• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce is in a class all by herself

Hall of Fame may be a bit too biased toward a wooded game. Put Old Glory black tees in the mix or possibly Lake Olmstead to get better balance.

Hall of Fame may be a bit too biased toward a wooded game. Put Old Glory black tees in the mix or possibly Lake Olmstead to get better balance.

Yup, that's the solution. Add a course 30-45 minutes away from the center of the tournament. That won't gum up the works or stretch the tournament staff at all. :rolleyes:

How far apart do you think Fountain and Vista are from each other? Or Trojan and Milo at Worlds last year? Remember that the IDGC is already 20-25 minutes from the motels and closer to Olmstead and Hippo. Despite the mostly wooded experience at IDGC, it should probably continue that way because of the Hall of Fame and balancing out the open course events.

Last edited:
How far apart do you think Fountain and Vista are from each other? Or Trojan and Milo at Worlds last year? Remember that the IDGC is already 20-25 minutes from the motels and closer to Olmstead and Hippo. Despite the mostly wooded experience at IDGC, it should probably continue that way because of the Hall of Fame and balancing out the open course events.

Fountain and Vista are about 30 min apart depending on traffic. I seem to recall Trojan being a couple hours from Milo.

Call me biased, call me an elitist, call me whatever, but disc golf is at its BEST in the woods. Jackson has enough room for some power golf and Pros always play that course twice. The "Mad Professor" Steady Ed layout has some power golf on it too.

Last time I checked (January) Old Glory Black's doesn't exist anymore. The last layout I played was bunk, putting an NT round there would be worse then the Memorial. And Olmstead doesn't have nearly enough room on it for an NT round. The holes are way to close together for that to work.

FYI the Hippodrome and the IDGC are at least 45 mins apart.

Despite the mostly wooded experience at IDGC, it should probably continue that way because of the Hall of Fame and balancing out the open course events.

And the fact that 3 IDGC courses are just straight up way better then everything else in the area. You could talk me into an Augusta Worlds featuring a lot of the other courses but not the NT event. I mean the name of the tournament is the Hall Of Fame Classic its gotta be at the IDGC

Are you the course designer? I loved that course. I still think about it a couple of years later.
Yes, in tandem with Tom Monroe. We have eight official named layouts on Steady Ed so players can compare scores over the years against the same pin combos. I got the nickname "Mad Professor" on the plaque for my Hall of Fame induction. Tom is a known forehand savant so his Steady Ed layout is named "Sidewinder". The other names are: IDGC Super for Jason Allind, The Steady Ed is the shortest layout, Fifty-Fifty for half A and B pins, Steady to the Max with all long pins, Edge of Wetness has pins with the most water in play and Rockin' Out has the most rock formations in play or in view.

^ The players she beat (destroyed) aren't exactly slouches.

That's for sure.

I guess the hope you might have that someone would challenge her at Master's Cup is that:

a) Dela is a more difficult course and things can go wrong there even if you throw well. Daisy Chain positions at Pinto Lake are very suited to Paige (and myself in that I can reach more of them, love to play Pinto around Daisy Chains ;) ). Especially up in the meadow where it is all about throwing long and straight.

b) I think Cat will be there. She won Daisy chains and Master's Cup last year.

c) Page was fourth at Master's Cup last year.

d) There is more pressure at an NT event.

But she looks poised to whip the field at the moment. :thmbup:

Unless there's some young girl out there who will challenge Paige, or unless she gets married / has kids, she could threaten Climo's record of 12 wins.

If you mean 12 wins in any division, sure... But, if you are comparing anything other than W's, it's apples to oranges. Hell, I'm the 33-time champion of the Tampora-Only DG World Championships.... Eat my dust, Climo!

Do you think Paige (or any leading DG woman) will ever feel confident enough to leave the shelter of their protected divisions?

It is titled the 'Open' division after all, not the 'Mens' division.

Here's an excerpt from the PDGA site:

Open - the top professional division, available to players of any age or sex.

A world class Open player has many years of tournament experience, drives at least 350 feet, makes 7-9/10 putts from 25-30 feet, rarely makes a mistake, and has a shot for every situation. Ratings Guideline: 1000+ Score range: <51

An average Open player has several years experience, throws 325-400 feet accurately, makes 6-8/10 putts from 25-30 feet, and has a variety of shots (rollers, forehands, etc) to draw from. Ratings Guideline: 970+ Score range: <56

I'd say Paige qualifies for switching divisions, wouldn't you? Compare that info to the following info for the protected division for females:

Open Women - the top womens division, available to female players of any age.

A top Open Women's player will have played at least 5 years, throws 300-375 feet accurately, make 6-8/10 putts from 25-30 feet, throws backhand and forehand. Ratings Guideline: 925+ Score range: <58

An average Open Women's player will have played several years, throws 250-325 feet, make 5-6/10 putts from 25-30 feet.

Juliana is the only woman ever to cash at the USDGC and that was before the Performance Flight nonsense crept in. IIRC, she beat this kid named Doss :p. Paige and Cat both can compete with the guys if they want to. Cat can score better than Paige but she's quite a bit less consistent.

she could threaten Climo's record of 12 wins.
Umm, no she wouldn't. That record involves a separate title and Paige has zero of those. Climo's two Masters World Championships are not counted as his 13th and 14th for the same reason.

I'm talking about 12 FPO wins. It is the equivalent division for women, and would be just as great an accomplishment.

Do you think Paige (or any leading DG woman) will ever feel confident enough to leave the shelter of their protected divisions?

It is titled the 'Open' division after all, not the 'Mens' division.

I'd say Paige qualifies for switching divisions, wouldn't you? Compare that info to the following info for the protected division for females:

Paige DESTROYED a whole lot of good players in the Performance Flight at the USDGC last year. She was trying to qualify to play Open, I'm assuming she'll give it another go this year.