaped stone steps you know that you are in a special place.

The land that the course is on is in my Top 10 for NC disc golf venues. I was fortunate to run into one of the designers and he told me that unfortunately they were unable to use some surrounding hills because it is owned by the Native Americans and is part of the Blue Ridge Parkway property. That's a shame because that would have added even more elevation changes, but they had to work within the constraints they had. The land the course is on is still great, but it's just missing some elevation changes that the surrounding hills temptingly have.

There is still some work to be done and some more clearing is necessary on a couple of fairways (esp 11 Long!) and near some greens (9 & 18) but the course has potential to be a Top 25 NC course. Many people might eventually put it in their NC Top 10.

The drive out to the mountains is peaceful and refreshing, and after my round I stopped to watch a herd of elk grazing calmly by the road. Those beasts are huge!

This course is well worth the trip so go out of your way and play there!

Tom Brown in Sparta

Tom Brown in Sparta has turned out very well. A copious amount of navigational arrows point your way make navigation a breeze.

The most distinctive feature of the course is that holes 11-14 all climb steeply up the mountain, so bring your hiking boots. The rise in elevation from tee 11 to basket 14 is well over 100 feet of elevation gain; it is the greatest increase in elevation over 4 holes in all of NC.

Some holes have baskets perched on epic boulder formations that are quite scenic.

One of the biggest negative features can be fixed over time, but it will take a great deal of work. In places there are huge piles of logs and wood that your disc can get stuck in. These can be removed, but hauling them off a steep mountain will require some heavy equipment or a massive amount of manpower to haul away. These wood piles are just a result of clearing out the trees to make a new course. The area is kind of remote and sparsely populated, so I don't know how active the local club is, but I hope that this can be done over time.

One item remains to be seen how it will play out with the spring and summer growth... poison ivy, especially around the basket on hole 11. On a previous visit to the course, the basket for hole 1 was right in the middle of a patch of thick poison ivy that had a radius of about 80 ft all around the basket. I hope they can tame this and keep the PI at bay.

This course is well worth playing!

Because I've been on an ongoing 23 year quest to play every play every course in NC I very rarely go back to play courses I've played. Every return visit means missing out on a new course that I could have played, so for me, a high compliment is to say that I would return to play there again. In the case of Tom Brown I have definite hopes to return there again to play the course!

Dry Creek/ SPCC in Monroe

Stan McDaniel has been laboring for a couple of years at Dry Creek in Monroe, and he has diabolically created the longest permanent course in NC. It is over 9000 ft and should have the highest SSA of any NC course. I will be interested to see how the SSA compares to Angry Beaver.

The course also offers other Mule distinctives like island greens and raised baskets. It's way above my skill level, but if you want to get beat up and mauled I recommend that you give it a try.

Finally got the chance to play Rolling Pines today ahead of the tournament June 11th. Beautiful course. Kicked my ass but I shot 64 from the golds. Definitely hoping to shave a few strokes off but I had a great time.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/817513057235238942/977552167827275786/IMG_0114.jpg

Good on ya! Have you played Ft Hamby? For my money and game a better course, longs and shorts. [emoji106][emoji41] Nice pic btw. [emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good on ya! Have you played Ft Hamby? For my money and game a better course, longs and shorts. [emoji106][emoji41] Nice pic btw. [emoji108]

Any idea of what happened to Highland Hills? The latest conditions list it as overgrown and unplayable. Maybe RP was all the Parks Dept were willing to keep up, so they gave up on HH?

If North Wilkes still had those 3, all 3.5 rated or higher, that's a pretty good DG small town!

Any idea of what happened to Highland Hills? The latest conditions list it as overgrown and unplayable. Maybe RP was all the Parks Dept were willing to keep up, so they gave up on HH?

If North Wilkes still had those 3, all 3.5 rated or higher, that's a pretty good DG small town!

I wanted to check it out last week when I was over there but it's been marked unplayable for awhile now. Kind of a shame, the pictures of it looked solid.

I wanted to check it out last week when I was over there but it's been marked unplayable for awhile now. Kind of a shame, the pictures of it looked solid.

Don't know if the club/town made a conscious, volitional decision to "abandon" Highland Hills, but a combination of things apply. Two other good courses, storm damage over time, the topography at HH will always dictate some unique maintenance issues (very labor intensive), and the semi-isolated parking area may have attracted illicit parkers. And I think some baskets"walked off". All things that could/would be addressed with motivation.... and nowhere else to play. I for one miss HH!

...I for one miss HH!
I agree with you. It's a real shame to lose HH. That hole with the basket over the creek (~8??) was sweet! That green was among the best in NC!

As others have said, I think that Rolling Pines is way overrated, but taste is subjective. My rankings for the Wilkesboro area are...
1. Original Highland Hills
2. Fort Hamby
3. Rolling Pines

If I was going to Wilkesboro/North Wilkesboro and could only play 1 course that is the order I would use. HH only gets the slightest nod over Fort Hamby; they are both so close in my rating.

But in reality they each have different strengths and weaknesses. I would probably rate them all about the same, so I can see if people like RP better. It comes down to your experience and what you like. Personally, I like tighter woods course more. It's hard to convey in words, but to me Rolling Pines has the feel of a manicured golf course on disc golf terrain. Does that make sense? It has lots of trees so I don't mean that it's like a dg course on a golf course, but it has the same feel to me as a manicured traditional golf course. Lots of grass with plenty of trees. I'm not too sure how to explain what I mean...

Sucks about Highland. When kept up, it was a great course. I was hoping the locals would give it a makeover once they replaced the baskets at RP.

I just posted some NEW course updates on Olorin's new thread:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141828&highlight=North+carolina

Update on Rolesville HS courses - Nightime and Wooded Pond - the teacher behind these courses, Jeremy Davis, applied to one of the contests by DD, and WON!! :clap: 9 brand new permanent baskets! He's already got 7 in the ground and waiting on some grass cutting to install the last two. :hfive: (The Temp baskets he bought with his own money starting disappearing a couple of years ago :thmbdown:, so he pulled the remaining ones.)

Once all 9 are in the ground, he's going to get tee signs out and update the UDisc layouts. I've already marked the original courses as EXTINCT, but will update, or setup a new course at that time. Jeremy also has plans for a larger layout, but wants to get this course back up and get the HS kids out there for PE class on these brand new baskets. :thmbup:

I agree with you. It's a real shame to lose HH. That hole with the basket over the creek (~8??) was sweet! That green was among the best in NC!

As others have said, I think that Rolling Pines is way overrated, but taste is subjective. My rankings for the Wilkesboro area are...
1. Original Highland Hills
2. Fort Hamby
3. Rolling Pines

If I was going to Wilkesboro/North Wilkesboro and could only play 1 course that is the order I would use. HH only gets the slightest nod over Fort Hamby; they are both so close in my rating.

But in reality they each have different strengths and weaknesses. I would probably rate them all about the same, so I can see if people like RP better. It comes down to your experience and what you like. Personally, I like tighter woods course more. It's hard to convey in words, but to me Rolling Pines has the feel of a manicured golf course on disc golf terrain. Does that make sense? It has lots of trees so I don't mean that it's like a dg course on a golf course, but it has the same feel to me as a manicured traditional golf course. Lots of grass with plenty of trees. I'm not too sure how to explain what I mean...

Wow, it's really disappointing to hear about HH, but not overly surprising. My favorite Wilkes course was Fort Hamby, but always noted that if that HH had the space/terrain to not only be better than Hamby, but the best course in Wilkes (if not one of the best in NC). Rolling Pines is just a bit too sterile for me.

On a happier note, it felt really good to get out and play R.L. Smith again for the first time in years. The temporary holes they've built to compensate for the ones it's already lost are fun. The construction for the greenway, definitely makes the course harder to play in the summer heat though. It also made it easy to mistakenly combine Holes 7 & 8 as a monster par 5, instead of a par 4 and par 3.

I just posted some NEW course updates on Olorin's new thread:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141828&highlight=North+carolina

Update on Rolesville HS courses - Nightime and Wooded Pond - the teacher behind these courses, Jeremy Davis, applied to one of the contests by DD, and WON!! :clap: 9 brand new permanent baskets! He's already got 7 in the ground and waiting on some grass cutting to install the last two. :hfive: (The Temp baskets he bought with his own money starting disappearing a couple of years ago :thmbdown:, so he pulled the remaining ones.)

Once all 9 are in the ground, he's going to get tee signs out and update the UDisc layouts. I've already marked the original courses as EXTINCT, but will update, or setup a new course at that time. Jeremy also has plans for a larger layout, but wants to get this course back up and get the HS kids out there for PE class on these brand new baskets. :thmbup:

I get where you are coming from. I had a different experience at HH. I felt like there were too many throw over the valley, walk down and up then throw back over the same valley, walk down and up again for my taste, That and the transition trails were so muddy and slick that day that almost falling off the trail kinda soured me on HH. On the flip side, it was hot like today when I first played RP and the water spigots every few holes went a long way to helping us stay cool. Fort Hamby is my favorite of the 3.

Deep Creek Dreams in Burlington has been having continuous upgrades and improvements for years. I haven't played there in a few years, but I keep hearing such great things from people, especially about the long tees. It has now risen high up on my list to play again. My quest to play new courses means that I very rarely make the time to go back to replay courses. I only go back to top tier courses that are among my favorites, so this shows the high regard that I have for Deep Creek Dreams.

Finally got a chance to play Keeley Park in Greensboro. I remember emailing Parks and Rec in like 2010, begging them to install the course. Glad to see a good course finally up within city limits. Overall, I thought the design was interesting and I had a good time playing the course. I really wish they didn't lean on the 3 tree trunks within 10 feet of the tee so many times. I thought the two tree gap off the tee of hole 9 ( I think ). I could have done without the additional 2 or 3 of those, but don't mind the more traditional 5-10 foot gaps off some of the other tees. Hopefully with age some of the rough gets a little less rough but overall it's a fun course to play.

Ramcat Ridge

I'm trying to get in touch with Riverdog to see if I can play Ramcat Ridge this Sunday, 9/18, but I'm not sure if I still have his current phone number. Plus his DGCR mailbox is full, and I can't find him on Facebook.

Riverdog, if you see this would you please let me know the best way to get in touch with you?