• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season disc tryouts

I messed around today with a Banger GT. This is a really good disc.

I was out doing putting practice and grabbed a stack of putters. I remembered how well I liked the Banger the last time I brought it out for wind duty. The groove in the flight plate (GT = groove top) fits beautifully for my putting grip. The plastic felt great (it was in soft D but a relatively stiff version of soft) and I kept on hitting putts with it. The Banger is Discraft's most overstable putter but you can putt with anything which feels good in the hand. It is easy to adjust to stability inside the circle.

Some of the big armed boys throw a Banger handily over 300' and it handles a strong snap well. The Banger is making a play for the starting line up.

Mark you should hop on some Z-Bangers. And then when you get them, sell them to me. Those things are aaaaamazing.

Random disc I decided to try out the other day: r-pro dart.

Random disc that is gonna stick in the bag for a while for a longer tryout: r-pro dart.

Seriously a fun disc to throw.

Frank Delicious said:
Random disc I decided to try out the other day: r-pro dart.

Random disc that is gonna stick in the bag for a while for a longer tryout: r-pro dart.

Seriously a fun disc to throw.
And nearly indestructible to boot. If it were better at being a putter I'd instantly put it in my bag. Probably my current disc of choice for one disc rounds.

Trey133 said:
Mark you should hop on some Z-Bangers. And then when you get them, sell them to me. Those things are aaaaamazing.

I don't recall ever seeing a Banger in Z plastic. If I did it may not have made an impression anyway as I'm not a fan of Putters in candy plastic, at least for putting purposes.

The Ringer and Zone in Z were sweet though.

Jumping on the bandwagon and testing out the Ion this winter. I usually don't have any problem with premium plastic putters so grip shouldn't be an issue. They do feel really good in the hand and I like how they got rid of the tooling/textured bottom.

Picked up two softs (which feel a little stiffer than my old run soft). Anyone use them for driving/approaching only? I could see them taking over this spot in my bag, not sure if they can kick out the KC Aviars during the warmer months though.

Mark Ellis said:
Trey133 said:

I don't recall ever seeing a Banger in Z plastic. If I did it may not have made an impression anyway as I'm not a fan of Putters in candy plastic, at least for putting purposes.

I'd love to get my hands on a Z Zone!

what'shisname said:
Mark Ellis said:
Trey133 said:

I'd love to get my hands on a Z Zone!
i got to throw a z ringer a couple times and love that disc. I think both the ringer and zone would excell in the sparkle x plastic. also found a stack of hpp demons a friend gave me going to try them against my esp zones.

Mark Ellis said:
Trey133 said:

Michael Jo and Andrew Coggins from your Discraft compadre's are super into them. Probably one of the most overstable (non zone) putters ever that still has good glide.

juju said:
Jumping on the bandwagon and testing out the Ion this winter. I usually don't have any problem with premium plastic putters so grip shouldn't be an issue. They do feel really good in the hand and I like how they got rid of the tooling/textured bottom.

Picked up two softs (which feel a little stiffer than my old run soft). Anyone use them for driving/approaching only? I could see them taking over this spot in my bag, not sure if they can kick out the KC Aviars during the warmer months though.
Yep, me. I'm currently using a new run Soft for anything that requires umph and an old run, SB Soft for more finesse approaches. Learning how to flick these has breathed a lot of new life into my approach game. I'd like to try a newer 160s one against the SB Ion, just to see what the differences would be.

that roadrunner thread has gotten me thinking about trying out some of the following: roadrunner, OLS, and TD

we will see

Triflusal said:
that roadrunner thread has gotten me thinking about trying out some of the following: roadrunner, OLS, and TD

we will see
If you try the qols you will need to give it some time to break in. They start out a little overstable.

I'm going with a tentative winter set up of:

PD: Seems like it would be a good max D control driver for winter standstills and forehands in the MN snow. Auditioning for some combo of the Teebird/Pred slots in my tournament bag
Roadrunner: Effortless distance and easy distance turnovers are always a plus when you're up to your taint in snow.
Axis
Ion

The Axis and Ion are just too intriguing to not try, but my bag has been built around the Buzzz/Aviar for two years now and change is hard! The fact that all my putters are white and my Buzzzes are pretty, and I don't want to lose them, makes it easier to take them out of the bag and try something else.

I view the snow as an enemy, but one that can teach you like a tough sensei to overcome the conditions. Making you a better overall player. FH is extremely useful in the snow, but so is a change to the summer bag. Because running is limited and eventually impossible, people should try to use discs with minimal power requirement and a lot of distance for that class of discs. In fact stand stills can change the role of some discs. Like making a straight stable disc into a moderately overstable one and a tweener between a mid and a FW driver take over the role of a FW driver.

Usual suspects for snow stand stills with long distance for minimal power input are Kite, Skeeter, Squall, Comet, Ion, River, Leopard, new stabilized Sidewinder and probably Diamond. I've been eyeing the Diamond for winter duty. Of course 150 class of regular discs can help too for stand stills.

Steve said:
Triflusal said:

we will see
If you try the qols you will need to give it some time to break in. They start out a little overstable.

The QOLS's I have vary in stability when new but most of them start out like an orc or beast. The SOLS starts out a bit less stable but the problem I've had with them is they go from a good stability to super squirrelly in no time once they beat up to a certain point.

The bright yellow and merlot ones were the best colors of QOLS for me. I have a blue that would turn from the get go. I wouldn't call any of them overstable to start, just stable. It is a mini-wraith for me

I just bought a new R-Pro Pig the other day to try out. The day I got it the winds were howling at the course and it ended up seeing a lot of action. I don't usually like R-Pro, but this disc feels nice and seems pretty durable. It has a nice stiffness in the winter temps.

I've stripped my bag down to just two drivers for the winter since we have tons of snow and are limited to two shorter courses. I am carrying a newer DX Eagle x and an X-out Star Roadrunner. My experience with Eagles is pretty limited, but it's a nice stability I think to complement the Roadrunner. I'm finding this to work pretty well.

I need to get a new Opto Core so that I can pull my used one for the winter and save it from being buried in snow. I also need a new Pain. Other than that, I think I'm pretty set. I might mess about with a different putter again for a while though if I get bored...

I just bought an E* leopard that I am testing out as well as a champ sidewinder. The roadrunner has recently made the bag as well as the z comet. I'll be trying out an esp comet in the near future.

My main focus for this winter will be working on my sidearm form with flippy discs. Right now I am just torque-ing the crap outta bosses. It works but is becoming a crutch.

I definitely will also be beating in some rocs this winter as I've cracked 2 in the last month.