• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Not sure how, but I officially broke 300ft yesterday

I didn't know about the Google Earth Ruler. That is a really cool tool. I took some measurements of my field, and I am surprised how bit it is. From where I was throwing , its 525 feet long to the street, and its 225 feet wide. Plenty of room for practice. Here is a better view of the field:

Practicefieldwithnumbers.jpg

Congrats on both the added distance and finding a new practice field. That looks like an awesome area to just open up and work on adding even more distance.

Went out today for the first time in over 3 weeks. Had pretty low expectations, but was tired of not getting to play (work and life have been getting in the way). Went to the course, and unloaded a couple of crazy long forehands. Had just started working on a RHFH in the last 2 weeks before my sabaticle, and figured what the heck today, more or less a practice round to get my legs back. Launched one 350' after it hit a branch, this was still 20' off the ground, could have went on. Then turned on one for better than 375' on the next hole. Both of these were thrown with a Champ Orc.

Typically I throw far better at the field, and freeze mentally at the course, but the "no worries" thing today really worked. Not going to lie and say I threw 18 under, but these were 2 of the 5 holes I threw the Orc on, and on the other 3 it went more or less where I was going for. Hopefully a promising turn, and a new tool to get some distance.

I didn't know about the Google Earth Ruler. That is a really cool tool. I took some measurements of my field, and I am surprised how bit it is. From where I was throwing , its 525 feet long to the street, and its 225 feet wide. Plenty of room for practice. Here is a better view of the field:

Practicefieldwithnumbers.jpg

start over on glen dr and throw across the ditch to practice your over water shots

I was at the practice field yesterday, and I had set up cones from 0-310ft. I marked off every 10ft past 220 with a long tape measure. My first set of drives were OK, I was hitting about 260-290, which for me is about avg.

I then started again, and I picked up my 161, beat in DX Wraith, and launched it. It seemed like it went pretty far, but I couldn't see the cones past the 200ft mark, because I had my practice basket at the 200ft mark.

I walked up to see where my discs landed. My new SL went 290, and I was happy with that, but I didn't see the Wraith. I thought "were the hell did it land" as I looked around. I looked up and I couldn't believe it. It went 5ft past the 310ft mark. I was shocked and very happy. I was sure I have thrown 300ft in the past on the course, but now I was 100% sure.

I know to most of you this dosen't sound like much, but my drives have always been the weakest part of my game. Those who have seen me play know that I can putt and approach great, but my long game is terrible. I was also very impressed with the SL and I am sure with work and practice I will be sending it over 300ft as well.

I posted this for you guys who are struggling with your drives like I am, and all I can see, is just keep working on it. In vest in some cheap soccer cones and a long tape measure, and this way you can see how you area really doing. I got a 330ft tape measure from Craig's List for $10 , and the soccer cones are 4 for $3 at Walmart.
Good for you, man! I think I threw past 300 the other day but there was no way to tell for sure. All I know is that it was 60 feet further than my other throws. This is why I like going to football fields but sometimes you just gotta go gotta throw.

Will it make you made if I tell you I launched a Wraith 400+ ft yesterday?

I just joined the 300 club this year as well. I still want more though. I am try to develop my RHFH shot. I use to use it a lot when I first started out but just started bringing it back for those shots when you need a good fall to the right.

Cheers on getting better ;)

Thats a good feeling.

I throw probably consistantly around 260' myself but every once in a while, I have spiked up to 300' + RHBH, and one time over the 350' mark with a FH shot.

I was only doing about 210' when I started playing again and went to the field and got the 260' going RHBH, pretty much getting back what I had before I took what might as well have been a 4 year hiatus (Only played maybe 3 times in that span). Now with the spike distance RHFH, it tells me I really need to get out to the practice field again and get the consistancy down with my FH technique to try to hit that regularly

We spent the weekend trying to reach the water line of the lake behind my inlaws house in Brady. Our guess was about a 50ft drop in elevation down to the water at right about 475' We were very close, within feet, but just couldn't quite make in. Next time I will reach the water. It's good to have goals. I think the field behind my house is about to see alot more of me.

Find an empty field one time, and put your headphones one, and try it out and get back to me and let me know what you think.
I just don't see the point when I can do this exact same thing on a course that not only has a defined target, but has 17 other holes to practice on with actual obstacles and lines that need to be hit. It's like telling someone they should go play basketball at the outdoor court with the rims half broken in 100 degree heat when they're already playing at an indoor air-conditioned gym with glass backboards and break-away rims.

I just don't see the point when I can do this exact same thing on a course that not only has a defined target, but has 17 other holes to practice on with actual obstacles and lines that need to be hit. It's like telling someone they should go play basketball at the outdoor court with the rims half broken in 100 degree heat when they're already playing at an indoor air-conditioned gym with glass backboards and break-away rims.

I don't think you quite understand. At the course, you are practicing for just that course. At the field, I can try different shots with my practice basket. I work on overstable, understable, approach shots, mids, things like that. Plus, I have my main bag, my back up bag, and my cooler sitting right there, so I have 40 discs with me, and I can see which ones are good for my bag, and I can throw over and over to see how two discs might be the same or different. If two discs are the same, I know that one is back up and one is the main.

If you could haul 40+ discs around the course and work on as many shots as I can, I would say they are the same, but you are not the same. You are working on shots for that course. I am working on shots for every course. So even though you believe that practice on the course is good, and it is , you still are limited on how much you can do. With my practice basket, my measuring tape, my cooler and over 40 discs, and a field that is over 500ft long, and over 225ft wide, and have more I can do, and more I can practice with. And, I never have to stop to let someone play through.

Ask Tiger Woods or any other pro golfer if they don't find the driving range helpful to their game. And i would say every pro Disc Golfer would agree.

I agree. I only practice out at the course nowadays. I tend to get real bored just throwing in a field w/ no obstacles, no real line to hit. I did, however, use to do a lot of field work in my first couple of years playing and gained a lot from doing so.

Skurf, which course are you referring to as your practice course near work?

To cut down on the boredom factor, I wear headphones. Plus, I am too busy thinking about my shots and what disc did what to get bored.

I don't think you quite understand. At the course, you are practicing for just that course. At the field, I can try different shots with my practice basket. I work on overstable, understable, approach shots, mids, things like that. Plus, I have my main bag, my back up bag, and my cooler sitting right there, so I have 40 discs with me, and I can see which ones are good for my bag, and I can throw over and over to see how two discs might be the same or different. If two discs are the same, I know that one is back up and one is the main.

If you could haul 40+ discs around the course and work on as many shots as I can, I would say they are the same, but you are not the same. You are working on shots for that course. I am working on shots for every course. So even though you believe that practice on the course is good, and it is , you still are limited on how much you can do. With my practice basket, my measuring tape, my cooler and over 40 discs, and a field that is over 500ft long, and over 225ft wide, and have more I can do, and more I can practice with. And, I never have to stop to let someone play through.

I got ya. I can definately see the benefits of practicing this way (especially w/ 40+ discs) but I just prefer to do a very similar thing on the course. I will try to hit different lines/take alt. routes for certain holes and such.

We are very lucky here in Austin with so many courses to choose from (many of which where you only have to let a few people, if any, play through) :)

Well to each his own. I enjoy the field almost as much as I enjoy the course. Its a great way to be alone. I get to listen to my MP3 player or radio, and just go off into my own little world. I don't mind playing with others, but when I practice I prefer to be totally alone, that way I can think, and watch what I am doing. I have trying practicing with others, but its two distracting.

Skurf, which course are you referring to as your practice course near work?

Galloway Hammond Rec Center in Burnet, TX

It's actually a pretty nice little course and it seems it's an ongoing project. Last time I was out there they were framing up some gravel teeboxes and had cleared all of the brush that had grown up into some of the fairways and even opened up alternate lines from the tee. I also got the worst case of poison ivy I've ever had in my life the last time I was out there so I think I'm going to wait a bit till I hit it up again. Luckily though, there's a new John Houck 9 hole course going in even closer to where I work in Marble Falls. They've got the concrete tees poured and sign posts in...just waiting on the actual signs...and oh yeah, the baskets would help too!

Here is a picture taken on Windswept Dr looking at the field. This is a disc golf practice field dream come true:

practicefield2.jpg

To cut down on the boredom factor, I wear headphones. Plus, I am too busy thinking about my shots and what disc did what to get bored.

Yeah, I'll listen to music via external speakers during a solo round. Sounds like you have a great practice regimen. Keep on keepin on. You still planning on coming to Austin in October?

Latest posts