• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

One leg drill, stupid question.

There's times where I will go out every day and throw and my distance seems about the same for several days or a week. But I just keep pushing and then the next week comes along and I will get one out just a bit farther. This cycle repeats but it isn't easy to keep getting gains. Like I have said previously, there's days where I will throw 3-4 hours just working on distance alone and quite a lot of them are max effort shots. I'm 47 years old and have always had hip and knee problems. There's days where my joints hurt so bad but I suck it up and throw anyway. I don't know of any disc golfers around me that practice their distance as much as I do. I have gone from struggling yo hit 175-200 feet off the tee pad to now overshooting 300 foot holes on a less than max effort shot. That's happened in less than 2 months.

I watch a lot of disc golf and watch others mechanics. Im always trying new things, just like everyone else. The reality is that everyone finds the path through trial and error.

Many give up prematurely because they think they cant throw harder and it must be mechanic related. The reality is, from what I have witnessed firsthand, you can't throw farther if you cease putting in hard work and effort.
I'm not in the dark, I watch lots of disc golf and pick up on things. I just see it a bit different than others. I like to think I have found the easier path to throwing without injury.
Is it easier or harder work? Your practice regimen sounds like a recipe for injury.

Isn't it mechanic related when one is already throwing as hard as possible and know that they should be throwing further with less effort?

I thought you said mechanics don't matter?
I have a theory with distance progression in disc golf in which most distance comes with time after the right muscle groups are built and trained to fire rapidly. My son videoed me the first week I started and surprisingly, my mechanics look almost identical now as back then. The difference is that the video looks like it's in slow motion. I have even slowed down my run up/x-step substantially. Where you really notice is how fast the torso is turning. When I first started it was really slow- looked like I was just slowly turning. In fact, almost every single form analysis in the form threads, showing new players, shows that same slow rotation. For those longer threads that take place where they keep posting update videos after months and even years you can see the progression of their hip and torso rotation dramatically increase.
I don't really worry about all these technical points of throwing because I'm of the belief that you just keep trying and your body and mind adjust and work to correct and move more efficiently and more powerfully.

Is it easier or harder work? Your practice regimen sounds like a recipe for injury.

Isn't it mechanic related when one is already throwing as hard as possible and know that they should be throwing further with less effort?

I thought you said mechanics don't matter?

Humm, I throw a lot and my arm feels great.
One must throw max effort in practicing if they want to see distance gains. Max effort equates to building/training muscle groups to fire quicker. When you combine that with getting the timing correct then on less effort throws the discs fly with ease. It's why I can now throw 300 feet with relative ease. That distance used to be a max effort shot.

If you watch the effort a pro uses on a long drive tee shot it's no small effort event. They are putting a lot of effort into the throw. There's times when I watch Mcbeth throw and I swear he's gonna tweak his neck because of the jerk that is created by the effort. There isn't any pro throwing around 450 feet or higher that's not putting forth a lot of physical effort.
A person could have perfect mirror mechanics to McBeth and come way short of what Mcbeth is throwing because the muscle effort just isn't there yet.

So 3 months worth is countless and makes you an expert, eh?

You may have gained some knowledge, but seem to lack understanding.

Im used to it in a sense- know what to watch for. I did the same thing with watching pitching mechanics everyday for hours for a decade.

Im no expert by any means, but I have learned to watch for certain things that matter.

Humm, I throw a lot and my arm feels great.
One must throw max effort in practicing if they want to see distance gains. Max effort equates to building/training muscle groups to fire quicker. When you combine that with getting the timing correct then on less effort throws the discs fly with ease. It's why I can now throw 300 feet with relative ease. That distance used to be a max effort shot.

If you watch the effort a pro uses on a long drive tee shot it's no small effort event. They are putting a lot of effort into the throw. There's times when I watch Mcbeth throw and I swear he's gonna tweak his neck because of the jerk that is created by the effort. There isn't any pro throwing around 450 feet or higher that's not putting forth a lot of physical effort.
A person could have perfect mirror mechanics to McBeth and come way short of what Mcbeth is throwing because the muscle effort just isn't there yet.
Your arm might feel great, but I think your back and/or leg is likely going to break if you continue with your path. I broke my leg and back from bad mechanics and repeatedly throwing hard. You don't have to listen to me, but you probably should.

You aren't going to get McBeth level mechanics by simply throwing max effort. Bradley Williams has McBeth's mechanics and for him, I would agree with you, that he if wants to compete with McBeth on distance he needs to train those muscles. But for the average amateur that is ridiculous because I've not seen anyone on here asking for advice that has close to that level mechanics and many are better athletes.

Im used to it in a sense- know what to watch for. I did the same thing with watching pitching mechanics everyday for hours for a decade.

Im no expert by any means, but I have learned to watch for certain things that matter.
tenor.gif

Your arm might feel great, but I think your back and/or leg is likely going to break if you continue with your path. I broke my leg and back from bad mechanics and repeatedly throwing hard. You don't have to listen to me, but you probably should.

You aren't going to get McBeth level mechanics by simply throwing max effort. Bradley Williams has McBeth's mechanics and for him, I would agree with you, that he if wants to compete with McBeth on distance he needs to train those muscles. But for the average amateur that is ridiculous because I've not seen anyone on here asking for advice that has close to that level mechanics and many are better athletes.
How did you break them?

I just wonder if you have a job. Between countless hours spent watching video, countless hours spent training those muscles and the full time job of tending to this thread, I doubt you have time for a job. Good thing you don't have to spend hours every day studying pitching mechanics any more.

Shifting incorrectly and trying to fire the rear hip into rotation x-factor hip/shoulder separation and head down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw#t=1m54s

I suspect the next thing you will say then is that I am shifting my weight incorrectly and trying to fire the rear hip into rotation.
Bones can break at any given time in any activity. I watched my son's basketball teammate break his foot after getting a rebound on a normal jump.
I dont really believe my mechanics are really any different than anyone else's, especially since I have slowed down my x step. I think the difference is that I understand the importance of how the rear and front hips work to initiate and produce the right amount of torque that powers or fires the torso and upper body.
It seems there are a lot of players who keep trying this lateral shift without realizing the shift also incorporates a slight twisting of the hips. They falsely believe momentum alone creates rotation. It doesn't.

Last edited:
I suspect the next thing you will say then is that I am shifting my weight incorrectly and trying to fire the rear hip into rotation.
Yep.

Bones can break at any given time in any activity. I watched my son's basketball teammate break his foot after getting a rebound on a normal jump.
Stress fractures are different than acute fracture, at any rate, either way landing awkwardly or off balance increases the torque on the bones.

I dont really believe my mechanics are really any different than anyone else's, especially since I have slowed down my x step. I think the difference is that I understand the importance of how the rear and front hips work to initiate and produce the right amount of torque that powers or fires the torso and upper body.
So your mechanics are the same as Paige and Paige, but Paige and Paige are completely different?

It seems there are a lot of players who keep trying this lateral shift without realizing the shift also incorporates a slight twisting of the hips. They falsely believe momentum alone creates rotation. It doesn't.
I have drills for linear knee slammers. If you drive forward off the rear foot properly rotation will happen without having to think about it no matter your belief just like walking or running.

Yep.

Stress fractures are different than acute fracture, at any rate, either way landing awkwardly or off balance increases the torque on the bones.

So your mechanics are the same as Paige and Paige, but Paige and Paige are completely different?

I have drills for linear knee slammers. If you drive forward off the rear foot properly rotation will happen without having to think about it no matter your belief just like walking or running.

I'm starting to get the vibe that if we don't throw like Sidewinder we are throwing wrong...

I'm starting to get the vibe that if we don't throw like Sidewinder we are throwing wrong...

I dont really believe my mechanics are really any different than anyone else's.
You seem to believe it's the same.

You seem to believe it's the same.

You make it sound like if I keep throwing like I currently am that not only will I never throw far, I will break every bone in my back and leg. You think I am so completely different than what you think is correct.

If all that is true, why haven't I yet broken any bones?

Is my distance for being 3 months in really bad?

You make it sound like if I keep throwing like I currently am that not only will I never throw far, I will break every bone in my back and leg. You think I am so completely different than what you think is correct.

Listen man, I've got no animosity for you, but until you're throwing 450ft, there's no reason for any of us to believe that your technique will get you there. You may have only been throwing for 3 months, but it's not like this is cross-country running or power lifting where you need extensive physical conditioning in addition to good technique. I just looked up Paige Pierce's stats: she's 5'5" and 125lbs. As a 6'3" 200lb generally athletic male, I know that I'm more physically advantaged than her in almost every way, and yet she probably out-throws me by well over 100ft. Point being, if she's doing way more with way less strength, then the answer isn't more strength or conditioning or whatever you want to call it. The answer is in doing the correct motions.

I'm glad that you've caught the bug and you're enjoying diving into disc golf, and you don't have to throw "correctly" in order to enjoy yourself and to have every right to be out there enjoying yourself. But if you're going to come on these forums that are expressly dedicated to pursuing perfect technique and claim to have knowledge, then the proof is in the pudding. 370ft of distance, or "300ft with very little effort", is very average and can be achieved with several different incorrect techniques. I've tried several of those incorrect techniques, and have been trying to break out to the next level for years (with stretches of months of a time of "max effort throwing" for hours a week). Until you can post a video of yourself throwing 450ft on a calm day on flat ground, or coach people to do it, no one should take your advice seriously. It's nothing personal, that's just fact.

An increased likelihood of something happening does not guarantee that the thing is going to happen. Also, just because it hasn't happened yet in your small sample size of time doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

Listen man, I've got no animosity for you, but until you're throwing 450ft, there's no reason for any of us to believe that your technique will get you there. You may have only been throwing for 3 months, but it's not like this is cross-country running or power lifting where you need extensive physical conditioning in addition to good technique. I just looked up Paige Pierce's stats: she's 5'5" and 125lbs. As a 6'3" 200lb generally athletic male, I know that I'm more physically advantaged than her in almost every way, and yet she probably out-throws me by well over 100ft. Point being, if she's doing way more with way less strength, then the answer isn't more strength or conditioning or whatever you want to call it. The answer is in doing the correct motions.

I'm glad that you've caught the bug and you're enjoying diving into disc golf, and you don't have to throw "correctly" in order to enjoy yourself and to have every right to be out there enjoying yourself. But if you're going to come on these forums that are expressly dedicated to pursuing perfect technique and claim to have knowledge, then the proof is in the pudding. 370ft of distance, or "300ft with very little effort", is very average and can be achieved with several different incorrect techniques. I've tried several of those incorrect techniques, and have been trying to break out to the next level for years (with stretches of months of a time of "max effort throwing" for hours a week). Until you can post a video of yourself throwing 450ft on a calm day on flat ground, or coach people to do it, no one should take your advice seriously. It's nothing personal, that's just fact.

Nothing against your athleticism but PP probably, most undoubtedly, has a greater set of the correct muscle groups that fire quicker than yours. One thing I have noticed since I started playing is I am getting muscles in places I never had so much before. Most of them are in my legs, glutimus, and back. Having the correct muscles doesnt necessarily mean you will be big and bulky. Look no further than some of the top Tour de France cyclists over the years and some of their legs are not very big at all. But no doubt about it, for the task at hand, they will outdo me strength and stamina wise all day long.

Have you actually ever watched the backside of PP in slow motion? She has a lot of muscle packed in to that small frame, especially in her upper legs and core.

There's no doubt I will hit 450 feet at some point within the next year or two. My goal is to hit 400 feet before snow flies this year. I think I will get there, I'm only 25 feet from that with my max distance now.

An increased likelihood of something happening does not guarantee that the thing is going to happen. Also, just because it hasn't happened yet in your small sample size of time doesn't mean it isn't going to happen.

True, but if one is throwing pain free and it feels smooth then why would he change?

Latest posts