• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburg/Erie/Ohio/WV here I come

I know ....I play with Tom all the time and I bust his balls all the time saying he builds nothing but " RIGHTY " courses.....and He knows I'm not a fan of lakeshore. Mr Mote will be taking on another course as well in about a year ;)

Still not a fan of ashtabula...

Let's just agree to disagree...

How many times have you played the course? I live by the course and I would rather play Punderson,youngs run, veterans, roscoe ewing, spiker etc......Not a big fan of lakeshore, When I play a course I really dont care about the view and the flow of the course sucks! Agian my opionion but I dont get one of the best! Have you played any of the others I mentioned?
I have to chuckle, cuz your review of Sims begins with "Great views from Lake Erie!"
Haven't played the others you listed. Only played Lake Shore and Sims once each. Didn't say Lake Shore was one of the best, but did say:
...loved Lake Shore: continuous elevation and variety from add'l tee pads, + a few extra pins, well placed trees, rollaway greens... and no nasty shule. I think the discplay stands on it's own - the great views are just a bonus.
My basis for comparison is the catalogue of courses I've played to date, and isn't limited to what's in the area.

However, comparing it to the two nearest courses I have played, I liked it more than Pymatuning and waaaayy more than Sims, which as I said earlier, is the definition of typical (and I think that might be pushing it). In my review of Sims, I wrote:
"Despite the contrast from short/tech to medium/open fairways, Sims lacks variety: Wooded holes range from 190' - 285'. Open holes range from 260'-395'. Except for a few holes (1, 2, 8, 21), there's really no need for well-rounded shot making repertoire. A putter or mid on a hyzer line will work well for about half of the first eight, and while you can play several lines on the open holes, 250-350 thrown flat and fairly straight with some fade at the end is all you really need. Master that, and you can score well here."
I still stand behind that statement.

Perhaps we just see things differently or even place different value on various aspects of the game and course design. I can live with that. Maybe next time I head out that way, we can play a few rounds on some of the courses you mentioned and show me what you like about them. Let me know if you ever plan to hit any courses out this way.

Last edited:
I have to chuckle, cuz your review of Sims begins with "Great views from Lake Erie!"
Haven't played the others you listed. Only played Lake Shore and Sims once each. Didn't say Lake Shore was one of the best, but did say:
My basis for comparison is the catalogue of courses I've played to date, and isn't limited to what's in the area.

However, comparing it to the two nearest courses I have played, I liked it more than Pymatuning and waaaayy more than Sims, which as I said earlier, is the definition of typical (and I think that might be pushing it). In my review of Sims, I wrote:
I still stand behind that statement.

Perhaps we just see things differently or even place different value on various aspects of the game and course design. I can live with that. Maybe next time I head out that way, we can play a few rounds on some of the courses you mentioned and show me what you like about them. Let me know if you ever plan to hit any courses out this way.

I dont update this site ....I've played Sims probably over 100 times and Ash about 20 times. If I was comparing the two nearest to me, not counting Osbourne, it would be Veterans and Sims! Not trying to start a fight, just giving my opionion.

You could play Schenley and try to figure out why Dave242 thinks it is one of the best courses hes ever played....lol....I am still trying to figure that one out :)

I just noticed this post....and coincidentally someone just PM'ed yesterday asking how/why I rated Schenley the same as Flip (both 4.0). I sent him this:
--------------------
Here are my review grades of Schenley with a little extra explanation (keep in mind that this is from the long tees):

What I personally like and how this course stacks up (from the longs):

1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A-
(B for Flip)
Hole shape and length/width ratios make you think about how aggressive to get and if it is worth playing conservatively or aggressively. I like that there is trouble early in the fairway often as this is a good way to turn a birdie into a bogey if you are off. Flip does not have this almost anywhere.

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A- (B- for Flip)
Between really good hole lengths, terrain and obstacles, I can tell if I am having a good or bad round by my score. You get punished for mistakes with a higher score and are rewarded with birdies for executing well. The majority of the holes at Schenley fit this description whereas only about half of them at Flip do.

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A- (B+ for Flip)
I think this is self explanatory.

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B (A- for Flip)
It is quite pretty with the views....but seclusion is not good. This maybe should have been a B-. Flip wins this hands down (although I like natural beauty and the stone piles all over Flip actually end up detracting a little for me)

5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C (C for Flip)
This is a 5 point max extra credit, so a C is about 2 points. Flip has only 2 real multi-throw holes and only 1 decent one....about the same.

I hope that helped.
----------------------------

The one thing I would point out is that almost every review lists these 3 things as cons: Very crowded, Safety due to conflict with other park activities, and navigation.

You will notice that none of these are part of what I review since none of these are about the actual airways and flight patterns (which is the largest part of my criteria). I think that explains the 1 point discrepancy between my rating (4.0) and the DGCR average (3.0)

haha Dave I actually enjoyed Schenley for all of the same reasons you did.....and after playing it I truly began to understand that you stand by your convictions and are your own man......it was a little snug in regards to holes being close to one another but other than that it was a very fun course