• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Potential tech standards changes?

Actually I think many new players can handle and "need" the overstable drivers for forehands which seems more popular than ever as their preferred throw. It's throwing these discs backhand and getting them to turn and S-flex that usually takes more effort and practice.

come on what?
he is using the word for what it means. just cause your understanding of that word is wrong doesn't mean you should get on peoples cases.
Would you get on a mechanics case when he tells you he needs to retard your car's timing? if you did you would be wrong, because that is the technical term for what he would be doing.

Yeah, this is definitely shady. And his dramatic hat demonstration? Definitely douchey. There are already limits in place in regards to weight, rim configuration, etc. Companies with high speed drivers have models at or close to these limits, Innova included. Innova was happy making the molds before. What changed? Maybe competition with other companies touting new long distance drivers (even though they are bound to the same guidelines set forth by the pdga)? If stricter limitations pass, it could kill the newer startup companies that have already invested time and money in producing these discs.

I never really cared what brands I threw, but crap like this pisses me off. I might pull the few innova molds from my bag and just support some of the little guys.

Actually I think many new players can handle and "need" the overstable drivers for forehands which seems more popular than ever as their preferred throw. It's throwing these discs backhand and getting them to turn and S-flex that usually takes more effort and practice.

This may be true, but could't they achieve similar results with any overstable disc regardless of speed? I only forehand for sub 200 approaches, and use a putter or midrange, so I don't really know how it goes off the tee.

Still, how will reducing the max weight on the HS drivers (from175 to ~169) change anything significantly?
Is this a half-measure that will only "nod" at the problem, but not make a significant change?

Money and money only. They could sell a lot of new discs if standards change..

and that right there is probably what it is all about. if it happened, I would not be replacing my Innova drivers with new Innova drivers, that's for sure.

this just seems like another thing the pDGA is wasting their time and efforts on instead of an issue that matters.
Personally I think the biggest issue for all tech standards is the baskets. They need to be re-defined and hurt the sports image. Designed for super-class discs, and make putting super easy compared to what a professional sport should have. ESPN and the Olympics I believe had the same issue. Funny how they tell us how to get on TV and grow, and we rubble rabble about things that don't matter.
Need a full changing of the guard in my opinion in the pDGA organization. Get the sponsored players and fanboys out of there, I want impartial and forward thinking minds on the BoD and running the show.
Still, how will reducing the max weight on the HS drivers changed anything significantly?
Is this a half-measure that will only "nod" at the problem, but not make a significant change?

what is the problem?????? i don't see one. besides the inability for manufacturers to abide by the already existing max weight limit.

No, he's not. Perhaps you need to read it again.

ya i guess. i still dont have a problem with it. people need to get less butt hurt about things like that.
i bet you use the word "gay" for something other than happy don't you? Do you get upset one someone says "this thing is gay"? I doubt it.

Perhaps the issue is not the current max-weight, max-speed, max-rim drivers, but the possibility someone will come out with a bigger circumference, 200g, sharp-edged driver. There have been rumors.

Perhaps the issue is not the current max-weight, max-speed, max-rim drivers, but the possibility someone will come out with a bigger circumference, 200g, sharp-edged driver. There have been rumors.

and what is wrong with that?

ya i guess. i still dont have a problem with it. people need to get less butt hurt about things like that.
i bet you use the word "gay" for something other than happy don't you? Do you get upset one someone says "this thing is gay"? I doubt it.

I get upset over it.

That isn't the point, the point is speaking or writing in a community about disc golf where gay people, women, people of any race, or people who have loved ones with disabilities means using your brain before you post. "Retarded" or "gay" are well known to be offensive in the way used and the way you used, which is simply not a very cool thing.

I think people are jumping all over Innovas nuts for no reason.

The largest disc golf company in the world is potentially proposing somethieng that would greatly reduce their profits, and many people on here are bashing them saying they are trying to squeeze out the little guy. Ummm..no. Just because Innova is successful doesnt mean they are some Halliburton-esque evil corporation. They are a company that got in on the ground floor and still have deep love for the game. Whatever the end result of the presentation is intended to be, its goal is to help the game, not hurt it.

It sounds like he wants the sport to shift more towards skill/accuracy over distance. I don't see a problem with that.

I get upset over it.

That isn't the point, the point is speaking or writing in a community about disc golf where gay people, women, people of any race, or people who have loved ones with disabilities means using your brain before you post. "Retarded" or "gay" are well known to be offensive in the way used and the way you used, which is simply not a very cool thing.
Getting worked up over "retarded" and "gay" on the internet... in 2013.

Why even waste your time and energy and derail the thread? Just accept the comment as being 'ignorant' or 'insensitive' and move on with your life. Nothing is going to change. Its been like this since usenet.

Technology has also really dumbed down the amount of skill required to play, too -- even at the higher levels. Any hulk can just grab a high-speed overstable driver and be fairly successful. It used to be that you needed some skill. Call me a bitter old fart, but it's true.

^^^^ yes