• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro Tour Live Coverage

I really want to watch this coverage.

It took like a week last time, by that point I knew who won and had already seen all the second card stuff. This time I'm just pretending there wasn't a tournament and if some coverage that doesn't make me motion sick shows up then that'll be a bonus.

I'm sure there'd be pitchforks everywhere if they hadn't already announced they were going to external companies for the rest of the tournaments.

After all that has transpired over the last few weeks you would think that putting out post-produced videos, on time, would be of the highest priority. All of the focus was on Jonesboro to bake our cookies.

I think the discussion was more in reference to Double G as a player in general - more so than his performance at just this tournament.

Yeah that sounds right. It would be real interesting to see how much better he would be if he putted like McBeth. Especially on a course like Jonesboro.

All of the focus was on Jonesboro to bake our cookies.

I think they lost the recipe. Putting out fast forwarded video is like putting beach sand in your chocolate chip cookie dough. Sure it's the same color as the cookie, but nobody who has ever had a cookie wants that.

People can complain about the audio issues, camera work, commentators, stream outages, general quality, or whatever all they want. However, I think the worst decision of the weekend was playing commercials while players are missing putts for crying out loud! Show the putts, then play the commercials, and everyone gets a break.

So are we sticking with this Roku thing? Any discussion from Dodge detailing the reasons other than they can hope to monitize it better if they maintain/increase the viewership?
I just bought a Roku TV so they better stick to it now... although it also has a youtube app so I'll be watching JomezPro wiithout all the extra hassle of dongles and casting and playstation streaming and whatnot

...so I watched like 30 seconds of the currently posted first round coverage on smashboxxtv's youtube channel. Is this actually the post round video? It's sped up and looks like claymation. Not going to happen for me.

Me too. I got motion sickness from the constant switching between fast and slow... very weird and unwatchable. I had to turn it off after a few throws. Then I was disappointed because I had contributed to their view count. Ugh! never again.

I watched the last half of the MPO yesterday on DGN, I have to say I've never seen such amazing video quality, audio and content as I saw in the commercials. The disc golf coverage was lacking though. I even dropped it 720 as someone suggested, didn't help with the stuttering. The post round interview seemed very... awkward. I love Paul, but felt it was odd he didn't thank Discraft.

Get the actual play coverage even half as good quality as the commercials and this may be a hit. I second, don't play commercials while people are putting. I don't like it when Jomez does it either.

Yeah that sounds right. It would be real interesting to see how much better he would be if he putted like McBeth. Especially on a course like Jonesboro.
Just applying McBeth's average percentages for C1X and C2 for the DGPT season thus far to Gurthie's DGPT events thus far...
He improves by 11 strokes total at The Memorial. Moves from 44th to 14th place.
He improves by 0 strokes total at WACO.
He improves by 6 strokes total at Jonesboro. Moves from 2nd to 1st place.

Nothing super scientific about any of that. But interesting to note. It shows you just how good McBeth has been off the tee, even as everyone has marveled at his recaptured putting stroke this season. Gurthie, even with McBeth's putting, would have one win and two finishes outside of the top 10 - and he's one of our favorite names to highlight when we talk about the best off the tee.

Then again, looking at this stuff - Gurthie seems to be REALLY hit or miss off of the tee. He's in the top 15 in C1 in regulation, but he's way down the list for C2 in regulation - if he's not parking it, it isn't going well for him at all.

So are we sticking with this Roku thing? Any discussion from Dodge detailing the reasons other than they can hope to monitize it better if they maintain/increase the viewership?
I just bought a Roku TV so they better stick to it now... although it also has a youtube app so I'll be watching JomezPro wiithout all the extra hassle of dongles and casting and playstation streaming and whatnot

According to what JonnyV said on the Smashboxx podcast last week, the Roku app is just the start. They're going to be developing one for AppleTV and presumably for other streaming consoles like Xbox, Playstation, and I would hope Android/Chromecast so there's no need to cast one's browser. So I expect that the DGN thing will stick around and I would note that the naming of it suggests that Steve may envision it might eventually include non-DGPT live content.

From what I saw this weekend, it seemed like the biggest hiccup encountered with the stream was that their service provider was unprepared for the volume, which led to a lot of errors the first couple days. That appeared to get mostly ironed out for Sunday. I remember when udisc live first launched, they encountered similar issues but they didn't last long as they scaled up to accommodate the demand and were better prepared for it at future events. I expect the same for the next DGPT broadcasts.

According to what JonnyV said on the Smashboxx podcast last week, the Roku app is just the start. They're going to be developing one for AppleTV and presumably for other streaming consoles like Xbox, Playstation, and I would hope Android/Chromecast so there's no need to cast one's browser. So I expect that the DGN thing will stick around and I would note that the naming of it suggests that Steve may envision it might eventually include non-DGPT live content.

From what I saw this weekend, it seemed like the biggest hiccup encountered with the stream was that their service provider was unprepared for the volume, which led to a lot of errors the first couple days. That appeared to get mostly ironed out for Sunday. I remember when udisc live first launched, they encountered similar issues but they didn't last long as they scaled up to accommodate the demand and were better prepared for it at future events. I expect the same for the next DGPT broadcasts.

Honestly, I don't see why? It seems a lot of cost and effort for minimal return. You can set up pay-to-watch from any website and most TVs will run a web browser.

I wonder if part of Steve's burgeoning cost structure is the desire to explore multiple formats and to purchase lots of equipment?

In business lingo, that I vaguely remember, there are IT leaders, fast followers, slow followers, and get alongers. The best options are considered to be fast or slow followers, in terms of cost. And leaders are considered very risky. Steve feels a lot like an IT leader when he should be a slow follower.

Honestly, I don't see why? It seems a lot of cost and effort for minimal return. You can set up pay-to-watch from any website and most TVs will run a web browser.

I wonder if part of Steve's burgeoning cost structure is the desire to explore multiple formats and to purchase lots of equipment?

In business lingo, that I vaguely remember, there are IT leaders, fast followers, slow followers, and get alongers. The best options are considered to be fast or slow followers, in terms of cost. And leaders are considered very risky. Steve feels a lot like an IT leader when he should be a slow follower.

It would be strange to start a "Disc Golf Network" that was off air 98% of the time, only showing live DGPT coverage.

I could imagine JomezPro airing all their stuff. It seems that 9 holes is a good half hour show with a few commercials. If they had a reason to, I'm sure they could tighten up their timelines to exactly 30 minute blocks (or 27 minute blocks) with a commercial break in between.

Then you could run a network, with an on air schedule. I'd also bet that Dynamic Discs, Innova Discs, Discraft, Johnny disc golf, and others would produce 'shows' and sell them to DGN to fill up air time.

A great sick day would be to turn on DGN and watch a tourney on JomezPro, and maybe some reality TV show following 5 guys in a van doing the touring life.

Hopefully eventually they will have just one week where it seems like they have done it all before...

It would be strange to start a "Disc Golf Network" that was off air 98% of the time, only showing live DGPT coverage.

I could imagine JomezPro airing all their stuff. It seems that 9 holes is a good half hour show with a few commercials. If they had a reason to, I'm sure they could tighten up their timelines to exactly 30 minute blocks (or 27 minute blocks) with a commercial break in between.

Then you could run a network, with an on air schedule. I'd also bet that Dynamic Discs, Innova Discs, Discraft, Johnny disc golf, and others would produce 'shows' and sell them to DGN to fill up air time.

A great sick day would be to turn on DGN and watch a tourney on JomezPro, and maybe some reality TV show following 5 guys in a van doing the touring life.

It's already more than just the live broadcast. The post-produced stuff from Memorial and WACO (questionable quality that they are) are available on the app, as is a whole bunch of stuff from past MSDGC and Vibram Open DVDs (stuff Steve surely had laying around since he produced all of it).

Add in the archive of videos currently hosted on the DGPT Youtube channel and there's a lot of potential content even without adding anything owned by other providers like Jomez and CCDG. I don't think it necessarily needs a live schedule so much as it can be a Netflix style repository for disc golf content, only with the capability of showing live broadcasts as well.

What I imagine is going on with DGPT broadcasting is the usual battle between the technologists and the marketers. The marketers need to sell ads, so they have a list of functions their potential customers want; the technologists need to make the product work, so they have a list of functions necessary for solid performance.

Good management balances effort devoted to each of the two lists.

One problem they can fix instantly at no cost is to explain to the camera person/director/producer (who's ever in charge) that we do not want to watch the thrower watch their throw. We want to watch the throw/flight of disc.

I don't care what the player is doing after they throw.

I saw that too many times this weekend.

One problem they can fix instantly at no cost is to explain to the camera person/director/producer (who's ever in charge) that we do not want to watch the thrower watch their throw. We want to watch the throw/flight of disc.

I don't care what the player is doing after they throw.

I saw that too many times this weekend.
I agree. I don't mind the reaction-cam, but minimizing the disc flight in a picture in picture and focusing on reaction is backward. Put the reaction in the small screen OR show it in instant replay. A producer who has a knack for transitioning between cameras at the right time is sorely missed right now.

Is DGN also owned by Dodge? I'm guessing if it's not, he's still a part of it. Seems like the overall business plan is to use DGPT to provide an initial "product" that can be shown/sold on the DGN platform/network. Then perhaps in the future other shows would be broadcast/sold from the DGN network onto the other major media outlets, etc.

Smashboxx - What happened? You've been around a long time, why all of a sudden you can't do quality control before you spend hours rendering/uploading to YouTube? Audio levels, strange player footage speeds, etc. Is it a DGPT curse? Seriously...yah..I get it you don't owe anyone an explanation for providing free content, but it would be interesting to know wth is going on.