• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds more like they've given some discs to people/let some people throw them more than having another company molding and "leaking" their discs. Some of the comments from some of the members seem to fit with that (all those "I know, but I'm not telling folks).

Exactly what has happened. I held these discs a long time ago, maybe a year ago. Lavonne has been molding and testing a long time now.

I am looking at this from a strict business point of view and as a business owner with well over 20 years under the belt. All I see is overhead at this point, with yet a single disc being sold (that I know of). R&D takes lots of money as does start up, marketing etc. Traditionally, huge start-ups, crash in a big way. Slow ramp-ups are not only prudent, they work. I will readily admit, I don't know the whole situation with them....but it appears they have jumped head first into the pool without filling it completely first...from a pure business perspective, completely free of excitement or emotion.

Look at DD. They had an organization set up already. They already has the mechanism established to support the team and eventually, their own discs. Prodigy, at first glance, has none of these factors at all...and admittedly, this is "first glance". Personally, I hope they can pull it off. I like it when people take control of their own destiny and chart their own course as I have. But as someone that has been there, their course so far is troubling.

This is true. And traditionally, companies like DD and MVP have to start small, build revenue, expand, build revenue, etc. The only time that formula changes is when a large start-up capital has already been raised. Or someone is just plain rich and frivilous.

They have an extensive team with a "vested" interest. These are also some of the best paid players on tour. Prodigy has supposedly been in the shadows for "a few years" getting ready. It's not unfathomable that these players, owners, and partners have been investing money for years to create an instantly explosive company.

Obviously that comes with it's own share of risks. If the move is a flop, then all that money goes bye-bye. But if it's a success, and it truly does change the face of the game, and the tour....well, who knows what major changes could be on the horizon. But, as much as we all love our trendy DG companies like MVP, Vibram and Latitude, it's painfully obvious they are not changing the scope of the DG landscape. Latitude is starting to kick into a new gear here in the US, and Vibram is pushing harder every year for higher payouts and a grander tour.

If Prodigy does manage to create an instant footprint...well...interesting times, my friends. Interesting times.

I am not hating at all. I hope this group does change disc golf for the better. I guess i was expecting more from the hype than to just announce that they will release 4 high speed drivers that I will probably not even use and a team. I hope they do it right and get this sport to the next level. Maybe we will see more in the near future.

I guess I just want to give the players the benefit of the doubt......there's more that, for whatever reason, they aren't talking about....some grand strategy that they are confident will work wonders.i am amazed that they did not immediately put out vid of these guns throwing this stuff.....that would have been the first thing I put up!

Some guy on Lavonne's FB said he'd found one of the clear purple champion looking discs on a hole at Flyboy. I'm assuming that's what is meant by 'leaked'. I'm sure testers have been in the mix for a while now, so it's not strange that a few of them would be lost and found by non-Prodigy members.

They may very well have an instant success story going into motion. May make liars out of everyone. Time will tell and history will judge. Who knows....they have stumbled onto a whole new formula that all start up disc companies will follow.

I would like to see this plastic some day.

Some guy on Lavonne's FB said he'd found one of the clear purple champion looking discs on a hole at Flyboy. I'm assuming that's what is meant by 'leaked'. I'm sure testers have been in the mix for a while now, so it's not strange that a few of them would be lost and found by non-Prodigy members.
hmmm

Last edited:
They may very well have an instant success story going into motion. May make liars out of everyone. Time will tell and history will judge. Who knows....they have stumbled onto a whole new formula that all start up disc companies will follow.

I would like to see this plastic some day.

whole new formula indeed. By mid-spring, this company will be the 3rd biggest DG power in the United States. They have the line, the players, and obviously the drive. All that's left to find out is if they have the quality and the foresight.

I'm expecting great tour incentives for their players, which will in turn pressure Innova and Discraft to keep their players happy or risk dwindling further. Which will put more money into the tour season.

whole new formula indeed. By mid-spring, this company will be the 3rd biggest DG power in the United States. They have the line, the players, and obviously the drive. All that's left to find out is if they have the quality and the foresight.

I'm expecting great tour incentives for their players, which will in turn pressure Innova and Discraft to keep their players happy or risk dwindling further. Which will put more money into the tour season.
so you think some pros are taking a wait-and-see approach?
I think Discraft lost more than innova IMO.

Power in terms of number of discs for a U.S. manufacturer, yes. But I think Latitude may have more sales in the U.S., even if they are not based here. Just guessing.

As far as Innova and Discraft having to keep their players happy or failing, I really don't think this is going to be the case. The average new disc golfer who doesn't live on DGCR (like we do :D) will keep those companies afloat. If Prodigy comes into every big box retailer with base plastic at a good price, then Innova and Discraft will worry.

Count me as a believer that the pro game isn't what is going to make this sport keep growing. Instead, it is going to be putting more resources into schools and other places where young kids can play. Without having to spend resources on as many pros, I say this actually leaves Innova and Discraft in a better position to grow the youth market than they were before.

I am not saying Prodigy isn't going to succeed or help the pro game. But Innova and Discraft have been at this awhile and know their market. Yes, these pros left them, but I think if the two big companies thought they were totally necessary to success they would have fought to keep them on. Just my two cents.

Is anyone a little peeved at the name? Prodigy Disc sounds awkward. Wouldn't it feel better as Prodigy Discs, Prodigy Disc Golf, Prodigy Disc Sports, etc?

I think its pretty obvious. The hype will sell discs. Limited availability...people will want to scoop them up.

Count me as a believer that the pro game isn't what is going to make this sport keep growing. Instead, it is going to be putting more resources into schools and other places where young kids can play. Without having to spend resources on as many pros, I say this actually leaves Innova and Discraft in a better position to grow the youth market than they were before.

http://nldg.net/launch-prodigy-disc/
THE DISC GOLF EXPANSION PROJECT is a progressive opportunity to bring people together towards a common goal in Growing Disc Golf around the World.

> Giving Disc Golf baskets (Arroyo) and discs away to schools -Zinc coated 2/3 tone baskets with School Colors

> Disc provided through Prodigy stamped with school Logo

How do we fund this project?

Eye Heart Disc Golf Foundation is a Non Profit 501c3 Section of the Disc Golf Expansion
this design helps people get active in their communities if they would like to get disc golf into the schools in their specific Region this is the chance to get pro active.
That seems to be the plan and what they mean by growing the sport. plus add in the talk that DG will have 4 tournaments on the TV this year!!!! Great Stuff coming!

Is anyone a little peeved at the name? Prodigy Disc sounds awkward. Wouldn't it feel better as Prodigy Discs, Prodigy Disc Golf, Prodigy Disc Sports, etc?

Pro...D...G....what's wrong with that?
I like the name. Plus with all the young guns....kinda goes together. not a fan of the logo but I could care less about that.

I made the same statement earlier in another thread, but I completely agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts