• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Photon (11-12 Speed) Distance Driver

Picked up a 154g N Photon last week to replace the F I lost in May. Even at this weight it is definitely still a photon. The first couple times I threw it I was mildly shocked by how OS it is. Or maybe it was more that my F, even when new, was less OS than this one is. Starting to figure it out though...

Found a well used N Photon in the used bin today. Thought it had some garish sharpie scribble on it at first then realized it was actually stamped. Anybody know the significance of this stamp?

JDPOYNQ.jpg

Thing is flat as a crepe and still got some good stability to it.

Edit: Whoa, sorry for the huge pic.

Maybe post this in the "What disc is this" thread, so more eyes can see it.

Parked my fission 60ft up in a tree today...

Bummage. Assuming it's still up there?

Yea, one of the guys actually hit it with a water bottle. It did a flip and wedged into a fork...:(

:DMy lost child has returned home. Apparently it was in the lost and found box at Mt Airy for a couple months because the name and number were faded off. One of my weekend group guys was digging thru it and recognized it.:hfive: Parked a hole at Mt Airy I haven't parked since I lost it:thmbup:

My lost child has returned home
:hfive: always nice to have your (supposedly) lost disc back. Wonder how it found its way off the tree...

I've played for five years know and haven't lost a single disc (knocks on wood). Granted, I've had two disc back after a years "absence". One was returned and the latter I managed to find from a muddy trench (found at least a dozen other discs before it). Now my shot selection is being influenced by the need to keep the no-lost-disc streak going:doh:

We've had some pretty strong wind storms this spring and summer. My guess is it came down rather soon after it got stuck and someone started throwing it before losing it themselves. Then someone with a conscience found it and turned it in...

...Thx guy with a conscience:hfive:

How the hell do you not lose a disc in 5 years?!

I think ive lost 3 bags of MVP discs alone. Cant even remember all the othet ones from back in the day when it was a normal thing to lose a disc.

How the hell do you not lose a disc in 5 years

I know, it's pretty crazy:D I guess I'm running out of luck pretty soon though.

It helps that I've come across a couple of dudes with conscience too. And that I don't play tourneys and have the time (and nearly mad patience) to look for my discs should I take a risky shot that goes bad. Maybe the terrain is also easier back here? No thick bushes or undergrowth usually. But then, again, there's also snow for many months.

Dang I love my Fission Photon. It got me 3 best drives today, on respective holes. I'm not sure if there's a better combo of light, straight stable, and dependable fade.

I have a 155 Fission Photon that has beat in to an absolute bomber but I have lost confidence in it to stand up to headwinds and/or my less than perfect form.

I have heard great things about this mold in Proton and am wondering if a light weight (another 155) in this plastic would boost up the HSS that I've lost in my Fission while keeping the distance.

Anyone throwing light Pro-Phos care to chime in?

My friend bags a 155 N Photon. He loves it for headwinds where his other 150 class drivers can't hold up.

I have a 155 Fission Photon that has beat in to an absolute bomber but I have lost confidence in it to stand up to headwinds and/or my less than perfect form.

I have heard great things about this mold in Proton and am wondering if a light weight (another 155) in this plastic would boost up the HSS that I've lost in my Fission while keeping the distance.

Anyone throwing light Pro-Phos care to chime in?

I throw a 167 proton and it isn't as beefy as I thought, granted it's only 167. I expected it to fly a bit shorter than my N and F but it's right there with a t dumpy hard fade and no turn. Definitely has a bit of wiggle in its HSS but not as much as my N and definitely not as much as my F. The LSS is where the proton differs the most. Just long sweeping fade, stronger than the other plastics but not dumpy. Really fills that slightly OS workhorse role.

Majority of all my photons were flat in the order I received from MVP. The 134g I have in my bag along side the 2 heavy ones has much more dome (even a little "heartbeat") and less HSS. Its hard to comment on the glide as its a SUPER light disc and already glides like hell. I think I like the flight of the flatter/heavy ones better but this light one is a blast to throw at lower power or on high turning distance shots. Id be really interested to throw a heavy one with the similar dome--like with the plasma tesla the added glide and touch less HSS was apparent.

Funny how the domey discs like a vector, tangent, axis etc have greater HSS while on a driver it can be opposite. Discs are weiiiiiird.

Today the winds were BLOWING and the neutrons performed very, very well. Exactly what you would expect from the heavier weights with a little more stability in general but still the same disc. I can RIP the 164g fission on the same lines and it was very similar the the 166g neutron. The max weights really do remind me of a nice OS destroyer which will flip into flat from slight hyzer and ride out straight for a long time with a nice fade at the end or turn just a bit from flat and come back hard to finish.

I like the feel of the regular neutron plastic vs fission and can see this being the first MVP distance driver to get the proton treatment. I was not sold on the fission versions at first but after a day in Duluth with mine and today im seeing where this mold is a great addition to the MVP bag. The very light 135-45g pair up really well with the 165+ for unique lines and the neutron plastic max weights are going to be go-to distance drivers which hold up to, whatevaaaaa.

Photon is in the bag 4 shizzle.

Ive thrown my 166g at least 20 times into the garage floor and done some rubbing of both sides/wing edge.

Its looking like a tesla/volt whatever where the fade is just delaying and still nothing for high speed turn. Imagine a disc almost 10g heavier isnt going to season easier lol.

The softer plastic blend has stupid shape retention... You could at least warp the wing edge b4 with a realllly hard FH straight into the ground but no mas.

I haven't abused mine like Aim does, but I'm seeing kind of the same thing so far: a bit of an extension in the glide phase, but so far no real mellowing of the fade once it kicks in.

But I haven't thrown it much. I did get a little chunk gouged out of the OM from a tree/root hit.

I have probably 20+ stack of both, probably a good idea. Ill see if I can get something on video today.

I wouldn't say there is a big difference when new but my seasoned N has turn and no fade really at 166g and my 173g lightly seasoned N will flip to flat from a very slight hyzer and then ride out the line to the ground.

Protons seem to hold the release for a LONG time before starting to fade. I have went looking for these protons on a few holes now and had to walk up 30-50' further then expected. Its weird being the only difference you can see is laying them top down and tiny shoulder/dome raise on the Ps where neutrons sit FLAT.

Would anyone have any insight as to how well neutron photons season?

Some old posts above. They will take. While to season. Id go a little lighter wt if possible vs max. I have a beat N that is like a stable wave. Little turn not much fade. The flatter Ns will start to turn more vs slightly raised shoulder protons.

Latest posts