• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Premium or Baseline Plastic Driving Putters?

Driving putter plastic preference?

• Total voters
I used to use a mix of premium and baseline, with my premium one used for straight to hyzer shots and baseline for everything less stable than that. For the last year and a half I have switched to all baseline with the exception of an ESP Zone for beefy duties. I have found the grip and glide of base plastic to be unmatched by their premium counterparts, and time it takes for stability to be lost is very slow. Even when it does eventually happen I do have a small stack of Soft Wizards to work through.

I have a stack of beat rhinos that I drive with. And a stack of fresh Ontario champs. I like to use the beat ones for hyzerflips and the champs for hyzers and flex shots. Been using the same pair for not quite a year now and I imagine they still have quite a bit of life to each of them.

A mix. Normally I drive with premium, but I like to have a baseline or two for the inclement weather days.

I love OS putters to drive with, my favorites are a Champ Rhyno and a BT Soft Harp. So I guess that's one higher end and one lower.

I carry both. RGL Spikes because they start out nice and keep that niceness for a very long time. Before they were made it was Grip Line Spikes. I also use OG Wizards for drives and upshots because they are more overstable, they feel great in all weather conditions and when they are thrashed it costs me 8-10 bucks to get a new one. The thrashed ones become a giant stack of plastic I don't know what to do with but I can't bring myself to get rid of them

Y-Pro Aviar and R-Pro Dart. I'd call them baseline since Pro and DX are relatively not durable as compared to Champ/Star (to use Innova plastic as an example).

I only started using putters for drivers in the last year or so when I was able to figure out more distance. I have gone through at least 15 different molds so far, and finally settled on the Lucid Judge and a G9i Wizard. The Lucid Judge is great because as many people have said, it holds any line you put it on and doesn't fade too much and doesn't turn too much. The G9i just crushes and sits where I put it. I like having a premium putter for wooded courses, and a base plastic for open courses, so it wont beat in too fast.

Mix it up! My personal preferences have me carrying three different Gateway discs. My ideal driving putter is an Evolution Wizard. Another RFF Wizard is in the bag for precarious pin placements and downhill approaches. The third putter is my SS Magic for everything inside the cirlce...

I go all premium for driving putters. Usually more forgiving of any OAT issues off the tee and holds up better on tree hits (many trees on my home courses).

I have some beat in premium putters that I use for hyzer flips/turning drives or more finesse approaches. They just seem to hold their sweet spot longer/better.

I got one, maybe 2 base line putters with better grip to try out for those torrential downpour days, but overall that seemed to be a wash. Granted I had limited practice time with them, but they felt too grippy and acted too sensitive w/r/t to my style of game in those downpour conditions.

Note though, my putting game is my weak spot and I can absolutely see how a baseline putter for putting duties would make sense. But for me, I'm a bag minimalist and just feel more comfortable using premium putters off the tee, approaches, and 'putting' (that is, what I call 'putting'....:\)

I'm a little surprised I'm in the minority with using base plastic only for putters. I do bag an ESP Zone but I guess that's more towards a mid than a traditional putter. Wizards for all putter duties.