• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off season disc tryouts

Haven't tried a Polecat yet. Might give a shot.

Looks like I can't get a 150 class Wizard/Magic/Warlock here (Finland). I'd love to try them, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to pay the greasy shipping costs. Anyway, give me a hint, where to order 150g Wizards?

Triflusal said:
that roadrunner thread has gotten me thinking about trying out some of the following: roadrunner, OLS, and TD

we will see
bought a 171 star roadrunner and its the most fun i have had throwing a disc in a while. I always under utilize understable stuff

1. How stable is the S-GM compared to other stable mids? Does it have decent glide? Is it more similar in speed to a buzz or a roc?

2. Is a Pig pretty much like throwing a zone that skips less? (I would hope)

Less HSS than Buzzzes and Rocs and slightly more LSS than a Z Buzzz. OK glide, pretty fast and long on s-curves, not that different from Buzzz line drives, but flip to flat and then an earlier harder fade cuts the D to under Buzzz line drive level. Pigs do skip and it is somewhat less, and flight is closer to ESP Zone than Pro D.

My experience has been a bit different. They start out more stable than Buzzzes, at about Roc stability. As they beat in they've first become very straight and after that really workable on all sorts of lines. They're faster than either the Buzzz or Roc, but don't really glide all that well IMHO, easy to control distance with power. Some people use them in different stages of wear, sort of like a faster and less glidey Roc. I used seasoned ones for straight'ish shots and anhyzers quite a bit before the MD2 came out, which is better on lower lines.

Some start out really freakishly overstable (like Drone level), but they always seem to lose that in a couple of weeks and become normal GM's after that. If they held on to that overstability for longer I'd still throw them. Different variations of the MD2 do the neutral and understable thing better for me than the GM.

JR said:
My S GM has always flipped. Maybe it's not a good one.
Admittedly I've only thrown around 5 different S-GM's, but the only ones that have turned have been used for at least one season.

D-GM's have started out neutral and beaten into understable quite nicely though.

giving the flying squirrel another run. pulling the inferno for now i have a seasoned esp surge that is making the same shots as the inferno.

I got to try out a flying squirrel over thanksgiving and it's a pretty nice disc. I would think about giving it a real test if I could get them locally easier.

dgfanatic7 said:
i dont see how i can see anybody throwing a disc called the flying squirrel
I seem to recall there was a specific flying squirrel in mind when this disc was named.

title-rocky.gif

the squirrel is making a strong bid for the bag. hit some amazing lines with it today.

Picked up a couple blaze orange dx discs for the winter snow we'll eventually get and decided to grab a Gazelle to try out. I'll be giving it a shot tomorrow and I'm interested in finally seeing what all the fuss is about. Thinking it might be a good fit for the 2-3 disc rounds.

Frank Delicious said:
So it is almost November and most of us that play tourneys are starting to have weekends free again. That means it's time for us to try out new discs and maybe re-evaluate our current set ups. What was a weakness in your bag this year? Has your game changed over the past 9 months and now you find yourself with discs that don't do what you need them to do anymore? Well while you try out those new discs and new set ups, posts those new discs or what you are looking for in a new disc here because, why not, we'll all be crazed and mumbling by February anyway.

Discs I'm gonna give a serious workout this fall/winter with a brief description of why:

Leopard (star/pro): I love ELs, love them a whole bunch. They are like longer leopards but it is hard to get one beat in to where it needs to be for a nice flippy driver since the DX is too flippy and the champ takes forever to break in. Star and pro leopards take much less time to break in and after losing my flippy EL early this year, it has been a struggle to find another EL that will fill that spot and I have mostly been using a powered down SOLF for this shot. That is a bit of a problem because while the SOLF powers down well, if I power it down too much to make the distance fit, it doesn't always flip properly.

Roadrunner: same reason as the leo really but with SOLFs.

Omega APs: I have noticed that while I love aviars, especially the BB DX ones, I hardly ever need a putter that stable as what they start out as anymore. I think I might just cut out the middle man of beating them in and start driving with the disc that throws like a beat in one.

firebirds: Eagles and Preds are starting to clash in my bag. Nicely beat preds throw a lot like slightly beat eagles. I love them both a whole bunch but eagles were here first and I love eagles a whole bunch. Like a million. A million loves. whatever. So I need something in the overstable slot that is significantly different than the eagle and that is where the firebird comes into play. It will get less use than the pred but it will stop causing internal conflict in me between the pred and the eagle.

E*DD2: Love me some destroyers but have a couple of these I've been messing with and have been throwing them really well. Nothing else really, just another max d disc to test out

Xcal/Quasar: these fall into the same spot in my bag so I'm just gonna talk about them together. Stable destroyers were my stable distance driver for this whole summer. they are quite nice and useful except during heavy winds. So I'm gonna start messing with the quasar and xcal now that I have more power and see how they work for me.

So there ya go. Whatcha think? What are you gonna mess with this winter during those brief freezing cold rounds?

update on these:

Leo/EL are losing out to the FD which is getting tested out in that spot.

RRs got booted for Valks first then SOLSs later which is really just a return to what I did throw back in the day

The firebird is still in the bag but has really been being used as a utility disc more than a overstable driver. The courses around here really don't require me to throw too many shots that need to turn hard or into heavy headwinds.

The DD2 was eh and wasn't good enough to take the destroyer out. The Xcal was the same. The Quasar on the other hand was good enough to find a spot in the bag and has been getting good use.

Omega's have stuck and now I actually like throwing SM aviars/Omegas more than BB aviars.

I'm working with a lot of discs that I've had lying around but don't often throw, also trying out some new things.

QJLS, Champion Cheetah- It's nice to have one of these in the bag, but it's really not necessary since I carry EL's.

Dropped the Buzzz, added Z Comets- Giving these a run again since I NEED to learn to power down for slower, controlled shots.

S-Sentinel- a great disc that I don't often need. A powered-down Eagle behaves similarly.

Proline Tsunami- Hoping I can get this to be as sweet as my worn ESP Pred.

150 QOLF- Really trying to develop a solid thumber. This is easy to throw, but somehow I still manage to hurt my arm on these throws.

GL & Opto River- I love these discs, they bomb. I like the wide diameter and the smaller rim, and they still fly as far as my Valkyries. Unfortunately, I'm pretty heavily invested in Valks and I just don't see a need to drop them.

new ontario cobra - replace old ontarios? i also have to make sure about the overlap between premium plastic cobras and axes.

pro destroyer (blizzard too maybe?) - max D

z surge - max D...in the bag before the flow, figured if im testing the destroyer might as well test the surge too.

flat/new run vector - always threw 1st runs, apparently these are slightly less stable.

lighter weights of the discs i already have in the bag.

Latest posts