• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Par Talk

Which of these best describes Hole 18 at the Utah Open?

• A par 5 where 37% of throws are hero throws, and 21% are double heroes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
West Lake Longs at The Rumble 2019 presented by Discraft and Clint's Draft House.

This is from round 3, because round 1 winds were apparently not ordinary. If round 1 was included, the only change would be that #23 would have a computed par of 4.

It's nice to see some real par 5s; unexpected at these lengths.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WLLongs.png
    WLLongs.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 187
2019 Dynamic Discs Glass Blown Open - National Tour, Emporia Country Club, FPO

Perfect.

attachment.php

Attachments

• GBO19FPO.png
    GBO19FPO.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 160
2019 Dynamic Discs Glass Blown Open - National Tour, Emporia Country Club, MPO

Nice job. Histograms for the couple of quibbles I would have.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Par round ratings were 1005, 1035, and 1011, indicating that the average number of unrecoverable errors made by 1000-rated players was about 1 in the first round, 6 in the second round, and 2 in that last round. Because wind, I imagine.

Attachments

• GBO2019MPOPar.png
    GBO2019MPOPar.png
    13 KB · Views: 152
  • GBO19Hists.png
    GBO19Hists.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 155
The distribution on 16 is pretty interesting. It seems like a good candidate hole to test to see if what par is set as changes how players attack the hole. My line of thought is that the major reason the Pros were so aggressive is that they see it labeled as a par 3 and think that the only way to gain strokes is to attempt the birdie.

I could see changing the hole to a par 4 convinces more competitors to layup and pitch onto the island for a relatively safer birdie 3. This could impact the distribution of scores enough that Steve's method would suggest this should be a par 3.

I wish we could isolate this hole and have the pros play it with both pars.

The distribution on 16 is pretty interesting. It seems like a good candidate hole to test to see if what par is set as changes how players attack the hole. My line of thought is that the major reason the Pros were so aggressive is that they see it labeled as a par 3 and think that the only way to gain strokes is to attempt the birdie.

I could see changing the hole to a par 4 convinces more competitors to layup and pitch onto the island for a relatively safer birdie 3. This could impact the distribution of scores enough that Steve's method would suggest this should be a par 3.

I wish we could isolate this hole and have the pros play it with both pars.

Very interesting experiment. The results would be interesting even to folks who don't play.

I'd like to do that experiment on these par 2s.

Otherwise, nice job of setting pars for the Utah Open.

attachment.php

Attachments

• UO2019.png
    UO2019.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 107
The Challenge at Goat Hill Park - Driven by Innova - 2019.

Anyone want to guess what the TD's rating is?

attachment.php

Attachments

• GoatHill.png
    GoatHill.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 107
Is the bottom chart actually FPO?

No. MPO scores. I solved for the rating at which course par would equal calculated par. This answers the question: Who was par appropriate for? That happened to be an 886-rating.

No. MPO scores. I solved for the rating at which course par would equal calculated par. This answers the question: Who was par appropriate for? That happened to be an 886-rating.
Ah, got it. It wasn't clear that was what you were doing since you usually post FPO with MPO, albeit with pink bars.

DGPT - AbsoluteXtracts presents the San Francisco Open driven by Innova at Gleneagles DGC

Here are the computed pars for MPO, FPO and TD.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SFO2019Pars.png
    SFO2019Pars.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 141
I got to wondering whether I would set the par for the 550 foot hole #13 to 4.

Well, it's close. I'd call it a par 4 for a 970 rated player. (3 at 1000)

And #8a is a par 3 for a 970 rated player. (2 at 1000)

So, everything is consistent with setting par for the low end of the recommended ratings for Open.

I would prefer standardizing everything at 1000, but it's TD judgement as the where to set the cutoff for expert.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 550Par4.png
    550Par4.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 125
2019 Minnesota Amateur Disc Golf Championships

attachment.php

Attachments

• MNAms2019b.png
    MNAms2019b.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 111
Prodigy Disc Pro Tour 2019 - Helsinki/Tali Disc Golf Park/2180m