• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Plasma Volt, freakish stability?!

FinHatch

Birdie Member
Bought a brand new, dark blue plasma volt(174g) last fall to be my fairway driver in my MVP setup.

Thing is its still much more stabile than I expected, more so than my old champion teebird(168g) or even plasma inertia(174g)?!

Is this common with this disc?

I dont throw far(max <300 feet) but that teebird and discmania FD did work okay with me.

At 300ft power, one will find most MVP drivers are more OS than expected because of the GYRO weight design. They are very spin-dependent discs that need a heavy snap to fly correctly. This is why many of their molds appear to fly identically with little variation.

Option A: Reduce the weight of your Volt by ~10-20grams.

Option B: Until your power/snap improves, stick with traditionally designed discs that have a more balanced weight distribution.

You cant get a lighter volt mmblink unless fission and even those 150 class can be OS for sub 300' throwers.

A domey volt would be less OS but those are not "normal".

Sounds like the volt is flying how it should.

Yeah I know, is just that I have some other MVP/Axiom stuff (Envy,Vector,Theory, that Inertia) and feels like I have much easier time with those fellas than this one Volt.

You are meaning that its more OS(fades hard), because this statement doesn't make sense to me...

Thing is its still much more stabile than I expected, more so than my old champion teebird(168g) or even plasma inertia(174g)?!

...Because a Volt is supposed to be more OS than an old tbird or inertia... Not sure why that would be freakish...

Last edited:
Yeah I know, is just that I have some other MVP/Axiom stuff (Envy,Vector,Theory, that Inertia) and feels like I have much easier time with those fellas than this one Volt.

The volt pairs great along with those molds. Skip shots/headwinds/helix. Once it starts to season there isnt a straighter disc on the market IMO. Should lose the fade but keep the high speed stability.

Good luck! We all have been there b4 figuring out discs. They all work it is just a matter of preference sometimes.

Have you tried an Amp? Same wing width but a straighter flight for someone with your power. Keep the Volt around for headwinds and to grow into, and get an Amp as a work horse straight flyer. The Amp will be a useful turnover disc for you down the road.

I would venture to say throw a Relay. Yes speed 7, but at 300' the Relay is freaking money all day. And talk about shapeable lines.

To my defense those are the numbers the finnish site I ordered my volt from gives to the disc, not too far from latitudes River for example.
Also plasma was described as the most understable plastic from the ones available.

Attachments

• volt.png
    volt.png
    103.1 KB · Views: 27
That is weird in terms of Plasma typically being less stable, but Volts are pretty stable to start with. My older Neutron Volts were less stable than my most recent purchase, hard to say if that was lack of wear or a different run of plastic. In any case, I appreciate the stability on the FH flicks I mostly use it for.

Volts are more like old beefy PDs for me than any TB/FD. If you want something in the TB/FD range, try an Axiom Crave. You can thank me later.

Bumping this thread: been working on my technique this spring/summer and just like ye folks said the volt's getting straighter, its my go-to driver for under 100 meter holes now.

Flight's quite similar to that teebird when I was throwing with lesser power.

Talk about getting it right the first time. Volt, Vector, Ion, Resistor, Relay, Tesla, Photon. It seems the first mold of its speed class stands out as the best over time.