• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paige Pierce is in a class all by herself

Gonna go back to the gender issue, because I think it's an important one. Why wouldn't successful female throwers be used to encourage other females to keep practicing? Why instead suggest they can never hope to be that good and be content to throw short drives and make short putts? The insinuation is insulting.

I never thought of it like that, but that's a pretty good point.

Gonna go back to the gender issue, because I think it's an important one. Why wouldn't successful female throwers be used to encourage other females to keep practicing? Why instead suggest they can never hope to be that good and be content to throw short drives and make short putts? The insinuation is insulting.

1) I'm still trying to figure out where I said that the holes should be easier or shorter, cuz I didn't, at all. I even suggested that certain holes would play better if they were made longer.

Not holes are created equal. A hole, or course, that plays well for MPO is playing for players that are rated (by an objective PDGA rating that makes no adjustments for age or gender) about 75-150 points higher then the top of the FPO field. They are that much BETTER then the FPO field. So it shouldn't be surprising that holes play well for players who average 5-15 strokes lower per round don't make as good of holes for FPO. All I'm advocating for is for NT's in the FPO field to play courses that score better and are more fun to watch for their skill level.

It just really bothers me that the gender card is getting played on me, because what I'm saying has absolutely nothing to do with gender. I would make the same argument about any other division with players rated 920-975. Its more important for FPO then similar rated divisions because I think FPO should get as much exposure as possible. They are highly skilled players (I'm 100% positive many of them could beat my ass at disc golf pretty easily) that are great for the sport.

1) I'm still trying to figure out where I said that the holes should be easier or shorter, cuz I didn't, at all. I even suggested that certain holes would play better if they were made longer.

Not holes are created equal. A hole, or course, that plays well for MPO is playing for players that are rated (by an objective PDGA rating that makes no adjustments for age or gender) about 75-150 points higher then the top of the FPO field. They are that much BETTER then the FPO field. So it shouldn't be surprising that holes play well for players who average 5-15 strokes lower per round don't make as good of holes for FPO. All I'm advocating for is for NT's in the FPO field to play courses that score better and are more fun to watch for their skill level.

It just really bothers me that the gender card is getting played on me, because what I'm saying has absolutely nothing to do with gender. I would make the same argument about any other division with players rated 920-975. Its more important for FPO then similar rated divisions because I think FPO should get as much exposure as possible. They are highly skilled players (I'm 100% positive many of them could beat my ass at disc golf pretty easily) that are great for the sport.

I hear you PB and what you stated at the start was not a gender-based argument. You're essentially arguing for Blue level courses for FPO. Incidentally, Blue level courses are also most appropriate for MA1, yet in most Pro/Am events, the tendency is to put the MA1 division on the same course (layout) as the MPO division, just as is done for FPO.

Chances are, even putting the FPO division on a more appropriate level of course is going to yield the same results with the same women at the top of the standings. But maybe it will shrink the spread of scores so more ladies stay within striking distance of a win for longer.

I hear you PB and what you stated at the start was not a gender-based argument. You're essentially arguing for Blue level courses for FPO. Incidentally, Blue level courses are also most appropriate for MA1, yet in most Pro/Am events, the tendency is to put the MA1 division on the same course (layout) as the MPO division, just as is done for FPO.

Chances are, even putting the FPO division on a more appropriate level of course is going to yield the same results with the same women at the top of the standings. But maybe it will shrink the spread of scores so more ladies stay within striking distance of a win for longer.

Jesus. Thank you. I thought I was going crazy. I can give this a rest now that I know at least SOMEONE understands my point.

I was curious why Feldberg didn't get to mark on the island after going OB because it looked like his disc hit the island and bounced back into the water. It sounded like after the tee shot, if you went OB on any other shot you got to take it where it last was inbounds. But maybe you had to be on the island before that was the case?

Each group was given very specific instructions on how to play certain holes by the TD before they started their round. It was specifically stated at the beginning of the round by the TD that on 18 any shot off the tee that went in the water proceeded to the drop zone. If you chose to lay up and then went into the water you played from where it went out. In order to proceed to the island you had to come to rest on the island. So because Feldberg never came to rest on the island he couldn't proceed to the island. He had to play from where it went out.

Its easy to overstate someone's dominance in a game like golf where people have lots of peaks and valleys in their play.

Paige is a great player. She is not in a class by herself. To say otherwise is a little unfair to her peers considering the reigning female world champion is still playing every weekend.

You should have quoted what you're talking about. AFAIK that wasn't anyone's point.

One thing seems clear to me: You can't throw a Wahoo and compete at the highest levels of our sport.

Who is the current reigning women's world champ?

Catrina

Paige in only 5 rating points higher, currently.

Disc golf has a short memory. She isn't in a class by herself, though she has been playing quite well as of late.

Last edited:
As does college, high school, international, and every other level of play outside of the NBA. It isn't necessarily a gender thing.

Other differences include

the size of the ball
the shot clock (wnba-30 nba-24)
team fouls/bonus
lane size
playing time
number of timeouts

Who is the current reigning women's world champ?

Catrina

Paige in only 5 rating points higher, currently.

Disc golf has a short memory. She isn't in a class by herself, though she has been playing quite well as of late.

Catrina is quite the golfer as well, but Paige's game, and form, seem built to last. (Paige, IIRC, doesn't have as many fluctuations in her performance)

Few of us know Catrina as well as you. Is her driving form more taxing on the body, or is the same as a more textbook motion like Paige's? (I feel like I've asked this before but forgot the answer)

Catrina is quite the golfer as well, but Paige's game, and form, seem built to last. (Paige, IIRC, doesn't have as many fluctuations in her performance)

Few of us know Catrina as well as you. Is her driving form more taxing on the body, or is the same as a more textbook motion like Paige's? (I feel like I've asked this before but forgot the answer)

I don't see any issues in her technique. Personally, the only technique that I think leads to injury, or other issues is side-arm. She rarely throws a sidearm, though. I think part of the reason for the fluctuations is due to her relative inexperience. People seem to forget that she hasn't been playing for very long.

One determining factor for top women competitive longevity appears to be whether they have children. No woman has won the Open Woman World title once they have had a child.

Last edited:
One determining factor for top women competitive longevity appears to be whether they have children. No woman has won the Open Woman World title once they have had a child.

I'm curious how many times a father has won the men's open division at Worlds...

I'm curious how many times a father has won the men's open division at Worlds...
Guessing The Champ had his kid(s) after his reign at the top? I feel like its only recently that he started a family.

McBeth might be able to swing it with the tremendous amount of support and prize money he's raking in.

Latest posts