• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pittsburg/Erie/Ohio/WV here I come

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
So I'm heading to Pittsburg end of next week for work. I'm considering stopping at Seven Springs or IUP along the way leaning more toward IUP cause it looks more what I like. I definitely want to get in Deer Lake, Moraine, Knob Hill, and Linbrook on Thursday/Friday. Also thinking about maybe detouring up to Pymatuning and Lake Shore, maybe heading west through eastern Ohio and coming back through WV to hit the Black course. Any suggestions or anyone available to guide?

Stop by Handyman Ace Hardware DGC in Fairborn, Ohio. I'd be glad to meet up and throw a round, I live approximately 1 minute from the course.

7 springs is cool, but it will take you all day to play a round there.

IUP is nice for sure.

We have a PDGA sanctioned league at Knob on Friday at 6.

I also designed Linbrook and can show you around Thursday or Friday.

I also helped design Moraine and you should definitely play there. Play Deer Lakes also.

If you want someone to show you around Linbrook, I would be more than willing to show you around.

Stop by Handyman Ace Hardware DGC in Fairborn, Ohio. I'd be glad to meet up and throw a round, I live approximately 1 minute from the course.

Thanks, but that's the wrong side of Ohio.

Recently took a similar trip.
1) Listen to dietzel - he knows his locale. He was spot on about everything he said when I went.

2) When you hit Moraine (if you don't hit Moraine, you lose) hit North Country Brewing for good food and drink (thanks for that tip Tim & Chris). :thmbup:

3) I highly recommend Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula, Ohio (not far from PA, and close to Pymatuning). Just a really enjoyable place to play a round, but: print the Course Map. Pymatuning was very good, but I just loved Lake Shore.

4) Deer Lakes - you won't wanna miss that either.

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
7 springs is cool, but it will take you all day to play a round there.

IUP is nice for sure.

We have a PDGA sanctioned league at Knob on Friday at 6.

I also designed Linbrook and can show you around Thursday or Friday.

I also helped design Moraine and you should definitely play there. Play Deer Lakes also.

If you want someone to show you around Linbrook, I would be more than willing to show you around.
Thanks, I was thinking Seven Springs would probably be too much to do much else the same day or have much legs left. I'm thinking of hitting Linbrook late Thurs afternoon and would love to have you as guide!

Would it be crazy to do Deer Lake, Moraine and Knob Hill in one day?

The drive from Deer Lakes to Moraine is about an hour. Where will you be staying? If you are in Cranberry, then it would be possible....but, I wouldn't do that.

I'd play Deer Lakes with Knob or Moraine with Knob. Linbrook is only 5 minutes from Knob. So you could play any 3 in a day.

Also if you play IUP, your best bet would be to play IUP and Deer Lakes on the same day. Then you have a whole day for Knob, Linbrook and Moraine.

If you play Moraine and go to the North Country Brewery, there is a nice 9-hole course at Slippery Rock University that just had the tee signs installed.

Would it be crazy to do Deer Lake, Moraine and Knob Hill in one day?
I would say so ... Moraine takes a lot outta you.

I played Knob, Deer and Schenley with Tistoude in one day... but Schenley's pretty friendly, especially compared to Moraine. After Moraine, I was glad to get some grub and relax on the drive to Pymatuning.

You might wanna check out The Timberdoodle Thicket if you're gonna be in that part of West Virginia. Charming course set on a mountainside with great hosts.

I'm staying at the Airport Marriott. I think that makes more sense to do IUP and Deer Lake, then Linbrook, Knob Hill and Moraine, maybe Slippery Rock if time.

I agree with everything said. Also, as for the black course- it's pretty epic, but the signage is non-existent and even the fairways are a bit thick most of the time. Though, even with any complaints I have about it, the last hole almost makes it entirely worth playing there, lol

Also, oil city is an extremely awesome course if you can fit it in. Probably something like knob/moraine/oil city kind of deal.

IUP was a funner play IMO than 7 springs and IUP and DL are a great combo
2MRE is worth a play....some of the best holes in west PA are on that niner I kid you not
DL and Moraine are must plays
Pymatuning is worthwhile only if you are passing by or enjoy big open courses..its good but not as good as the others
I was utterly in awe of the holes at the Black Course.....I'd check on fairway growth/maintenance b4 making the trip...but if its even semi-clean play that course
knob wasnt all that special to me but it is a solid course just not destination
You could play Schenley and try to figure out why Dave242 thinks it is one of the best courses hes ever played....lol....I am still trying to figure that one out :)

Erie is a DG wasteland (which is a total shame, but that's another thread). Avoid Duck Run Disc Golf unless you absolutely, totally have to do some course baggin'.

Thanks y'all, now I'm thinking Erie maybe too much for my trip, so it's looking more like....
Thursday - IUP, Deer Lakes, and 2 Mile Run.
Friday - Linbrook, Knob Hill, and Moraine
Sat - Beatty Park, and Yellow/Black, home

Thanks y'all, now I'm thinking Erie maybe too much for my trip, so it's looking more like....
Thursday - IUP, Deer Lakes, and 2 Mile Run.
Friday - Linbrook, Knob Hill, and Moraine
Sat - Beatty Park, and Yellow/Black, home

Just an FYI, black is awesome, but yellow is fairly lame. It's just a temp set up all the time.

Depending on what time you play which course Thur/Fri I would be more than willing to show you around. I work until 4:30 so would probably only be able to meet up for your later rounds.

Some of the holes on the black course are closed right now do to a Zip line going in the park.

Might want to consider something else.

Some of the holes on the black course are closed right now do to a Zip line going in the park.

Might want to consider something else.

Thanks for the heads up. Is this news more recent than the course update on June 10 that said the construction should be complete mid June?