• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post pics of your Disc Dog

train him to dive.

start early.;)

He is not fond of getting a bath, but he does like water. I found that out, when I had him out walking in front of the property, and there is a large ditch out there full of water, and he went right in it. It was a mess.

The running up and jumping on people is a behavior that you should never tolerate. If you watch the shows on TV, they all say to ignore and turn away from the dog when he jumps on you. I also like to undermine the dog's jumping by bringing my knee up under his belly as a way to push him off. That way I don't reach towards him with my hands, which he could interpret as a move to pet or play. It can be a tough habit to break, but it's certainly a discipline you want to be consistent with: no jumping on people out of excitement.

With the running up to strangers in the park thing, my advice is to keep your dog on his leash. Once the dog is good at responding to your commands on the leash, he'll be more likely to respond to your commands off the leash. Of course then you have to decide whether or not to obey the local leash laws. ;)

Lab Training

He is not fond of getting a bath, but he does like water. I found that out, when I had him out walking in front of the property, and there is a large ditch out there full of water, and he went right in it. It was a mess.

I trained my black lab, Floyd, on the local courses. He has never been hesitant to jump in any kind of water. I adopted him when he was a skinny little pup. It took Floyd about 3-4 months out there playing solo rounds before I was comfortable taking him along for a round with friends. It was about another 2-3 months before I brought him a long for league play.

I believe the most important part of the training was consistency with the verbal commands. Just pick 2 or 3 at most. Labs respond to the tone of voice more than the words anyways. In the early stages, I used a spike collar to re-enforce the commands/directions. When he was about 2 years old, I ditched the spike collar b/c he was responding appropriately.

Floyd was (still is) happy to chase anything. This was a big challenge in the beginning, as he would run towards other groups if he saw a disc in the air. Plenty of groups laughed at me while screaming at Floyd. Most of the time, he would respond before grabbing the disc, but there were a few minor incidents.

I also carried a few tennis balls for a while to keep him busy and focused on playing fetch instead of chasing discs. He is now a regular on the course and greets everyone like he owns the place. On the rare occasions (or tournaments) when I can not bring him along, I feel like something is missing out there. Thankfully only 1 of my local courses has a "NO DOG" policy. I have not been there for a looooong time.

Good luck with your new pup! Let me know if you need any advice along the way.

My Awesome black lab passed away a year ago (almost to this day actually). Here's our new pup...a lab puppy was out of the question in an apartment...
IMAG0203.JPG

IMAG0206.JPG

His hair was too long to take him out when those were taken...but now that he's gotten a haircut...maybe...
IMAG0211.JPG

Don't gotta worry about on-leash too much. He doesn't scare people very easily :D

Last edited:
Not mine, but I play with this dog several times a week. Finally got a short video of him in action. Notice how loose his grip on the disc is. He almost never leaves marks. He also will submerge his head in deeper water, he just doesn't dive.

She is an alright disc dog, but has quite the mouth on her, so she doesn't come out often when I am playing with a group. She is an awesome hiking dog though. This is her on our decent from La Plata, Colorados 5th tallest mountain. This was an 8 hour round trip hike.

Cleo
Photo0932.jpg

Jackson just got his first taste of disc golf this week. I thought I would introduce him to the game with 36 holes on a nice October Texas day. He's about as chill as a dog can possibly be, so he handles the DG scene well. Still hasn't gained any nice disc retrieving skills, but there's always time to learn that later. :)

picture.php

This is Kai. He has been disc golfing all his life. He loves getting out to smell the park and stretch his legs. He never touches or cares about the discs and follows my lead well.

6092_100801146598554_100000060080412_21244_7735958_n.jpg

karottop420

This is marty (cocker spanial) & oscar (schnouser). Marty had his first round about a week ago n had a blast. He's not quite ready to be off leash, to worried about ducks. Dont know if he'll ever grow out of that one. Lol hard to undo generations of instinct.

I keep tell9ing my man that he could use our dog as a caddy. I've got the backpack for him and everything.

Here's Rocko, my 18 month old Boxer out at Horning's Hideout in Oregon. Me, Mik and our friend Clint made an overnight camping trip down there to play golf. I was the photographer for both days. Had a BLAST!!!
100_3373.jpg

Raven Skyfire

I used to take this one to the course with me, but now she only comes when I go back home. Dad will go to the course with me and Mom will bring the dog for a walk. Her name is mischa, she does decent. I still keep the leash on her, just keep the retracted leash long and just let it drag when i'm throwing or if nobody is around.

zwx7vr.jpg

29gn3wh.jpg

20jml2r.jpg