• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburg/Erie/Ohio/WV here I come

As long as my car is out of the garage, I could join ya for Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob, Linbrook, or Schenley. After 3:30 on Thursday and Friday. I enjoy playing with people, so even if you have a guide, I wouldn't mind tagging along with Chris or Tim.

I actually haven't been over to Linbrook yet, but definitely need to. The cool thing with at least Knob, is that the pins should be in tournament positions for the PFDO coming up in a few weeks. I am not sure if DL or Moraine have been moved yet.

I work til 3:30'on Thurs and Friday. Post on here what courses you are playing at what time and I'll try and make it out.

I'm guestimating to be at Deer Lakes around 4pm Thurs.

FYI...called the Grand Vue Park and they said the Black Course is all go!

Lake Shore in Ashtabula isnt anything special. They do have elevation shot's and as a whole the park has a great view, but alot of the holes you can drive the basket from reds and whites. If you play from the Blues, alot of the shot's from the teepads blow....3 foot window from the ground, trees in front of teepads etc..... Not sure the courses you played but this course in my opionion isnt worth the drive and I only live a hour away!

I've been playing for 18+ years and have played well over 200 courses. Ashtabula from the longs is one of the BEST par 3 courses out there. Some of the fastest greens in disc golf. Great views, and an immaculately manicured course with absolutely no rough.

Red's and Whites are kinda lame. But still decent. Don't know how you couldn't like it? But then again, I do see you have rated Sims as a 4/5, which I would never go back to ever again. And thought was one of the worst courses that I ever played.

I've been playing for 18+ years and have played well over 200 courses. Ashtabula from the longs is one of the BEST par 3 courses out there. Some of the fastest greens in disc golf. Great views, and an immaculately manicured course with absolutely no rough.

Red's and Whites are kinda lame. But still decent. Don't know how you couldn't like it? But then again, I do see you have rated Sims as a 4/5, which I would never go back to ever again. And thought was one of the worst courses that I ever played.

Sims has needed some TLC for a long time in which the city really doesnt let you do anything, but how can you hate Sims? The first 10 holes are wooded and technical and then it opens up too a air it out course with many adult trees into play. Then after 18 A and B you finish off with a nasty wooded hole that has the tighest line , but yet many have aced! Getting back to ashtabula how many of the blue tees do you got to automatically got to throw a roller 3 feet in front of you? Most of the blues suck! The best way to play ashtabula is from tee sign to tee sign.....that way you get a mix of red,whites and a few blue! If you want to play some great courses......Play Punderson state park in Newbury Ohio, Youngs Run in Warren Ohio, Veterans Park in Parma Ohio, Roscoe Ewing in Medina Ohio or Abertarion or Spiker in Canton Ohio.

Havent played any courses in PA, but if you consider Ash one of the best par 3's out there.......well I wont be driving to PA to play anytime soon!

What hole would you need to roll other than 6?

Sims is pretty much 15 of the same holes over and over with slight difference in distance. A little hyzer gets you to the pin every time.

PA would blow you away.

What hole would you need to roll other than 6?

Sims is pretty much 15 of the same holes over and over with slight difference in distance. A little hyzer gets you to the pin every time.

PA would blow you away.

I wish Sims was that easy! Have you played Punderson yet?

Hit iup, deer lakes, and linbrook! Thanks for tour Chris! Hoping to hit 2 mile, knob hill, moraine, and oil city tomorrow if the heat don't kill me.

Hit iup, deer lakes, and linbrook! Thanks for tour Chris! Hoping to hit 2 mile, knob hill, moraine, and oil city tomorrow if the heat don't kill me.

Be sure to bring plenty of water. I don't think there is any water on any of those courses during the round. Knob, Moraine, and Oil City all have bathrooms at the start that might have potable water. I try to avoid filling up at the course, so I am not sure on how good the water is.

Nice playing with you. Hopefully you enjoyed your day. Was cool to get to show you around as well as the 2 guys that we met after 9. Lots more work to do out there. Perhaps I should go out now and start piling up some debris?

Thanks for the heads up. Is this news more recent than the course update on June 10 that said the construction should be complete mid June?
Played back 9 of the black course this morning. Zip line opened today (just the first one) I think holes 3-8 are still closed for now but not 100% sure. You can call the park to find out. If you have the time it is well worth playing even if it's just the back. Last hole is worth the drive.

Lake Shore in Ashtabula isnt anything special. They do have elevation shot's and as a whole the park has a great view, but alot of the holes you can drive the basket from reds and whites. If you play from the Blues, alot of the shot's from the teepads blow....3 foot window from the ground, trees in front of teepads etc..... Not sure the courses you played but this course in my opionion isnt worth the drive and I only live a hour away!
:confused:

^ this. I have to agree with Chris, loved Lake Shore: continuous elevation and variety from add'l tee pads, + a few extra pins, well placed trees, rollaway greens... and no nasty shule. I think the discplay stands on it's own - the great views are just a bonus.

While it's not bad, I thought Sims was the very definition of "typical." IMO, it doesn't really do anything particularly well or stand out in any way.

Different strokes! :thmbup:

Last edited:
I hit 2 mile, knob hill, morraine, and oil city yesterday. Holy crap! I was hoping to get out to the Black course today, but was too sore and dehydrated. If it was more shaded I probably could have made it, I'm gonna have to check it out when it's cooler. I may be back in Pittsburgh soon for work, just hope its a little cooler and can't wait to come back and play again. I was thoroughly impressed with all the courses, except oil city. I felt ripped off there's no big downhill shot there, you walk up some crazy mountain slope but play mostly flat.

Made it home an hour ago after a scare with my vehicle in the middle of nowhere. The stupid computer went crazy and took out my traction control, RPM gauge, and made my transmission all screwy, and couldn't get into proper gears. I barely made it to the next rest stop, then after restarting the vehicle everything was fine. I need to get those crazy tiny unicorns to stop crapping on the rotater splint. :\

:confused:

^ this. I have to agree with Chris, loved Lake Shore: continuous elevation and variety from add'l tee pads, + a few extra pins, well placed trees, rollaway greens... and no nasty shule. I think the discplay stands on it's own - the great views are just a bonus.

While it's not bad, I thought Sims was the very definition of "typical." IMO, it doesn't really do anything particularly well or stand out in any way.

Different strokes! :thmbup:

How many times have you played the course? I live by the course and I would rather play Punderson,youngs run, veterans, roscoe ewing, spiker etc......Not a big fan of lakeshore, When I play a course I really dont care about the view and the flow of the course sucks! Agian my opionion but I dont get one of the best! Have you played any of the others I mentioned?

Punderson was designed by the same person who designed Lakeshore!! And I have played LakeShore well over 50 times, dating all the way back to 2001. Sims I played once, and was not impressed one bit. Shot -10. There just isn't much challenge to it. Only hole I remember is the one out towards the lake.

Yes I have played Spiker, Youngs, Roscoe, and Veterans. All are decent courses. Though I think I would put Lakeshore above them all, with roscoes probably tying it in quality.

I have the course record at Youngs!!! I believe it was a 43?

SIDEWINDER....Nice playing with you. I had a feeling you were gonna have a rough day out there Friday. Hottest I have seen it here in years. I'm sure it will be better next time you come through. Hope you had fun playing all of our courses.

I agree with the Oil City thoughts. I kept waiting for that big downhill as well. Thought it was coming on 18? I'd love to see a few minor tweaks done out there. Too bad they didn't ask the PFDS to design it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice review of Linbrook. I'll continue to improve it as much as I can over the next few years. Let me know next time you are coming to town and I'll move some of the pins.