• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at this scenario, they produce 4 discs molds, all of them are issued immediatly to your retailers in quantities of 1500, then what if it isnt approved.....that would make everything they had done look pretty dumb wouldnt it. Bottom line they are playing on threads just like this one to build up desire and demand. This way they can then quantitate the amount of supply to produce.

It doesn't quite work that way. These companies don't invest thousands of dollars into a mold that isn't going to meet specification. You can be assured that if the intent of a company is to sell a disc that will be approved for competition play, the dimensions will meet spec. before a cutter even touches that cavity plate. Sure, cooling and material shrinkage may cause the final dimensions to deviate, but not so much that it is out of specfication. Making that large of an error would make you look "dumb".

however it does not specify the timetable in which these discs must be released, loophole

Since they were approved, I imagine they met that criteria. Without a retailer network, where are they going to ship them?

If you guys are so concerned about yet another magical number (the last one being $10,000/year), you should be pointing the finger where it belongs...at the PDGA for approving them prematurely.

All this bickering over things that are inconsequential to everyone but the owners of the company is hysterical. You'll get your discs soon enough.

I'll agree with both of you, I was just providing what the PDGA regulations state. I just hope that when I submit my discs for acceptance testing, they don't pull the "where's the 500 production discs?" card. I guess what I'm saying is that I hope it's a level playing field for all manufacturers, not just ones that have some of the top talent in the game on their side.

From Hype to Disaster: Segway's Timeline

British police said Monday that the owner of the company that makes the Segway was found dead after falling off a cliff…on a Segway. It's a gruesome chapter in the history of an invention that was supposed to revolutionize the way we get around but that ended up going nowhere. Below, a look back at the key events for the Segway:

2001: Incredible hype builds around a device known as "IT" and "Ginger" that is being built by inventor Dean Kamen. There's talk among tech insiders that it could be bigger than the PC. Kamen says it "will be to the car what the car was to the horse and buggy."

http://allthingsd.com/20100927/from-hype-to-disaster-segways-timeline/

however it does not specify the timetable in which these discs must be released, loophole

It kinda hints at it.

It says have 500 to be available commercially at time of approval. So they either have them and haven't made them available or they don't have them.

They have no retailers to distribute them. Should they set up a stand on the side of the road?

They aren't the first company to have a mold approved and then not deliver it immediately.

Since they were approved, I imagine they met that criteria. Without a retailer network, where are they going to ship them?

If you guys are so concerned about yet another magical number (the last one being $10,000/year), you should be pointing the finger where it belongs...at the PDGA for approving them prematurely.

All this bickering over things that are inconsequential to everyone but the owners of the company is hysterical. You'll get your discs soon enough.

Journey Post could have been their retailer. They are sponsoring some of their pros.

I knew it!!! very sneaky Dr. Jones...

Nah. I'm not associated with Prodigy. I have had the privilege of meeting a couple of the people involved and they are all not only smart businessmen, but seriously great people. Doesn't hurt that we share a common love of disc golf, either.

Journey Post could have been their retailer. They are sponsoring some of their pros.

Hey JP, want to sell our discs?
Sure.
Here you go.

I imagine it's a little more complicated than that. I'm sure Disc Nation would love to get their hands on them too. Hell, I'm sure every retailer is licking their lips to be "the first" to have them.

What we need to do is get Connor to become the Lion of Prodigy so we can get these in our hands BEFORE they hit stores. Ahem, paging Dr. Jones...

My understanding is that 500 commercially available is required for use in sanctioned play. The mold is approved based on its specs, but a disc from that mold would be illegal for sanctioned use if say, the other 499 are locked in a vault. And I recall a rule for Majors (is that NT + A?) that 30 days must have passed since approval. The spirit of the rule is that all competitors have access to the same equipment, and not exclusive gear.

Gist:
You can't make a Devilhawk and allow nobody but Team Devilhawk to own and throw them in competition.
You don't have to sell 500 Devilhawks to get one approved.

My understanding is that 500 commercially available is required for use in sanctioned play. The mold is approved based on its specs, but a disc from that mold would be illegal for sanctioned use if say, the other 499 are locked in a vault. And I recall a rule for Majors (is that NT + A?) that 30 days must have passed since approval. The spirit of the rule is that all competitors have access to the same equipment, and not exclusive gear.

Gist:
You can't make a Devilhawk and allow nobody but Team Devilhawk to own and throw them in competition.
You don't have to sell 500 Devilhawks to get one approved.

Thank you for the logical explanation. :clap:

With this line of thinking, they will have to have their discs to market no later than January 27th for them to be eligible for use at The Memorial, correct?

Last edited:
Hey JP, want to sell our discs?
Sure.
Here you go.

I imagine it's a little more complicated than that. I'm sure Disc Nation would love to get their hands on them too. Hell, I'm sure every retailer is licking their lips to be "the first" to have them.

What we need to do is get Connor to become the Lion of Prodigy so we can get these in our hands BEFORE they hit stores. Ahem, paging Dr. Jones...

That would be cool, wouldn't it.:thmbup:

We will carry them when they're available, however we haven't been told about any sort of preferential treatment or pre-pre-release goodies.

as far as sponsorship goes, prodigy appears to be doing things different in that the players are getting equity or a percentage of sales or whatever undisclosed terms exist. i know discspeed had a thread a while back asking if people would pay premium prices (20-25 apiece i want to think) for "professional" runs, in which the focus was on consistency in flight characteristics.

for the plastic to be as nice as what people are saying (those who have felt it in person and not just commenting on online pics), do you think they are maybe going after something along those lines? more limited stock restrictions with better quality control, aka a pro caliber product? for a company who is going to take dg in a different direction it might make sense...create a demand for your product based on its limited availability. maybe even some sort of fixed price system with retailers similar to what apple and bose do.

for the company to have founders with a long dg track record and as many connections as people are saying, i'm sure they understand the demand for the good old innova and discraft (to a lesser extent) classics. why not focus on creating a product as good as what people are paying top dollar for now, and charge more than your typical $15 a disc?

so the D is for Devilhawk? they made 4 Devilhawks!?!?!?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.