• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me see if I've got the naming convention down:

1 - Most overstable
2 - Less stable than 1
3 - Less stable than 2
4 - Less stable than 3

I just watched the PP video. Interesting stuff. I'll look forward to these getting put into the Inbounds flight chart and throw them all up to compare. Seems like a lightweight D3 is possibly a sneaky easy disc to throw for those of us who stick below speed 9

i liked paige's video because it appeared that the guys throwing it were some randoms out on the course. we all know the pros can crush anything you give them, but it was nice to see somebody who isn't 1000+ rated throwing them.

i'm sure they will sell like crazy, and would guess that they will be fairly difficult to come across for random joe blow golfer at first. keep the demand high, and they have been very open about many more molds to come in later months. if they're somewhat difficult to get and every few months more molds come out i think it will just further build the hype.

what interests me the most at this point is how well the pros will adjust to all of these molds being released during the touring season. i'm sure they all get to test protos, but if it isn't pdga approved they can't be used in tournaments. with the memorial coming up will you see them all use the bags they used at the end of 2012 with the only new addition being prodigy warp speeders, or do you think some of these pros will use it as an opportunity to throw mixed bags until the entire prodigy line builds out?

what interests me the most at this point is how well the pros will adjust to all of these molds being released during the touring season. i'm sure they all get to test protos, but if it isn't pdga approved they can't be used in tournaments. with the memorial coming up will you see them all use the bags they used at the end of 2012 with the only new addition being prodigy warp speeders, or do you think some of these pros will use it as an opportunity to throw mixed bags until the entire prodigy line builds out?

My guess is that Prodigy is going to let them go mixed until everything is approved and the players are comfortable with their lineup. From a publicity perspective, I think Prodigy would benefit more from their players doing well early in 2013 with discs their comfortable with than forcing the issue about being Prodigy exclusive and risking a lack of familiarity causing lower performances. Just my opinion, though.

The biggest issue with that is, I don't know what the former sponsors have to say in a legal sense to that. If a player was formally Discraft and left for Prodigy, Discraft might not be interested in letting them throw what they're comfortable with. I know sponsors can restrict their players from using OTHER companies. But I have no idea if Discraft can actually prevent a player from using their product in competition. If Paige wants to use a Stalker, and buys it from a vendor as an everyday consumer like thousands of others, I'm not sure Discraft can police that.

My guess is that Prodigy is going to let them go mixed until everything is approved and the players are comfortable with their lineup. From a publicity perspective, I think Prodigy would benefit more from their players doing well early in 2013 with discs their comfortable with than forcing the issue about being Prodigy exclusive and risking a lack of familiarity causing lower performances. Just my opinion, though.

The biggest issue with that is, I don't know what the former sponsors have to say in a legal sense to that. If a player was formally Discraft and left for Prodigy, Discraft might not be interested in letting them throw what they're comfortable with. I know sponsors can restrict their players from using OTHER companies. But I have no idea if Discraft can actually prevent a player from using their product in competition. If Paige wants to use a Stalker, and buys it from a vendor as an everyday consumer like thousands of others, I'm not sure Discraft can police that.

I agree. They've gotta be able to play their game and succeed, and that should mean mixed bag until the whole line is out. And with the distance drivers coming out first, it's pretty genius - "Will just bombed that D1!" will be the norm, rather than, "Hey, did you see Will hit the fairway with that F2?" Drives are the money shots, from a viewership standpoint.

As for other companies being able to police what the Prodigy crew can throw, I don't think it will happen. Number one, if it says PDGA-approved and they have no contract with them, I don't think they can do anything about it. I'm not affiliated with Discraft, either, but I can throw their stuff.

And, more importantly, it'll look like sour grapes if they make a big fuss about it, and the big two need all the good PR they can get right now.

I agree. They've gotta be able to play their game and succeed, and that should mean mixed bag until the whole line is out. And with the distance drivers coming out first, it's pretty genius - "Will just bombed that D1!" will be the norm, rather than, "Hey, did you see Will hit the fairway with that F2?" Drives are the money shots, from a viewership standpoint.

As for other companies being able to police what the Prodigy crew can throw, I don't think it will happen. Number one, if it says PDGA-approved and they have no contract with them, I don't think they can do anything about it. I'm not affiliated with Discraft, either, but I can throw their stuff.

And, more importantly, it'll look like sour grapes if they make a big fuss about it, and the big two need all the good PR they can get right now.
i think that this is the least of Discraft's worries right now.

yeah, what i was getting at is will you see any of the formerly innova pros sneaking a few other manufacturers into their bags just because they can for the short future (will throwing buzzzes or cale throwing rocs). i'm sure there are molds from competitors that pros wish their sponsor offered and would throw but they can't. for the moment they can throw whatever they want until the full prodigy line up is available.

That was my inclination as well. But, boy is there going to be some steam rolling out of ears if Prodigy takes 1, 2, and 3 at the Memorial with the winners using other companies' putters and mids.

haha so what are the odds nikko uses some prodigy stamped wizards at some point this year?

Now THAT might cause issues. If other companies can't force players to not use their discs, they'll at least want it known that they are sinking putts with their plastic. I'd imagine swapping stamps is a big no-no anyways. They could wipe the stamps, though.

weren't the "retro" bar stamped buzzzes stamped by discraft pros? i don't see why a blank wiz couldn't make it to a prodigy hot stamp machine...

That was my inclination as well. But, boy is there going to be some steam rolling out of ears if Prodigy takes 1, 2, and 3 at the Memorial with the winners using other companies' putters and mids.

True, but it would also be a good opportunity for those companies to point out that they still put out a winning product, regardless of team affiliation.

I can see the headline on Innova's website now: "Random schmuck takes down the Memorial with our still-awesome and in no-way overhyped putter."

True, but it would also be a good opportunity for those companies to point out that they still put out a winning product, regardless of team affiliation.

I can see the headline on Innova's website now: "Random schmuck takes down the Memorial with our still-awesome and in no-way overhyped putter."

Except post-round interviews with Will S. will consist of nothing but dropping the Prodigy name. Man I love business politics.

This whole "vested interest" thing got me thinking. If these players are getting an equal share of profits from disc sales and such, I would be willing to bet it goes the other way too. Prodigy is going to see a percentage of any winnings their team rakes in. I'm honestly not sure if that was the norm for other big-name sponsors, though. But with a team like they have, Prodigy will most likely be adding a nice chunk of change to their profits with those winnings. I mean, any manufacturer and vendor will tell you the profit margins on disc sales are absolute crap. Taking a slice from winnings is pure bottom line money.

This whole "vested interest" thing got me thinking. If these players are getting an equal share of profits from disc sales and such, I would be willing to bet it goes the other way too. Prodigy is going to see a percentage of any winnings their team rakes in. I'm honestly not sure if that was the norm for other big-name sponsors, though. But with a team like they have, Prodigy will most likely be adding a nice chunk of change to their profits with those winnings. I mean, any manufacturer and vendor will tell you the profit margins on disc sales are absolute crap. Taking a slice from winnings is pure bottom line money.

In some ways it is. But if they are also paying the entry fees for all these players, on top of travel expenses, it's going to be kind of a wash. Not all of them are going to cash, so they may actually lose some money before the discs get moving quickly.

I'd love to see McBeast and Nate Doss (w/ Chuck Norris DNA activated) win all the Majors and NTs this year. Take that Prodigy fanboys. :p

I would say keep an eye on what the other discs are in their bags and if there are similarities throughout the team... chances are they know what the rest of the line up is going to fly like and will bag similar discs to get as used to them as they can.

however, if the rest of the prodigy line up follows the same concept as the drivers where they release the entire line where discs have similar rims but varying stability across the same "speed" it will be tough to judge.

*disclaimer* - I did not read entire thread so sorry if this thought has been conveyed already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts