• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season disc tryouts

Booter said:
Looks likeill be trying ions out for a driver putter this winter

I was getting 350-375 with ease, those things just go. Pretty neutral flight too.

Not sold on them for putting yet, but I'm going to give it a few more weeks.

Still really liking the dart and RR but today I was looking through my discs for a couple of rocs for ATL Scott and I remembered I had some northman I picked up a while ago. A couple of those might have to go back in the bag for understable line shaping duties as the first runs really beat in nicely to controllable flippy drivers.

As for the dart, I am having problems controlling the distance on the thing. Much like when I first started with a comet I was overthrowing a lot of shots with it.

got a couple ions in the mail along with the foci i ordered, also giving a HPP gummy demon a shot, good weather today for disc testing, and LOVING THE ZONE!!! no matter how hard i forehand this thing it will not turn over! exactly what i needed

So far, really liking the Hurricane. I have a couple of regular runs as well as a couple of sparkle and players cup editions. I am able to cover anything from ridiculously overstable to a long bomb s-curve. I also am really digging on the ace race disc from this year. A friend of mine hooked me up with a 180g esp version. It's like throwing a magic, but with more glide and distance. It's great to throw on downhill midrange holes as the sucker just glides forever.

So far my switch back to rocs has resulted in me hitting midrange lines in the woods WAY better at the expense of not being able to throw mids in the 320+ range without significant height. These rocs are also overlapping hard with my super awesome beat classic rocs and it makes me sad to take them out of the bag. Also, i'm finding pro destroyers suprisingly easy to throw but these z nukes are doing nothing for me until I get used to the rim being that large and finally get some snap on those bastards.

I am really liking the Ion, so much that might have to try out an Axis or a Vector. Will be tough for anything to replace my Buzzz/Drone combo though. Is the Vector even worth it? Doesn't seem like it is a very popular mold.

The vector is ok as an overstable mid but as an overstable mid that takes forever to break in it is about as useful as a Champ roc or Z wasp, so if you find that type of mid useful, than you should give the vector a look. It was harder for me to forehand than either of those two mids though.

Vector is definitely worth it. It's not a meathook like the Drone, but a very solid overstable mid in the vein of a champ Rancho.

With cold weather approaching, it's almost time to take my beat up wizards and rocs out for fear of breakage. In the past I've used a magic for flippy putter stuff which works fine but I may try an ion out this year just because. Last year I used a star mako for my neutral / understable mid stuff and enjoyed it, I'm thinking about paring it with an MD2 this year for more stable things - good idea?

I'm sure there are those of you out there that have to shelf your beat in wizards and rocs in the winter, what do you guys use in place?

got my hands on some cheap first run star gremlins(discmania run). someone brought in a bunch of factory seconds they sold back for store credit. This plastic is about as champy-star as they get. someone of them are pretty much opaque champion but say star. I like the feel of these much better than the soft star runs

giving them another go around. I liked the disc but it competed too much with the sentinel, which is now out of the bag

Have there been Discmania S-GM's that aren't champystar? Never seen one.

yeah there are some which are just plain star. the grip is slicker. the ones I have seen are yellow

zj1002 said:
yeah there are some which are just plain star. the grip is slicker. the ones I have seen are yellow

Second on the slickness. I've also seen some blue ones.

demon failed, loving the comets and ions and found x out gateway warriors that i can flick all day!, also tested out the boss and now sits in my bag :)

JR said:
That's too obvious. I mean too plain and simple to be a troll too. Ion.
The current clear IONs would work better at replacing a brand new Wizard.