• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even throw wide-rimmed discs anymore, but if the plastic is that nice and purdy I am going to have to get one :)

so you think some pros are taking a wait-and-see approach?
I think Discraft lost more than innova IMO.

I think it will be more like contract negotiations in professional sports. If a player sees a comparable player getting something, they want it. They deserve it. Etc. Prodigy starts paying better bonuses, paying travel costs, and the like, then other players with other companies will want it too. So those companies will either have to pony up or lose more players. Also, if these players are vested in the company, it's possible they also qualify for health insurance. That's something that pro players don't get as a "contract" player with other companies, and tends to sideline a lot of pros for part of the season.

Power in terms of number of discs for a U.S. manufacturer, yes. But I think Latitude may have more sales in the U.S., even if they are not based here. Just guessing.

As far as Innova and Discraft having to keep their players happy or failing, I really don't think this is going to be the case. The average new disc golfer who doesn't live on DGCR (like we do :D) will keep those companies afloat. If Prodigy comes into every big box retailer with base plastic at a good price, then Innova and Discraft will worry.

Count me as a believer that the pro game isn't what is going to make this sport keep growing. Instead, it is going to be putting more resources into schools and other places where young kids can play. Without having to spend resources on as many pros, I say this actually leaves Innova and Discraft in a better position to grow the youth market than they were before.

I am not saying Prodigy isn't going to succeed or help the pro game. But Innova and Discraft have been at this awhile and know their market. Yes, these pros left them, but I think if the two big companies thought they were totally necessary to success they would have fought to keep them on. Just my two cents.

I meant just by having a 16-disc line up within months, a stellar pro team, and obvious intentions to be a major player. I can't compare Lat sales to Prodigy sales, because there aren't any.

And I know you and I disagree on the "future" of DG. I won't begrudge you that. I still believe more mainstream exposure will be what creates more new players. Increasing the pro tour is just the first necessary step to gaining that exposure. You see that with a contract to get 4 events on TV this upcoming season. Will it end up being ESPN 8 "The Ocho"? Maybe. Time will tell.

Plus in a later post, you do point to Prodigy being involved with Nikko's project in bringing DG out there to the masses. So hopefully they can have an impact in both regards.

The market is made up of chuckers. Tournament players are a tiny percent of all players. Innovas hottest product is the Blizzard ultralight stuff. This is not made for the top players in the world but the occasional, casual player. Even among tournament players, the best players, the Pros buy very few discs. They either win them or get the for free from sponsorship. Ask anyone who runs tournaments how many discs the Pros buy.

The timing of Prodigy makes no sense. If it is true that this company has been 5 years in the making then why not release a slew of new discs in November in time for Christmas sales?

Prodigy releases 4 discs. All drivers. All with the same rim width (2.3cm). Isn't this the same size as a Boss or Force? Wide rim drivers are not user friendly for casual players. Someone explain how this makes sense.

Prodigy buys off a bunch of the top players, reportedly paying them $1,000 a month plus 2% ownership of the company (each). So after signing 12 players they have given away one quarter of the company. Not one of these players was a dominant Pro 5 years ago. How many will be dominant 5 years from now? And how many more Pros can Prodigy afford? Unless there is big $ backing them not many. Will the newest hotshot sign with Prodigy if they aren't also given 2% ownership, like the other Team members they are now beating in tournament?

So the Big 2 manufacturers bow out of the bidding war and wait to sign the next wave of superstars? The Big 2 make great discs and have an established distribution network. Does Prodigy or Dynamic Discs have anything to trump those advantages?

And from DD's perspective, they have to be feeling sick that Prodigy launched the same time they did. Btw, DD also launches AFTER Christmas sales. Why?

None of this is hate. These are just questions.

Whew, OK. First paragraph. You are right. Pros and competitive players are only a minimal slice of the revenue. However, sponsored pros and word of mouth from experienced players do drive that. New players see better players using 'X' and they are more likely to use it. Wiggins broke the world distance record with a Blizzard disc, and I think that pumped up their sales. Would they still be selling a lot without that? Probably. But they are certainly selling more because of it. Plus, if Prodigy creates an extensive street team, you'll see a lot more new players picking them up. I'm sure Nikko will be dropping the name constantly in his ventures.

They aren't worried about Christmas sales. I get the feeling they are more concerned with the sport than the money. Fresh for the 2013 season. Money is necessary, but I don't think it's their mission statement.

The first 4 drivers are going to be almost immediately followed by the putters, and so on. They will have 16 discs out in 4-5 months. In the world of disc releases, that's so close to all-at-once that we can't begrudge them the order they chose.

Certainly they have a structure in mind that is unlike any other out there. Who knows what intricacies lie in the business of it. It was good enough to lure almost a dozen of the premier players, and they're not prone to being foolish when it comes to the financial side of their livelihood.

Prodigy indicated in their video when discs beyond the first four drivers would be produced. That's when the PDGA would expect to get samples for testing and potential approval.

i bet discraft is worried right now.

i' buying tons of discraft and just went completely discraft a little over a month ago and already spent well over a thousand on discs, have three complete bag setups and still gotta get more backups, so I am doing my part to grow discraft.

i' buying tons of discraft and just went completely discraft a little over a month ago and already spent well over a thousand on discs, have three complete bag setups and still gotta get more backups, so I am doing my part to grow discraft.

This is very far from the norm in terms of money spent on disc golf, Discraft should be happy because you are equal to 2-3 disc golfers for an entire year.

Ok just a Question so don't flame me to bad. But, how do you guys think they can out produce/sell Destroyers Teebirds, Leopards, Aviars,Wizards,Challengers,Buzzz' etc?

what could u possibly do with three bag setups

Ok just a Question so don't flame me to bad. But, how do you guys think they can out produce/sell Destroyers Teebirds, Leopards, Aviars,Wizards,Challengers,Buzzz' etc?

I don't think that's their goal. However, if the molds are good, I could see them selling more than Innova so long as their production is consistent.

They can't. Not to start, anyways. Ask the same question in 5 years and we'll see where they stand. Time was, Converse was THE basketball shoe. Time dictates change. It's just the nature of business. Nothing stays forever. It will depend on the discs, but more importantly it will depend on the company.

man, I love DG, but I can think of a hundred things I'd do with a grand before spending that much on plastic. But hey, each to their own.

funny, I thought last time he posted he was so great he was winning thousands in plastic so he did not need to buy plastic.

I don't think that's their goal. However, if the molds are good, I could see them selling more than Innova so long as their production is consistent.

Why wouldn't they try to produce molds like teebirds and leopards? I love butter on my bread. I do however understand what your saying abt being consistent.

you are right they can not, but they can try to outsell the anode, sword, bolt.
They have enough name power to sell discs, they do not have to take over Innova in their first year.

you are right they can not, but they can try to outsell the anode, sword, bolt.
They have enough name power to sell discs, they do not have to take over Innova in their first year.

Fair enough. But will the name power sell enough for everyone involved? Its all up in the air I suppose.

what could u possibly do with three bag setups

one in a bare bones bag that fits in a nook in my trunk, one because I have an extra medium sized bag, and my bag I play rounds with. the one left in my trunk is if I am out and about and feel like throwing a round but regular bag is at home.

Even a few months from now is a very short time in the disc golf world. Basically unprecented amount of models all at once. I'm curious how limited the releases will be. giving retailers a small number of 5+ models that might not be quickly restock able isn't appealing

As a retailer, it's my opinion that there are too many new companies and new discs coming out right now. I'd like to see more focus on quality and consistency, maybe actually discontinuing older less popular discs as the new ones come out. I can't keep up with all the new stuff, can't afford to get and stock all of it, and have barely anywhere left to display it.

funny, I thought last time he posted he was so great he was winning thousands in plastic so he did not need to buy plastic.

last time I checked you were still doing this. keep up the good work. you might be able to push someone off the site but it won't be me.

Unless Prodigy has some new fangled precision disc molding technique, I can't see their consistency being any better than the established companies. Its just one of those things that comes with the territory.

I don't think Innova and Discraft are any sloppier than anyone else. We just notice their inconsistencies more because they move so much more product than the smaller companies do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts