• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nose up (and other) issues.. Help...

Have you tried the door frame drill? It will demonstrate where, for your body, is the most powerful position, and which muscles give you power.

Since some people learn better by reading: Stand in a door frame sideways. Situate your feet so that you just took the last step in your X-step and the disc is still behind you. The door frame should be at or behind your trailing (left) foot. Grab the door frame where your disc would be at full backswing (you may need to adjust your feet to get the door frame in the correct position):

Pull the door frame like you are trying to rip it out of the wall, toward your target. You might first feel your shoulders or triceps, but there will be no power. Pull again, maybe adjust your hand height in the frame slightly. You might feel it in your side. Pull again until you are aware that the strongest position is when leaning into your hips, shoulder forward, where you might feel like you are about to sit in a chair that is just out of reach of your right butt cheek. That's where the power is. From your butt through your back. That's the correct position for your body to throw the disc. Some people do not 'like it' or decide not to throw that way, but that's the position your power and mechanics put you.
Note - Rear foot should be stepping away from door frame while holding on to it. Rear foot should end up underneath right shoulder. The front foot shouldn't really have any weight pressure on it, should be ready to stride the last 1-2" into plant if hand releases from door frame.

Sorry if im just too dense to get it... But this gets me so confused... I have heard that you should not pull hard from the beginning, but when i think about the lawnmower i would pull hard with my own body from the beginning? And i still dont get the feeling you should go for from the power pocket and out.. And does it feel like a swing or pull from the power pocket and to the release?
Pull hard with your weight/hips at beginning, not your arm. Elbow just bends, lower arm/disc lags into center, as you rotate into power pocket. Then swing out from center.

Pull hard with your weight/hips at beginning, not your arm. Elbow just bends, lower arm/disc lags into center, as you rotate into power pocket. Then swing out from center.

When the arm swings out from center the upper arm angle are locked (To about 90-120 degrees) right? It doesnt get wider before you have released the disc?

Yes i have seen the doorframe drill many times and tried it. And i get that this engage the big muscles in the body. But i still dont see how this shows what kind of feeling you want from the power pocket and out to the release.. Okay so im gonna try to explain what confuses me:

1. I have heard that you should not apply power before the power pocket. And when i then have heard the lawnmower and elbowing something fancy examples, i feel like this kinda dont fit together with applying power late.

2. I have read (And seen slow motion of the pros) that their upper arm to chest angle are about 90 degrees when they release the disc. This i also feel like goes against the lawnmower and elbowing something examples because you would then disconnect the upper arm from the body and send it forward (Strong-arming it?).

3. The feeling of swinging your arm out of your body (Like hittin a ball with a tennis racket or hittin a baseball) is a verry different feel from kind of elbowing out to the target. What is the feeling i am looking for from the power pocket and out? Any examples from other motions that are similar?

I have always been afraid om strong arming or learning bad habits because the longer you do a motion, the harder it will be to change it.. I guess i just have read too much around on dgc so that it has ended up confusing me...
1. No power from arm until you stop rotating and swing out. If your upper arm remains wide/elbow forward and then you shift/rotate to the hit, you will "elbow" something with your mass behind it, then swing lower arm out. I don't really think about elbowing, I think about throwing, punching or hitting the disc out to apex/trajectory(not target).

2. Don't put too much stock into 90 angle at release look at GG. The feel can also be quite different the real. It's not strong arming if you rotated before releasing the arm.

Thanks for the tip about the hammer. I am going to test that tomorrow! Yes i have done the one leg drill (Still does it sometimes on my fieldworkouts) and i am sure that i get all my weight onto the front foot before i do the actual throw. I do also get to not round.
Btw arent you supposed to throw little to the left of the target? not in a straight line?

But i still dont get if its more of a pull to the right or swing out of the body to the right...
To ask the question a little different..
Do you want to open the shoulders to the target and then throw or do you want the shoulders to be closed and throw to the side?
Sorry if im just thick headed.. I just really want to understand the feeling you should go for after the power pocket..
Swing out to left on arc ( because the lower arm swings faster than the elbow/upper arm. Force is straight, the arc is not.

Shoulders closed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

When the arm swings out from center the upper arm angle are locked (To about 90-120 degrees) right? It doesnt get wider before you have released the disc?
I feel the upper arm bouncing wider from chest into release. Here's Avery Jenkins and Christian Sandstrom practicing for distance.

WsgVy8h.png

avhUydL.png

Note - Rear foot should be stepping away from door frame while holding on to it. Rear foot should end up underneath right shoulder. The front foot shouldn't really have any weight pressure on it, should be ready to stride the last 1-2" into plant if hand releases from door frame.

It's leverage. Pulling the frame against the rear foot will have most power the millisecond before the body weight lands on the font foot. Then release the power into the disc.

It's leverage. Pulling the frame against the rear foot will have most power the millisecond before the body weight lands on the font foot. Then release the power into the disc.

As someone who has played plenty of sports in my life, I always found this kind of thing to be really insightful.

You don't generate speed with a baseball bat by swinging your arms hard, or hit a golf ball a long ways by swinging your arms really hard, or kick a soccer ball really far by swinging your leg hard...you generate the power with your body, your extremities are just the lever which releases that energy into the object.

It was not really how to build the power that confused me. I get that the whole throw starts with the body generating power. But when i started hearing about the lawnmower examples and that people said to pull the disc i think more about pulling the disc to the right of your body without opening your chest. I feel like its better to say swing because then you swing the lower arm out. This confused me so much that i was starting to get frustrated.

So i was reading about active or passive arm in the elbow extention. From my understanding you want to actively use the arm muscles to extend the lower arm. I am currently throwing around 300 average (350 on good shots). Should i focus on actively extend the lower arm or should i just let the arm fling out to reach 400 consistently?

So i was reading about active or passive arm in the elbow extention. From my understanding you want to actively use the arm muscles to extend the lower arm. I am currently throwing around 300 average (350 on good shots). Should i focus on actively extend the lower arm or should i just let the arm fling out to reach 400 consistently?

How would you focus on hammering a nail or chop down a tree? Is the focus on thinking about the arm, or is the focus on feeling and using the tool's weight and gravity and pounding it or slinging it thru the target?

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

Hi again guys! I have been playing alot lately and want to know what is the next thing i should work on?
Currently throwing 300 feet halfway controlled (360 max).
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxMh14oNxSk

You're pulling the disc along with your hips. Shoulders kinda parallel to hips. The hips fire first, while the disc lags back. Hips will be about 90degrees to shoulders before the upper body kicks in. Don't feel like you're pulling. Feel like you're pushing out from your right armpit.

When you say push out from right armpit, do you mean push out to the right of the shoulders or more forward from the shoulders? (If that makes any sense?)

When you say push out from right armpit, do you mean push out to the right of the shoulders or more forward from the shoulders? (If that makes any sense?)

I mean eliminate the sensation of 'pulling' the disc from reach back. Let hips shift at Max backswing to bring the disc in. Keep your elbow ahead of your shoulders and the sensation is pushing the disc out.

And also do you mean that i should delay the upper body rotation?

Yep.

Aha think i got it. i`ll have to try it on the next fieldwork.
When it comes to upper body rotation, do you want to rotate back to neutral and push out or rotate forward (Against the target) and push out?

Latest posts