• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a retailer, it's my opinion that there are too many new companies and new discs coming out right now. I'd like to see more focus on quality and consistency, maybe actually discontinuing older less popular discs as the new ones come out. I can't keep up with all the new stuff, can't afford to get and stock all of it, and have barely anywhere left to display it.

Yep, DN luckily moves enough plastic that it works but it's a gamble knowing if a new company will boom. MVP sells amazingly well and they keep a minimalist lineup. Legacy has 6-7 models in like 5 types of plastic. That's a lot to ask any one, especially small retailers to stock. I'm sure it will be successful but eventually we will start seeing other small manufactures suffer if retails have to choose who is the best value

Why wouldn't they try to produce molds like teebirds and leopards? I love butter on my bread. I do however understand what your saying abt being consistent.

I just don't see Prodigy as being a copycat company. Obviously they are going to produce enough molds to cover any shot necessary, but I don't think they're going to make a press release which says something to the effect of "Our new FD1 flies just like a Teebird, but better!"

kinda but totally unrelated, Will just shared a pic of Cat on FB that she hit a $200 ace today with a prodigy disc. Good way to start out a new year.

Unless Prodigy has some new fangled precision disc molding technique, I can't see their consistency being any better than the established companies. Its just one of those things that comes with the territory.

I don't think Innova and Discraft are any sloppier than anyone else. We just notice their inconsistencies more because they move so much more product than the smaller companies do.

:clap: Agree. Well, at least the haters will have a new company to bag on :D

Prodigy looks like they are after the top end of the market, not the casual player.

Between Innova, Discraft, Gateway, Legacy, MVP, Vibram, and Latitude there are enough disc variations for virtually every player. What is going to get players to purchase Prodigy discs long term? A rising company needs something that sets its discs apart from all the competitors. MVP's magic bullet is its gyro technology. Vibram's magic bullet is its rubber. Latitude's magic bullet is it's beautiful, durable plastic and glide. What is Prodigy's magic bullet?

The molds aren't going to do it because they will likely be very similar to existing models. As someone else pointed out, they are going to need Destroyer/Nuke, Teebird/XL, Firebirds/Predators, Buzz/Roc, etc equivalents that the pros are accustom to. With the volume of molds from Innova alone is there really much room for a truly unique mold?

From what I can see from posts on here, their magic bullet seems to be their plastic. If it is ultra-grippy, indestructible, CE-like, perhaps that will make some avid player switch to some Prodigy alternatives. This method could appeal to the avid players. Rec players probably aren't in their radar right now; they don't have the distribution networks or price point to appeal to that.

"they don't have the distribution networks or price point to appeal to that."

care to share the details on this?

Maybe a disc manufacturer will try to compete in the disc making market by offering a comparable product for a lower price? As it is now, it's awfully strange how each company seems to price plastic so similarly. Perhaps it's similar costs of production? Or perhaps it's tacit collusion? The company that provides a comparable product for a lower price will get my business. Sorry for the thread drift.

Maybe a disc manufacturer will try to compete in the disc making market by offering a comparable product for a lower price? As it is now, it's awfully strange how each company seems to price plastic so similarly. Perhaps it's similar costs of production? Or perhaps it's tacit collusion? The company that provides a comparable product for a lower price will get my business. Sorry for the thread drift.

$$$$ That's what it comes done too. And I agree, I want to see how much they want to charge for these.

The naming is terrible and completely un-original and stolen from Lightning discs. I hope the plastic is good and that the discs are decent but being "REVOLUTIONARY" like Koling said. I think not.

"they don't have the distribution networks or price point to appeal to that."

care to share the details on this?

Sure. Rec players want to drop by the local sporting goods store and pickup a new disc on the way to the course. Innova and Discraft are in your average sporting goods store. PIAS is an exception. Traditionally, the more units (of anything) created, the cheaper the unit. If Prodigy is doing short runs, I would expect the prices to be higher. Rec players may not be as invested in the sport to drop a larger amount on a disc. If getting a team of top players is their "magic bullet", does that work on Rec players who don't know who they are? Maybe, I dunno. I wouldn't buy a disc because Will uses it. Just my thoughts.

I don't have time to read all the posts in the thread. How is Prodigy going to pay 11 sponsored players $10,000 each, and they haven't sold a single disc yet? Who else is backing them? Between start-up costs, production, materials, payroll, marketing, the 10K to each player...etc...they must already be a few hundred thousand in the hole.

So who is the one with the deep pockets?

Damn those evil rich people that many disc golfers seem to despise.

And I know you and I disagree on the "future" of DG. I won't begrudge you that. I still believe more mainstream exposure will be what creates more new players. Increasing the pro tour is just the first necessary step to gaining that exposure. You see that with a contract to get 4 events on TV this upcoming season. Will it end up being ESPN 8 "The Ocho"? Maybe. Time will tell.

Plus in a later post, you do point to Prodigy being involved with Nikko's project in bringing DG out there to the masses. So hopefully they can have an impact in both regards.

First of all, thank you. I love reading the stuff you write, because you are intelligent and respectful. I know we don't see things the same way on where the sport should go, but the discussions are always positive, and that is tough to find on here.

And I guess I should clarify my position. I think youth and recreation are larger pieces of the overall growth puzzle. I agree that mainstream exposure of the pro side is also going to make the sport grow, I just see it as secondary to growing it at lower levels. However, I respect your position and the way you present it, because you're realistic and friendly about it. :hfive: for positive Internet dialogue!

Sure. Rec players want to drop by the local sporting goods store and pickup a new disc on the way to the course. Innova and Discraft are in your average sporting goods store. PIAS is an exception. Traditionally, the more units (of anything) created, the cheaper the unit. If Prodigy is doing short runs, I would expect the prices to be higher. Rec players may not be as invested in the sport to drop a larger amount on a disc. If getting a team of top players is their "magic bullet", does that work on Rec players who don't know who they are? Maybe, I dunno. I wouldn't buy a disc because Will uses it. Just my thoughts.

Seconded. When I first went to buy discs, I walked into Big 5, grabbed something that looked cool, and went to throw. Yes, I discovered DGCR, but still bought plenty in the big box stores before moving to online retailers for other discs. Those who don't become crazy invested in the sport are finding discs at the easiest place possible, and they don't generally know any of the top names.

I'd bet you most anything that 99% of people that play disc golf don't know who anybody you just named are.

I learned about Nikko very early on.
noobs will learn who these people are as they begin winning with these discs, then they will want those discs.

I learned about Nikko very early on.
noobs will learn who these people are as they begin winning with these discs, then they will want those discs.

Only people who take on DG as a personal hobby, most just buy whatever looks cool. I played for 3 years before I ever followed disc golf. So really, getting people "into" following dg is the key. Thats why I think the supposed 4 events on TV will do more for the sport than a new company full of pros.

Only people who take on DG as a personal hobby, most just buy whatever looks cool. I played for 3 years before I ever followed disc golf. So really, getting people "into" following dg is the key. Thats why I think the supposed 4 events on TV will do more for the sport than a new company full of pros.

Have you watched any of the other events this company covered? They weren't very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts