• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overstable Fairway

Firebirds are good, but for my money, I say why not get an FL? Personally, even though the differences seem slight, I like my star FL a LOT!
Some old school discs deserve the love and the Whippet and Viper are def on that list. For years I carried around a Whippet and called it my "OH Sh*t Disc!" for those times when I was stuck in bushes or behind weird trees or I needed to throw it upside down or while hanging from the edge of a cliff or something.....

the firebird is legit! throw it FH or BH and it works great. flat hyzer, spike hyzer, skip shot, overhead, short anny release S flex....why would you not own one?! it is also very capable of getting me out of trouble. it will always be in the bag next to my teebird.

Where would you place the Discraft Elite Z X2? I have heard it's close to the whippet but mine definitely does not have the feel of a whippet, perhaps flight wise it's similar. Also a very good overstable disc. Whippet or Banshee is what I hear about a lot, the X2 I believe is OOP so don't try to get that one.
:confused:

I never threw the Z X2. The Elite Pro X2 was a TeeBirdish driver with a bit more fade. Still it was a "straight with some fade" kind of disc, not as overstable as the discs we are talking about here. I'm sure the Z was more overstable than the Elite Pro, but I doubt it would have made it Whippet-overstable.

The OOP Discraft driver that would fit into this conversation was the Xtra. The Elite Pro Xtra would have been between a Banshee and a Whippet stability-wise.

I have a viper but thats on the shorter end. Firebird, predator, flick, etc.?

I'd take a Predator over a Firebird. Both speed 9, but I got more D with the Predator. GGGT/Joe's chart shows this as well. Never threw a Flick, but that is probably too fast for me.

I'd take a Predator over a Firebird. Both speed 9, but I got more D with the Predator. GGGT/Joe's chart shows this as well. Never threw a Flick, but that is probably too fast for me.

Same here. The Predator fades hard at the end of its flight where the Firebird wants to fade right out of the hand.

Other overstable drivers I have used in the past include dx Vipers, EXP1's, and champ Banshees. All have handled my overhands, spikes, and headwind duties. Surprisingly I never had an issue with the duribility on those dx Vipers.

:confused:

I never threw the Z X2. The Elite Pro X2 was a TeeBirdish driver with a bit more fade. Still it was a "straight with some fade" kind of disc, not as overstable as the discs we are talking about here. I'm sure the Z was more overstable than the Elite Pro, but I doubt it would have made it Whippet-overstable.

The OOP Discraft driver that would fit into this conversation was the Xtra. The Elite Pro Xtra would have been between a Banshee and a Whippet stability-wise.

I see, I've been using it as a longer slightly more overstable wasp but yet if I want really overstable I use the flick of course. I was thinking someone said it compared to the whippet, however that might have been the X-Clone. Another OOP discraft product. Maybe I'm just scatter-brained.

The Blaze doesn't get as much love as it should. I've had one sitting around for years and started throwing it a few months ago and it's been great to me.

Well I picked up a Champ Banshee 175g tonight. It had that nice pearly finish and is pretty grippy for champ.

Cool beans, let me know when you decide to give it its debut, I'll come watch and chuckle at your regret of wishing you bought a Firebird instead. ;)

I think the Banshee is a wise choice. It should feel like an overstable Teebird in your hand. While the Firebird does get alot of love and respect, I never could get any more distance out of it than a Banshee or Viper. The Banshee seemed very controllable and accurate when I used it. I admit, though, that I have become a fan of the thinnest/slowest rim that still does the job.

I used to be a Banshee fan until I got a 150 Firebird. That thing since it is light, can go far and since it is overstable, it resists turning over. Gives me a boner thinking about it. I guess that makes it bonerific.

I'll always consider the Firebird a distance driver...
Anyways, I'd vote for the Banshee for a moderately overstable disc. Whippet-X for something more overstable.

EDIT: Oh yeah, nothing is more overstable than the Flick. I'm not sure if it is distance or fairway, but the mofo hooks like none other.

Last edited: