• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plastic alternatives?

WorldPax

Bogey Member
Been thinking of making some discs out of wood. Has anyone ever seen this or any other discs made out of anything but plastic? I'm talking about actual usable discs, not just show pieces.

When I wsa playing ultimate in college one of the girls came out with a wooden disc she had turned on the lathe. We laughed and thought it would make a cool trophy. Then we started to play a little catch with it, then chucked it across the field. I probably got a 95-100 yd flight out of it. It hurts to catch but flies great. We didn't let it hit the ground though.

Wood golf discs would be problematic. You'd need insanely old wood to not have it warp at all, at the very least...That, or impregnate it with epoxy like the boat building guys do....which well...means you really have a plastic disc.

Maybe you could put a steel rim around a wooden disc, like they do with the discus? You can adjust the weight on a discus, that would be an awesome feature for disc golf.

oh man I can see it now...ninjas of the future throwing golf discs instead of shuriken, for long distance decapitations!

"Quick! He's getting away!"

"No worries, I brought my Destroyer with me. He's only 340 feet away right now."

*snikt!*

"Heh...fore. :twisted: "

I can hear the people on NinjaDiscAssasinationsReview.com now...

"You really should stick with Teebirds until you can decapitate somebody from 350 feet away with no flutter or OAT. Then you can move up to faster flying death discs like the Destroyer."

GorillaTactics said:
I can hear the people on NinjaDiscAssasinationsReview.com now...

"You really should stick with Teebirds until you can decapitate somebody from 350 feet away with no flutter or OAT. Then you can move up to faster flying death discs like the Destroyer."

OMG- totally spit coffee through my nose!

Really though, no steel, maybe a bit of rubber coating around the edge, but I don't think that would be needed. Also thinking about carbon fiber discs, talk about super cool. Does anyone here know a basket weaver? Why not a reed or grass putter, all seems doable.

If we played with wooden discs would there be rules and regs about pine tar? Marshals could roam the course, looking for corked discs.

I'd like to try throwing a walnut destroyer.

There are companies that make wood trophies for tournaments, I have tried throwing them and found them to be really flippy (they have an almost equal distribution of weight to make the flight plate stampable) they also hurt to catch. I think some form of organic weave might work but not very well. Rigidity standards would be an issue with most sources.

Latest posts