• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season disc tryouts

So it is almost November and most of us that play tourneys are starting to have weekends free again. That means it's time for us to try out new discs and maybe re-evaluate our current set ups. What was a weakness in your bag this year? Has your game changed over the past 9 months and now you find yourself with discs that don't do what you need them to do anymore? Well while you try out those new discs and new set ups, posts those new discs or what you are looking for in a new disc here because, why not, we'll all be crazed and mumbling by February anyway.

Discs I'm gonna give a serious workout this fall/winter with a brief description of why:

Leopard (star/pro): I love ELs, love them a whole bunch. They are like longer leopards but it is hard to get one beat in to where it needs to be for a nice flippy driver since the DX is too flippy and the champ takes forever to break in. Star and pro leopards take much less time to break in and after losing my flippy EL early this year, it has been a struggle to find another EL that will fill that spot and I have mostly been using a powered down SOLF for this shot. That is a bit of a problem because while the SOLF powers down well, if I power it down too much to make the distance fit, it doesn't always flip properly.

Roadrunner: same reason as the leo really but with SOLFs.

Omega APs: I have noticed that while I love aviars, especially the BB DX ones, I hardly ever need a putter that stable as what they start out as anymore. I think I might just cut out the middle man of beating them in and start driving with the disc that throws like a beat in one.

firebirds: Eagles and Preds are starting to clash in my bag. Nicely beat preds throw a lot like slightly beat eagles. I love them both a whole bunch but eagles were here first and I love eagles a whole bunch. Like a million. A million loves. whatever. So I need something in the overstable slot that is significantly different than the eagle and that is where the firebird comes into play. It will get less use than the pred but it will stop causing internal conflict in me between the pred and the eagle.

E*DD2: Love me some destroyers but have a couple of these I've been messing with and have been throwing them really well. Nothing else really, just another max d disc to test out

Xcal/Quasar: these fall into the same spot in my bag so I'm just gonna talk about them together. Stable destroyers were my stable distance driver for this whole summer. they are quite nice and useful except during heavy winds. So I'm gonna start messing with the quasar and xcal now that I have more power and see how they work for me.

So there ya go. Whatcha think? What are you gonna mess with this winter during those brief freezing cold rounds?

What color are those ES-DD2's? I've only ever seen two colors, orange and green. The green ones have been flat, nice and overstable, great in the wind. The orange ones have been domey, not as overstable and have more glide, and from what I've seen the production S-DD2's fly pretty much identically.

Both of mine are orange 172s. They are nice and domey and less stable than the orange 172 C-line I tried out earlier this year.

Huh, never seen ones that light. Well anyway, you should be able to find similar regular S-Lines easily, should it be a concern.

off-season.

heh.

<enjoys a cuba libra, reads a good book whilst sunbathing by the pool>

socal, ftw.

I'm messing with the S TD. Mainly trying to see if it's better than the Roadrunner in any way that would make me want to swap.

Distance Driver: this has always been a problem slot for me. I've tried pretty much all of the major players here and have never been super comfortable with them. Ideally I want a single mold that can be straight/overstable and straight/understable in different stages of wear. I don't hate Nukes, but the rim isn't super comfy and I've not had one stable enough to handle major headwinds. I really like Forces, but it takes forever to get one to a straight/flippy state. Destroyers have been in and out a lot. They may be the eventual winner. I like PD's and OLF's just fine, but neither ever seem longer enough than my Predators to really make me want to throw them much. Same with Wraiths, Surges, Flows etc.

I go back and forth over needing a super overstable disc a lot as well. I think I'll probably mess with the XXX and Zone again some and see if I feel the need to keep one.

Trying out a Nuke OS for overhands, in lieu of a CE Whippet-x or Z Xtreme.
Hoping to get my hands on a supersoft Sole to try out for putting, in lieu of a supersoft Ridge.
Playing lots of one-disc rounds with various DX Gremlins to find the magic specimen to be chosen for a rigorous winter-long beating regimen to get it perfectly tuned to replace my lamented beat-ass Gremlin that I lost to fracture earlier this fall.

There are some stable nukes out there, the purple ones I've had are boss stable and the domey ESP blue ones are also real stable. Not sure how much you want to have to track down certain colors of a disc though.

If you want a more stable RR, the S-TD is the way to go.

@jubthetub: the DD2s were actually marked 174 but the scale puts them down at 172.

Seems legit. I might be letting go of a couple of nicely beat Champ EL's in the near future if I can get my tsunami's beat in enough.

As for the off season...only have about 30-45 days of decent weather to test plastic in before that damn white stuff starts to fall from the sky. Then it is all dx/pro-d/s type plastic for about 3 months. And then testing will resume. As for disc's I am going to test out...

Hurricane (Replacement for my old run Star Destroyers, don't really care for the newer runs)
ESP Avenger SS/Pro Sidewinder (Replacement for my old SE Teebird...too flippy for rolling anymore)
X/ESP Comet (Replace the Pro D Buzzz in my bag as they get too flippy too fast)

Not really an offseason here since we still have tourneys in dec/jan but im trying

Q astra understable max d slot
Qjls. - fairway driver...similar to the leo..liking so far
Ridge - driving putter
Vp

Thats about it i think..those slots always seem to change in my bag and i need to find something that will stick.
Qjls has been promising and the few throws with the astra have been awesome

Off season indeed.

It is now Fall and with the big drop of leaves, it is now the most dangerous time for losing discs. Your disc may be fluorescent-vibrant-hot-whatever but under a stack of leaves it is invisible and a perfect shot to the center of the fairway may disappear. So now is the time to pull out anything you are not willing to risk losing-ESPECIALLY anything flippy-and test out new discs.

My favorite flip drivers and mids are going into the vault and the backups are coming out. I'm not sure any new molds will be coming out, though. I am not disappointed with any the molds in my bag or their flight potential. As far as I can tell the primary limitation of my current discs is the guy throwing them.

If I were smart enough I would pull out a dozen of the same mold of everything in my bag and test them in the field. How many great discs are sitting in our collections which we have never tested? A slight aberration of any mold we currently love may be just a bit more or less stable and give a natural flight path we have been searching for.

Winter plastic projects:

ESP Comet /Axis: Z Comets are so predictable that I have never given the ESP Comet a fair trial. I would like to see whether a seasoned ESP Comet can develop enough controllable turn to complement my light Z Comet. As an alternative, I would like to see whether a light Axis can replace the Comets altogether.

Pure: I vacillate on carrying one putter mold or two. I love the Ion, but sometimes miss having an understable putter in the bag. Even my practice Ions that live outside and regularly skip off macadam retain their stability, so I am hoping that the Pure will be easier to control for putter annys, hyzer-flips, and turnovers.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the discs I carry. As Mark said, the main problem is the guy throwing the discs . . .

Im gonna see how many DX rocs I can break in to the money spot before winter is over

Monocacy said:
Winter plastic projects:

ESP Comet /Axis: Z Comets are so predictable that I have never given the ESP Comet a fair trial. I would like to see whether a seasoned ESP Comet can develop enough controllable turn to complement my light Z Comet. As an alternative, I would like to see whether a light Axis can replace the Comets altogether.

Pure: I vacillate on carrying one putter mold or two. I love the Ion, but sometimes miss having an understable putter in the bag. Even my practice Ions that live outside and regularly skip off macadam retain their stability, so I am hoping that the Pure will be easier to control for putter annys, hyzer-flips, and turnovers.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the discs I carry. As Mark said, the main problem is the guy throwing the discs . . .

I can't comment on the Axis vs. Comet.

the Pure is ( o Y o ).

I'm interested in trying a Quasar. Maybe a Sword. The least used discs are my PD2 and Xtreme. Xtreme isn't going anywhere. The PD2 probably isn't going anywhere, but its the only thing that has a chance to go. I've had the same bag pretty much all year except cutting out the fat. I haven't said that ever. I'm content.

i am more going to work on replacing disc that i have lost or have beat to far

s scout i have one beat to comet stablity looking to beat another
x xs down to one seasoned one hoping to have a couple more by the end of winter and hopefully a real beat z as well
esp surge been throwing z far a while going to check out the other plastic.
new try out the slayer won one from a tourney

I wanted an overstable Roc to go with my Sannys and beat Ranchos but found that this past weekend in the USDGC Champ Roc+s so that's all set.

Now all I need is to try out some possible replacements for my Preds as everything else in my bag is here to stay. Suggestions? My issue with the Preds is they don't roll over fast enough when I thumb them which I assume is because I don't have the beef to get it out to a 300ft. thumb where I am sure Preds shine.