• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce is in a class all by herself

I just watched CCDG's footage from the Ladies Final 9 at Worlds and I will say that Paige SHOULD have caught Catrina for the title. Paige just putted like hell in the fianls. She left about 4 strokes out there in that 9 holes alone.

I just watched CCDG's footage from the Ladies Final 9 at Worlds and I will say that Paige SHOULD have caught Catrina for the title. Paige just putted like hell in the fianls. She left about 4 strokes out there in that 9 holes alone.

Yup, I thought so too. She missed so many shots that are not usual for her that round. Every video I have watched of Catrina in the 2014 worlds, she just played lay-up golf. It's like she was counting on the other women to get bogeys, and she was just fine getting pars, especially on the par 4s and 5s Cat won it, but it really did seem just as much Paige losing it as well.

Dont forget, Catrina also showed up late to a hole that week and took par+4. Woulda Coulda Shouldas aside, Cat definitely won even with the most artificial score bump of the field.

Dont forget, Catrina also showed up late to a hole that week and took par+4. Woulda Coulda Shouldas aside, Cat definitely won even with the most artificial score bump of the field.

I thought she missed 3 or 4 holes.

lets wait til Paige plays a tourney with some more woods before we get so carried away

She is in a league to herself in Open courses I agree

Where Paige grew up and honed her craft in Texas, there's plenty of wooded courses -- Town Lake in McKinney, her home course, is a serious challenge. The woods won't bother her.

She missed exactly 1 hole. In fact, she showed up in the middle of the first hole and played it after she missed here tee time. She wrote down 3/7 on the card hoping for some love... but was denied.

So if she'd been on time to her card, she would've won by six throws instead of two. That's hardly outclassed.

Paige has admitted that longer eastern us style long woods holes are her greatet weakness. She has done much to improve upon this.

I suspect others have a better chance against her in the woods than the open.

Ragna really struggles in the woods but there are some other girls with versatile games and line hitting ability who fare better in the woods than the open

Its a skill to play in the woods that I wish NTs would do a better job of testing

I just finished watching the 2nd round of the ladies GBO. It is basically the same scenario hole after hole. Throwing far seems to have been the skill most tested on that course. I would have loved to have seen that same card playing a real tight course too.

Its a skill to play in the woods that I wish NTs would do a better job of testing

At least two NTs on this year's schedule should test woods skills (Maple Hill and the HOF Classic at IDGC). And Paige won at both places last year.

Long eastern wooded courses might be her admitted weakness, but she can still excel on them.

I don't believe Paige has a great forehand. Having that shot is one key advantage the two World Champ Sarah's used to be effective in the woods.

I don't believe Paige has a great forehand. Having that shot is one key advantage the two World Champ Sarah's used to be effective in the woods.

Because it allows her to keep her eye on the line she want to throw?

Just like ball golf. Some are longer courses, some are more technical, some are both. Gotta keep developing all types. Once the Big Hill courses are finished they will have everything and be destination courses.

I just finished watching the 2nd round of the ladies GBO. It is basically the same scenario hole after hole. Throwing far seems to have been the skill most tested on that course. I would have loved to have seen that same card playing a real tight course too.

Hole 1: Bjerkaas misses 2 putts, C. Allen misses putt
Hole 2: Bjerkaas turns her drive over, C. Allen misses putt
Hole 3: Bjerkaas fades out, J. Allen pulls approach, Pierce hits tree on upshot
Hole 4: Bjerkaas turns drive over (OB) & misses putt, C. Allen pulls approach
Hole 5: J. Allen drive fades OB & shorts upshot
Hole 6: J. Allen drives OB & upshots OB & misses putt, Bjerkaas misses putt (OB) & misses putt
Hole 7: Bjerkaas drives short (must lay up) & misses putt, J. Allen misses putt
Hole 8: J. Allen parks
Hole 9: C. Allen parks upshot
Hole 10: Bjerkaas misses putt, J. Allen parks
Hole 13: Pierce parks upshot, J. Allen makes big putt
Hole 15: J. Allen drives into tree & doesn't get out on upshot
Hole 16: J. Allen makes big putt
Hole 17: Bjerkaas misses putt, J. Allen misses putt
Hole 18: J. Allen has good upshot

Paige avoided OB, and didn't miss putts. There were a few holes that created NAGS, but for Paige, not the other girls (Paige has long death-putt jumpers, they're throwing real upshots). Her putting and accuracy is what created the scoring separation. IMHO

Hole 1: Bjerkaas misses 2 putts, C. Allen misses putt
Hole 2: Bjerkaas turns her drive over, C. Allen misses putt
Hole 3: Bjerkaas fades out, J. Allen pulls approach, Pierce hits tree on upshot
Hole 4: Bjerkaas turns drive over (OB) & misses putt, C. Allen pulls approach
Hole 5: J. Allen drive fades OB & shorts upshot
Hole 6: J. Allen drives OB & upshots OB & misses putt, Bjerkaas misses putt (OB) & misses putt
Hole 7: Bjerkaas drives short (must lay up) & misses putt, J. Allen misses putt
Hole 8: J. Allen parks
Hole 9: C. Allen parks upshot
Hole 10: Bjerkaas misses putt, J. Allen parks
Hole 13: Pierce parks upshot, J. Allen makes big putt
Hole 15: J. Allen drives into tree & doesn't get out on upshot
Hole 16: J. Allen makes big putt
Hole 17: Bjerkaas misses putt, J. Allen misses putt
Hole 18: J. Allen has good upshot

Paige avoided OB, and didn't miss putts. There were a few holes that created NAGS, but for Paige, not the other girls (Paige has long death-putt jumpers, they're throwing real upshots). Her putting and accuracy is what created the scoring separation. IMHO

Def not disrespecting Paige. I just thought it would be cool to see the same group play a different type of course to see what would happen. I have not followed the ladies very much...

sarah def is a great woods player

Maple Hill is not really that wooded of a course

Its pretty open actually

I've been there, I know what it's like. It's not entirely wooded and by local (as in courses around it) standards it's not all that tight at all.

But relative to the open courses we've seen thus far on the NT (Memorial and GBO), it's downright pinball alley. 3-7, 9, 12, 15-16...all require precision shots hitting the right lane rather than pure power.

Maple Hill is probably one of the more balanced courses on the NT as far as types of challenge. There are the wooded holes I mentioned, but plenty of holes that favor the power crushes (1, 8, 11, 14, 17). And some that blend open air with the need to be precise to score (2, 10, 13, 18). A good test of the whole bag. Which is probably why no one particular player or type of player has dominated that tournament, male or female.

Maple Hill is probably one of the more balanced courses on the NT as far as types of challenge.

I agree. That and the Hall of Fame Classic are the two best tests of golf skill on the NT this year in my opinion.