• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season disc tryouts

Hi again Frankie!

Putter
I'm going to be working between challengers and warlocks.

Mids
I am rather set here on the Roc Comet combo but... the Buzzz may be given a try...

Fairways
I have some cyclones I am happy with but I want to try out the star gaz and FD.

overstable utility
Predator but I keep wanting to try a Tsunami just to see if it will fit my style better... but I don't know if this is a waste of time.

money 21 said:
the squirrel is making a strong bid for the bag. hit some amazing lines with it today.

What would you compare it to- Innova, Discraft, Lat, etc? I've thrown Meteors, Glides, Comets, beat Buzzz, any of those compare? Been thinking about giving one a tryout

curveball4 said:
money 21 said:
the squirrel is making a strong bid for the bag. hit some amazing lines with it today.

What would you compare it to- Innova, Discraft, Lat, etc? I've thrown Meteors, Glides, Comets, beat Buzzz, any of those compare? Been thinking about giving one a tryout
it is more of a touch faster x comet. it is as fast as a glide but a bit slower turn. one of my friends who is a roc guy loves the squirrel as the understable comp. it didn't make my bag because the wedge powers down better and i don't want to carry more then 7 mold. but it is a great disc. i would rate it a -.5 on the discraft scale.

Been messing around with a few different discs the last month or so.

Proline Aftershock: Like a broken in DX Roc in premium plastic for me. Nice flight on just about any line and was getting a little more distance than I expected from it. Not a ground breaker disc but I like being different and wanted to find something other than a Roc. (I normally cycle DX/KC Rocs and hate the Buzzz in any plastic). Still need to get out and work with it a little more but initial throws have been positive. See what happens when snow clears and I get a chance to throw it on some other courses where I use Rocs a bunch. Really need to get out and do a head-to-head comparison.

Proline Shockwave: What I have been looking for in an overstable mid. Not a shot that I use a lot in normal conditions but nice knowing I have a disc I can pull out of the bag when I need that fade. I had been powering down with a Z Pred but I like being able to throw the Shockwave full force when I'm in woods and don't want to take that chance of underpowering a Z Pred or getting my release angle wrong. It's really been more of a hyzer wind mid for me. I know it will hold the line and still get me some distance. I tried the Drone for this shot but it was just too much meat for me up here and I would always come up short of where I wanted no matter how much nut I put behind it. KC Rocs just didn't have the fade I was looking for in this spot and would often times flatten out too much in the wind.

Proline Squall: This has been a nice surprise. I tried them a few years ago when I wasn't as good with my form and it went back to the used bin. Was in the store a few weeks back and decided to give it another go. Have to say it really is like a midrange driver for me now a days. It almost reminds me of a Z Storm. Just a nice stable flight with a touch of fade at the end. I haven't really aired it out but it was getting the same distance as my DX Gazelles on some holes at the local course where I need to get through the trees. The premium plastic is nice for this. When the snow clears, I'm excited to give this some more rips and see what it can really do for me these days. It could possibly kick the DX Gazelles out but I still like having those around when I need to flip a disc on a lower power shot through the woods.

Champ Archon: This thing is bombing for me. (I really can't take much more rim width than this speed of disc and had a hard time finding a consistent release with Destroyers and similar rims). Maybe it is just my throws but it seems to want to lift on it's own better than a Wraith does for me when given the same power and height. I haven't been able to give a full range of throws, just straight ahead distance but thinking this will be a great distance turnover disc when the snow clears and starts beating up more. Again, this isn't a break through disc but it feels good in my hand and has been easy distance for me.

Anyway, those are some new discs to the bag for try outs. Most seem like they are going to stick/bump others out but need to get out and do a little more with them when conditions allow.

I have been struggling with distance drivers now that my noob noodle arm situation seems to be resolved. I am getting 400'+ with nukes and gl flows. I was pretty excited that I can get that distance in 1 1/2 yrs of playing.

Predator vs. Force - Headwind distance driver, any suggestions or advice there?

Teebirds vs Strikers - Fairway driver. I carry 2 star birds in different stages of wear and a perfectly seasoned opto Striker. I have a new opto striker as well. I am putting the striker past my teebirds by 20-40'. But I can shape lines better with the birds.

Nuke vs Flow - Stable/Understable Distance Driver. Started throwing nukes a few weeks ago. Prior was flat GL Flow. I didn't like the opto Flow stability.

I've been having a great time throwing my DX Firebirds. I'm finding all sorts of new lines on the courses and I'm starting to throw more flex shots, even short ones just to try and find easier paths. I've been really surprised how well these glide and how far I'm pushing them. I'm throwing higher 160s weight which seems to be just the right balance between not enough and too much fade. I think I'm going to give my Predators another shot the next round I play but I think the FBs might be taking their spot for a while.

AikoAdam said:
I have been struggling with distance drivers now that my noob noodle arm situation seems to be resolved. I am getting 400'+ with nukes and gl flows. I was pretty excited that I can get that distance in 1 1/2 yrs of playing.

Predator vs. Force - Headwind distance driver, any suggestions or advice there?

Teebirds vs Strikers - Fairway driver. I carry 2 star birds in different stages of wear and a perfectly seasoned opto Striker. I have a new opto striker as well. I am putting the striker past my teebirds by 20-40'. But I can shape lines better with the birds.

Nuke vs Flow - Stable/Understable Distance Driver. Started throwing nukes a few weeks ago. Prior was flat GL Flow. I didn't like the opto Flow stability.

Headwind = Z Pred Headwind distance = Z force

slowarm said:
Going to try some light weight putters, 150-class. Loving my Wizards and Magics, but I'm afraid they only go down to 165g or so. What should I try, Aviar and Omega? What other light weight putters are the on market?

Got me a couple of 150g Aviars. I like some other putters better, but these are easy to get here so I decided to give them a try. I'm pretty bad at putting and it's freezing here, so my fingers were numb blah blah plus all the other excuses. After one 45 minute training session on a cold dead calm day I don't know if I should go on with these or not. They are very easy to throw, long distance putting with minimal power. Good thing, right? Unfortunately, they are not in the basket, but all over the place. It's very hard for me to "feel the weight" (can't describe it better) of the light weight putter. For comparison I threw a Wizard/Warlock after every throw with an Aviar and it just felt better, even if I had to use more power.

I'll give them another chance when it's a bit warmer. If I don't like them...nah, this isn't/wasn't a very expensive experience.

It takes a while to get use to 150 aviars. The thing you have to remember about them is they are dead straight when throw right. You don't need to worry about hyzer or anything. Just aim at the basket. Which is a lot different than a lot of other putters as you have to play a bit of fade.

The X Nuke has made my bag for understable Max D, more reliable and longer than the nuke ss or Vulcan. Just keep it out of the trees.

Funny thing this "off" season. I'm throwing my best ever. Enjoying the sunny 50-60 degree weather here in Ohio...in January...lol...

Frank Delicious said:
It takes a while to get use to 150 aviars. The thing you have to remember about them is they are dead straight when throw right. You don't need to worry about hyzer or anything. Just aim at the basket. Which is a lot different than a lot of other putters as you have to play a bit of fade.

the nice thing about 150g putters is they show form flaws very well. Even with putters a max weight disc can hide some form flaws, even just putting. I know for a while I'd give my putt a little anny on accident maybe 1 out of 25 putts. Spend 10 minutes with a 150g putter and I learn to stop doing that :)