• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season disc tryouts

Dig It said:
I wanted an overstable Roc to go with my Sannys and beat Ranchos but found that this past weekend in the USDGC Champ Roc+s so that's all set.

Now all I need is to try out some possible replacements for my Preds as everything else in my bag is here to stay. Suggestions? My issue with the Preds is they don't roll over fast enough when I thumb them which I assume is because I don't have the beef to get it out to a 300ft. thumb where I am sure Preds shine.

So you want something that rolls quicker than a pred? that would be something less stable. What distance are you thumbing to and what type of thumber are you looking for? just a general get out of jail or approach thumber?

i did this kind of backwards and threw a lot of latitude over the summer. i liked a lot of it but i'm going back to a bag i'm familiar with, and trying a few new discs out. my putters and mids aren't changing, but i'm giving the td, pd, and predator a shot. i haven't thrown the destroyer in a while, and want to go back to it as a distance driver. been focusing on the putters and mids to much i feel lost when i need to choose max d driver to throw. as much as i love my teebirds i'm afraid the pd might push them out of the bag. so this is looking to be the winter setup:

wizard (carry 3-4)
gl fuse
buzzz (probably carry 2-3)
z wasp

leopard (150 class and 170 champ)
star teebird
td (trying s and c line in various weights)
pd (trying p and s line in various weights)
destroyer (trying various flavors of star/eco)
vip king for forehands
predator (trying various plastics and weights)

I will be seeing if the CFR Archon stays in the bag or the seasoned Wraiths come back.
I love Leopards and ELs but I have another love; TLs. Every time I take it out of the bag and then put it back in for a casual round I throw it more than the Leo/ELs. I have to sort this out.
Hurricanes?
Does the Sidewinder stay in if I have a both a Leopard and a Katanah in the bag?

Dang a 161 Vulcan is hurt by throwing low and having a stiff back fighting the thumb down arm motion of follow through>high good flights interspersed with rollers and anything between. Still it is barely usable, but i'd rather use a Sidewinder and something more stable in warp speed department. And i did not read the original long post :) So i may be very off topic.

Frank Delicious said:
Dig It said:
I wanted an overstable Roc to go with my Sannys and beat Ranchos but found that this past weekend in the USDGC Champ Roc+s so that's all set.

Now all I need is to try out some possible replacements for my Preds as everything else in my bag is here to stay. Suggestions? My issue with the Preds is they don't roll over fast enough when I thumb them which I assume is because I don't have the beef to get it out to a 300ft. thumb where I am sure Preds shine.

So you want something that rolls quicker than a pred? that would be something less stable. What distance are you thumbing to and what type of thumber are you looking for? just a general get out of jail or approach thumber?
I typically thumb from 80 to 180ft. and yea the Pred just doesn't turn enough (read as: at all) for me when I need it to get up and down over 40ft of tree line and out 150 ft. It would be more of the thumber drives that I am aiming to accomplished by the disc, but yea sometimes it is needed for an approach.

I love the Z Preds for flicks but it seems when I thumb it, it should be doing more work than staying essentially vertical the whole flight. I have had some decent success with Eagles for thumbing but they still don't come over for me enough. Perhaps I am having a form issue? I mean what is that Peddle Pusher wearing Euro, Village People throwing for thumbdog millionaires? That seems to be all I see him throw.

JR said:
Dang a 161 Vulcan is hurt by throwing low and having a stiff back fighting the thumb down arm motion of follow through>high good flights interspersed with rollers and anything between. Still it is barely usable, but i'd rather use a Sidewinder and something more stable in warp speed department. And i did not read the original long post :) So i may be very off topic.

I cannot comprehend any of your posts. this will be the last time I try to understand them. I will no longer be straining my brain trying to figure it out.

Dig It said:
Frank Delicious said:
Dig It said:

I typically thumb from 80 to 180ft. and yea the Pred just doesn't turn enough (read as: at all) for me when I need it to get up and down over 40ft of tree line and out 150 ft. It would be more of the thumber drives that I am aiming to accomplished by the disc, but yea sometimes it is needed for an approach.

I love the Z Preds for flicks but it seems when I thumb it, it should be doing more work than staying essentially vertical the whole flight. I have had some decent success with Eagles for thumbing but they still don't come over for me enough. Perhaps I am having a form issue? I mean what is that Peddle Pusher wearing Euro, Village People throwing for thumbdog millionaires? That seems to be all I see him throw.

For those short distances I usually use a beat up SOLF or my super beat eagle. A flippier disc will also flip quicker overhand so you can either just use your beat whatever fairway/controlled distance driver or you can put a sidewinder or RR or valk in the bag for that shot.

More overstable discs are useful for thumber over 220' or so I would say. If you can't thumb that far, use a less stable disc until you find the one that flips the right amount for you.

Frank Delicious said:
Dig It said:
Frank Delicious said:
Dig It said:

For those short distances I usually use a beat up SOLF or my super beat eagle. A flippier disc will also flip quicker overhand so you can either just use your beat whatever fairway/controlled distance driver or you can put a sidewinder or RR or valk in the bag for that shot.

More overstable discs are useful for thumber over 220' or so I would say. If you can't thumb that far, use a less stable disc until you find the one that flips the right amount for you.
Perfect. I might actually start thumbing with some Eagle Ls to help them beat faster to take the spot of my Roadrunners. Thanks Frank!

you could also try some midranges or even some putters. I use putters for a controlled approach tomahawks (like 150' and in) and it works pretty well.

i have found z and esp tracker thumber really well. I can go from 300'-100' feet with them just by changing release angle. roll faster then a pred and don't move side to side as much.

money 21 said:
i have found z and esp tracker thumber really well. I can go from 300'-100' feet with them just by changing release angle. roll faster then a pred and don't move side to side as much.

@ Dig it

i was going to suggest playing w/ the release angle on the preds to see what results you get as well as trying less stable discs, if youre leaving the wing to the right (rh thumber) and less vertical, you will get a faster flip, but also will get less D.

Roc Lover said:
money 21 said:

@ Dig it

i was going to suggest playing w/ the release angle on the preds to see what results you get as well as trying less stable discs, if youre leaving the wing to the right (rh thumber) and less vertical, you will get a faster flip, but also will get less D.

Also, i will be revisiting Destroyers, and trying swords. But im likely going to just have my PD be my primary distance driver and possibly work eagle/pd combo for the majority of my driver work. At the moment i am rocking PD/RR/Pred combo, and its great. I do pretty well with my roc/comet's at distances where others would use fairways, so im not sure ill need the eagles but ima try some out.

i am also looking foward to checking out the champ dart, and giving the flash another try out.

Frank, didn't you use to throw the Spirit in your overstable slot?

I might have to revisit the Leopard. I remember having a 175 that could shape some lines.

I gave Triflusal some grief when he suggested that I try a driver for more distance when I was sport bitching about my stable mid game. :oops: I'm going to give my star Leo more work and try out the Z and Glow Stalker for some easier tweener distance. Also, I've been RHFH to go right 330' max with warp speeders instead of using the Leo.

I'll also try as Mark suggests and pull out my unused S-TD or S-SW or Champ RR or S-Archon for longer turn right range instead of an anny with my understable DX TB. Any suggestions which one to start with?

sunspot said:
Frank, didn't you use to throw the Spirit in your overstable slot?

Yes I did but I gave up on them after they become inconsistent in their stability. Some were too stable to be useful and some threw like eagles and some were just right. Nice disc when it molds up right though. Grip is too shallow for some people though.

7ontheline said:
I'm going to give my star Leo more work and try out the Z and Glow Stalker for some easier tweener distance.

I highly recommend the Glo Stalker...it is a nice extension for a buzzz or roc thrower.

My bag is pretty set at the moment, however I will be adding an understable fairway to the bag for shots in between Buzzz and PD/TD range. I throw my Buzzz to about 350' and PD/TD combo covers the lines 375+, So I'll be trying to find something to fill that 350-375 range accurately and reliably.

Used to throw a Stalker but it doesn't glide well and has to be thrown just as hard as my Buzzz to get very similar distance. Think I might give the Eagle-L a shot or possibly Leopards.