• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One leg drill, stupid question.

You can have terrible form and get out to 350. The gains you make in the first 3 months of field work are exponential. It's like going on a diet and dropping 10 pounds the first two weeks.

I've been going to the field 3-4 times a week since March. I got up to 350 feet pretty quickly. I've been stuck around there ever since. Why am I stuck? I haven't been able to break my horrible habit of coming over the top, rotating my hips too early, and throwing while still on my back leg. The concept of shifting your lower body under your upper body and making a linear move into the brace is really difficult. That said, I would guess that a year from now, I'll be throwing at least 50 - 100 feet further than you, because I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. People have already figured out how to throw backhand far. Why not just take their advice and spend your time trying to throw correctly? Its going to take a lot of work to break this habit you have of coming over the top, trust me. It will be even more difficult since you seem to have convinced yourself that you've figured something out in 3 months of disc golf that no one in this forum with their decades of experience has figured out.

You can have terrible form and get out to 350. The gains you make in the first 3 months of field work are exponential. It's like going on a diet and dropping 10 pounds the first two weeks.

I've been going to the field 3-4 times a week since March. I got up to 350 feet pretty quickly. I've been stuck around there ever since. Why am I stuck? I haven't been able to break my horrible habit of coming over the top, rotating my hips too early, and throwing while still on my back leg. The concept of shifting your lower body under your upper body and making a linear move into the brace is really difficult. That said, I would guess that a year from now, I'll be throwing at least 50 - 100 feet further than you, because I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. People have already figured out how to throw backhand far. Why not just take their advice and spend your time trying to throw correctly? Its going to take a lot of work to break this habit you have of coming over the top, trust me. It will be even more difficult since you seem to have convinced yourself that you've figured something out in 3 months of disc golf that no one in this forum with their decades of experience has figured out.
Maybe I just have things figured put differently than you. Who knows? What does coming over the top in disc golf even mean?

None of those things you mentioned I have a problem with. I love my shift, my rotation, Im throwing off my front leg, it's easy, it's fluid. So I am baffled why you think you will be 50-100 feet further than me next year? I guess this time next year we will have to see?

It's one reason I don't buy into all these strange drills that we see nowadays. I think we don't really understand what's happening.

Yeah man. I also strongly advice you not to go down your personal path. You can't play around with biomechanics. There is only one correct kinetic chain to throwing discs. Any other is incorrect and will hinder efficiency. Your new way of throwing will simply not work. You can try to prove us wrong, but your way really just seems like you're just getting better at muscling the disc. You won't be hitting large numbers by muscling the disc. You will also injure yourself, get tired sooner and not have as much fun.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Maybe I just have things figured put differently than you. Who knows? What does coming over the top in disc golf even mean?

None of those things you mentioned I have a problem with. I love my shift, my rotation, Im throwing off my front leg, it's easy, it's fluid. So I am baffled why you think you will be 50-100 feet further than me next year? I guess this time next year we will have to see?

It's one reason I don't buy into all these strange drills that we see nowadays. I think we don't really understand what's happening.
Did someone say your shift and rotation are good. Or is this just your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Your weight is still balanced on your back leg when you are at the hit. I know it feels like you are on your front leg and it feels correct but it just isn't. Your momentum is still moving backwards at the top of the back swing, your not getting that lag from shifting from behind, and your still balanced on that back leg at the hit. You can definitely hit 350ish throwing like this, but you'll never hit your potential. Also, the more you throw like this, the harder it will be to break the muscle memory.

Also - most of the "silly" drills on this site are created by people who understand the kinetic chain and how it relates to disc golf better than you or me or possibly anyone else in the world. So I'm gonna keep doing those silly drills, and you do you

Attachments

• 55705D64-DD5C-4C22-8CFF-EE8B04498686.jpg
    55705D64-DD5C-4C22-8CFF-EE8B04498686.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 13
Is he happy?

I've been playing 3 months and hitting 350 every time I go out and throw.

I don't believe you throw anywhere near 350 feet, especially with your jacked up form.

350 feet is a lot further than most people realize.

I don't believe you throw anywhere near 350 feet, especially with your jacked up form.

350 feet is a lot further than most people realize.

Well, where I throw is along a fence line that we put in years ago and the posts are twenty feet apart. Coupled with the Google maps it's within 5-10 feet.

I know I am throwing that far because I am hitting holes in the 300-330 feet range on the courses I play at on less than max effort throws.

Your weight is still balanced on your back leg when you are at the hit. I know it feels like you are on your front leg and it feels correct but it just isn't. Your momentum is still moving backwards at the top of the back swing, your not getting that lag from shifting from behind, and your still balanced on that back leg at the hit. You can definitely hit 350ish throwing like this, but you'll never hit your potential. Also, the more you throw like this, the harder it will be to break the muscle memory.

Also - most of the "silly" drills on this site are created by people who understand the kinetic chain and how it relates to disc golf better than you or me or possibly anyone else in the world. So I'm gonna keep doing those silly drills, and you do you

What do you mean by the hit? Are you speaking of the release point or what?

I'm telling y'all...this is straight up trolling.

Yep.

What I don't understand is why people keep trying to explain proper throwing mechanics to him. He's not interested, and never was interested in learning how to throw.

I seriously doubt this guy can throw over 250 feet.

Yep.

What I don't understand is why people keep trying to explain proper throwing mechanics to him. He's not interested, and never was interested in learning how to throw.

I seriously doubt this guy can throw over 250 feet.

I threw 250 on a huge mistake this morning. I used the wrong disc and It just flipped over in the headwind.

Yes indeed. For me, having started throwing right, getting injured and then starting over and learni g from the left puts me in a whole different category than most people. I've completely removed the all arm aspect out of the equation.

I'm going to continue on the path I'm on. It's not new or novel, it's just the old school way thinking where you give things a chance and put max effort in. I honestly believe most people's "plateau" issues are lack of effort and belief- they give up too easy or the first sign of the perceived unclimable hill. I can guarantee you that the reason Eagle can throw so far is because he went out day after day and just threw the crap out of the disc. I look at most of the form critiques and the first thing that cones to my mind in general is they just need to be patient and pur more effort in- actually try to visualize their mechanics being more explosive and rhen be more explosive. Timing issues get worked out along the way.

It's interesting that walking and running requires a very complex set of mechanics and balance. But we don't teach kids how to walk or run, they do it on their own from trial and error.
You say you are a whole different category than most people, so then why should your opinion matter to most people?

Eagle was probably throwing discs before he learned to walk, and having parents that play as well as some top pros being local certainly helps visual learning, like learning to walk. Kids are little copy cats, they watch and learn their parents and others movements.

If a child is in the school playground and sees another child picking his nose, they will copy thinking its something you're supposed to do. That copy cat routine is enforced by how the child sees the other child, do they like them and admire them? Are they older? Do they have a responsibility in class that puts them of a higher status?

As a parent (or a general adult) you are further up the pecking order, and therefore are seen as the learning tool for your child. They watch as every other human being around them walks on two legs, child looks at itself, it's on four, perhaps to survive and not be shunned by other humans it too must walk on two legs.

But if you were to get down on all fours around the child and it didn't see people walking properly, chances are it would never create the desire to even attempt to get onto 2 legs.

I remember a story about 2 twin girls, both were making almost identical progress with their development but when it came to starting to walk it became very obvious who imprinted on which parent, as the father was in a wheelchair.

The parents became concerned about the lack of walking in the one twin, the other was really getting the hang of it whereas this twin hadn't even attempted getting on 2 feet.

On a couple of occasions the father was out of his chair the non-walking twin would drag herself into it and quite successfully begin to start wheeling herself around.

As she'd imprinted on her father she learned that humans get around in a chair with wheels so that's what she attempted to do. Interesting huh?

You say you are a whole different category than most people, so then why should your opinion matter to most people?

Eagle was probably throwing discs before he learned to walk, and having parents that play as well as some top pros being local certainly helps visual learning, like learning to walk. Kids are little copy cats, they watch and learn their parents and others movements.

If a child is in the school playground and sees another child picking his nose, they will copy thinking its something you're supposed to do. That copy cat routine is enforced by how the child sees the other child, do they like them and admire them? Are they older? Do they have a responsibility in class that puts them of a higher status?

As a parent (or a general adult) you are further up the pecking order, and therefore are seen as the learning tool for your child. They watch as every other human being around them walks on two legs, child looks at itself, it's on four, perhaps to survive and not be shunned by other humans it too must walk on two legs.

But if you were to get down on all fours around the child and it didn't see people walking properly, chances are it would never create the desire to even attempt to get onto 2 legs.

I remember a story about 2 twin girls, both were making almost identical progress with their development but when it came to starting to walk it became very obvious who imprinted on which parent, as the father was in a wheelchair.

The parents became concerned about the lack of walking in the one twin, the other was really getting the hang of it whereas this twin hadn't even attempted getting on 2 feet.

On a couple of occasions the father was out of his chair the non-walking twin would drag herself into it and quite successfully begin to start wheeling herself around.

As she'd imprinted on her father she learned that humans get around in a chair with wheels so that's what she attempted to do. Interesting huh?

Wheelchairs begin rotating at the exact beginning of mobility. I think its possible that this anecdote is going to be wildly misinterpreted in this particular thread.

How many times have I said I have watched countless hours of pros playing.....

Perhaps so much so, that I see things a bit better than others.

I know where I am at and where I need to get to, I see a clear path. I'm not saying I have great mechanics. I do understand how and where the power comes from. If you understand that it makes the road easier to see. Now it's getting the timing and tweaks just right and wait for the quickness to come that builds up more gradually by the muscle groups.