• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Official Discraft ZONE Thread

Okay Discraft really needs to get some consistency in their marketing. This stamp, which is really nice BTW, looks like it came from a completely different disc manufacturer than Discraft. At least with Dynamic, Innova and others the stamps are relatively consistent and look like they all come from the same factory. And whoever is drawing up some of those Big-Z stamps just needs to stop. It worked well for the Buzz and Zone but give it a rest. Yeeesh

First world problems.

(And the new stamp looks good. :thmbup:)

Well if alot of people "b!tch" on Discraft about the number system, stamps and media support they might do something about it.......o wait, they just have ;)

Yep, looks like they're trying some new things, good on them.

Production Ti Zones makes me very happy though. I'll wait till I can grab one at a shop.

Okay Discraft really needs to get some consistency in their marketing. This stamp, which is really nice BTW, looks like it came from a completely different disc manufacturer than Discraft. At least with Dynamic, Innova and others the stamps are relatively consistent and look like they all come from the same factory. And whoever is drawing up some of those Big-Z stamps just needs to stop. It worked well for the Buzz and Zone but give it a rest. Yeeesh

Cut them some slack. Innova has changed how their stamps look quite a bit over the years. DD hasn't been around long enough to make any major changes to their stamps. They seem to be overhauling their image, give it more than first day release to make a judgement on how their new look is doing.

I will agree that some of the bigZ stamps are not so good. Acetone easily fixes that though. Some are really cool though, like the mantis, new vulture, and undertaker.

Yep, looks like they're trying some new things, good on them.

Production Ti Zones makes me very happy though. I'll wait till I can grab one at a shop.

Yeah, I'll pick one up when they reach a retailer that describes the profile.
Z-FLX Zones are still my jam, though.

My current Ti Zones are board flat, how are the new Ti molding up? Are the new swirly ESP puddle top?

Also waiting to hear feedback. I love my Z-FLX zone, it's super beefy. Was wondering how the newer runs of Ti are for stability, and if It could be more stable. I've got an older Ti buzzz which is super stable.

I've got a Big Z and 10 year on the way. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time for field work/practice rounds next week.

Did get some use of my Z-FLX this past weekend...spike hyzered onto a concrete footpath. I'd cringe at the sound of any other plastic taking that hit, but a blunt nosed Z-FLX disc can handle it. Over 2 years in the bag (really old disc for me) and just as reliable as it was new.

I guess it is okay, but nothing special. Doesn't suit the disc at all though. It is no where near a must have design. To be fair though, I am not sure what a good stamp for the Zone would be.

Thought I'd ping you on this thread to ask about your Zone cycle. I just put a soft X back in the bag to go with my Ti. Always loved how the soft X sticks, also was reminded how easily it gets thrashed though a lighter fixes the rough spots pretty well.

Details please, what plastics are you cycling?

I got a couple of the new 170g Ti Zones from Nate Heinold. They are super flat. Not puddle topped just board flat. The plastic is interesting in which it has a certain rigidity in the rim but has a slight flexibility to the plastic. It feels a lot like the 2015 Ledgestone Ti Zones but tackier and of course much more flat. They actually feel similar to the Ti FLX Zones from the same year but more rigid.

I took them out and threw them against a 174g Ti Zone and a 176g ESP Zone that are barely used. The new blend Ti Zone was fantastic! It was quite overstable and was just a bit more overstable than both the 2015 Ti Zone and ESP Zone even though it is 4-6 grams lighter respectively. I look forward to getting some max weight ones to see if there is any additional beef.

Thought I'd ping you on this thread to ask about your Zone cycle. I just put a soft X back in the bag to go with my Ti. Always loved how the soft X sticks, also was reminded how easily it gets thrashed though a lighter fixes the rough spots pretty well.

Details please, what plastics are you cycling?

I am sad to say I have never tried the X-Soft. I really should, but just never got around to it for some reason. I cycle Pro-D. None of mine are the crappy waxy feeling Pro-D I felt felt before. I honestly only have a few (the two newer ones I have I am trying to beat into backups of the really beat one that I am in love with). The new ones have lots of "bruises" but no cuts, and I am not gentle with these things. I don't play in a rocky area though. I have been happy/frustrated with how long they are taking to break in. The beat up one is at least 5 years old (I got it used). Although I stopped throwing it for a couple of years before going back to it with a vengeance 1.5 years ago, it flies the same as when I first got it (FYI, I throw it more than any disc other than my putting putter). I really hope the ones that I am beating in are going to do the same once they get to the same flight.

I am sad to say I have never tried the X-Soft. I really should, but just never got around to it for some reason. I cycle Pro-D. None of mine are the crappy waxy feeling Pro-D I felt felt before. I honestly only have a few (the two newer ones I have I am trying to beat into backups of the really beat one that I am in love with). The new ones have lots of "bruises" but no cuts, and I am not gentle with these things. I don't play in a rocky area though. I have been happy/frustrated with how long they are taking to break in. The beat up one is at least 5 years old (I got it used). Although I stopped throwing it for a couple of years before going back to it with a vengeance 1.5 years ago, it flies the same as when I first got it (FYI, I throw it more than any disc other than my putting putter). I really hope the ones that I am beating in are going to do the same once they get to the same flight.

Very interesting, what kind of flight numbers would you say the beat Ds are flying? I have a little trouble dialing in my N Envy for forehand, I doubt there's a Zone on earth that I can't forehand.

Soft X definitely gets gouged but it responds pretty well to a touch of heat and shapes back up. Major puddle top, which I really like. I might see what this one beats into.

Got to throw new zones today! I'm going to say from least stable to most overstable it went: Ti - Z-FLX - Big Z.

-Ti: The new Ti plastic looks and feels great, got a stiff yet gummy feeling to them. The rim is very dense compared to the thin flight plate. Still the overstable Zone we love, but no crazy fade or dump. Nice and controllable. In my opinion some of the older runs of Ti plastic was stiffer and more stable.

Z-FLX: this is what I was using in my bag for the past couple months. It is more overstable than pro-d, x-soft, and ESP. Super gummy, the rim feels really beefy, takes a beating and still fades hard. Definitely a tick more stable than the new Ti however.

Big Z: this one surprised me. Max weight 175g in a new plastic blend for this disc. The new Big Z plastic is great, it's got more grip to it than the older stuff (I have an older big z comet that is slick). Real stiff, and board flat flight plate. This thing put my Z-FLX to shame, it dove out of my hand and started fighting for the ground immediately. I could pump this one out harder and farther than the rest. This plastic skips a little bit aswell (ESP skips the most). Big Z definitely made it into the bag! Just a super feeling / flying reliable zone (that will last a long time).

Not many use Zone where I live. They want a disc so overstable it almost boomerangs back on the player that is a power player. as they want a bag for the days my town has winds 30 mph or over and steady with gusts beyond that so they can play in heavy wind. In fact those players want to make a special ]beyond overstable disc bag for mega wind days so they can "win" tournaments in the division they play in with winds beyond 30 mph steady, gusts are beyond that. Using discs that would only work in mega wind. The others want a disc that feels like a Zone/Harp but flies like a Colt or Dart or they have the disc they want be it a Zone or other similar disc, some try to get a Pig in standard Pro, if not they settle for R-Pro as local place sells only Innova, Millennium, and Discmania but mostly the Innova and Discmania.

I have been wanting to try a zone for quite a bit here so I ordered a new esp one and a jawbreaker. It just keeps snowing so I haven't had a chance to throw either of them yet, but damn that jawbreaker plastic feels cheap as hell. I feel like there is no way that plastic is going to make it throw a single three hit, but I hope I am wrong.

I have been wanting to try a zone for quite a bit here so I ordered a new esp one and a jawbreaker. It just keeps snowing so I haven't had a chance to throw either of them yet, but damn that jawbreaker plastic feels cheap as hell. I feel like there is no way that plastic is going to make it throw a single three hit, but I hope I am wrong.

Jawbreaker is basically a slightly better / cooler looking version of pro-D

I love the feel of Jawbreaker. Velvety when brushed over, tacky when gripped. I sometimes throw my JB roaches when I need a gentle turning approach, but they do get chewed up on rocks and trees.

Latest posts