• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Puckin futters

I say go try a Magnet, they come in 3 plastic now Hard Pro D, Soft Pro D, Now Jawbraker. I used a Old hard D still in the bag and now Two jawbreakers one labeled Approach putter and then Putter with the stamp ring Drawn up in Sharpie like the Pro D models. I need the ring to help thumb placement. If you find a Hard Pro D Magnet is not stiff enough, try the Clutch models as they have one that is almost like a Old Hard Pro D model Magnet.

Magnet is not for everybody, rim is different. If you want a less pronounced Magnet Rim the R-Pro Hydra is the disc.

The only other question I really have is: can anyone tell me the difference in fade between the Dagger and the Challenger ?? It's kind of hard never having had a dagger in my hand yet and I'm liking the Challenger but in those longer putts I think I'd like a slightly (seriously, slightly) more neutral flight. Just as a putter I find it hard to pinpoint that adjustment in a 25'r and a 30'r.

Just get a Challenger in a straighter plastic. CT and Cryztal FLX are the straightest and floaty compared to D, Jawbreaker, and Soft X.

Just get a Challenger in a straighter plastic. CT and Cryztal FLX are the straightest and floaty compared to D, Jawbreaker, and Soft X.

Been putting with a soft x, I can't seem to find it, is it special like cryztal?? I have a crystal Challenger and I love to throw it but I do not like putting with it, I've thought about pro-d as I'm looking for a more rigid feel, I'm finding the extreme tackiness of soft x is not something I like any longer. The Challenger also just fades too hard for me. Can't stand the magnet and I'm honestly thinking about building an all trilogy bag this season kinda why I'm so hard on the dagger's nuts right now

Been putting with a soft x, I can't seem to find it, is it special like cryztal?? I have a crystal Challenger and I love to throw it but I do not like putting with it, I've thought about pro-d as I'm looking for a more rigid feel, I'm finding the extreme tackiness of soft x is not something I like any longer. The Challenger also just fades too hard for me. Can't stand the magnet and I'm honestly thinking about building an all trilogy bag this season kinda why I'm so hard on the dagger's nuts right now

don't. Unless someone is paying you, limiting your disc options is foolish....this is for any company, not just trilogy.

don't. Unless someone is paying you, limiting your disc options is foolish....this is for any company, not just trilogy.

Point well taken and I've considered this, I plan to keep some Discraft also but I want to be as familiar as possible with my plastic, as far as the mold and the plastic types. I'm not being paid DD and Discraft are just my two favorites and I'm sure between them I can build a bag that will serve my needs.

Point well taken and I've considered this, I plan to keep some Discraft also but I want to be as familiar as possible with my plastic, as far as the mold and the plastic types. I'm not being paid DD and Discraft are just my two favorites and I'm sure between them I can build a bag that will serve my needs.

I use Discraft and Innova as my bag with one Lightning Putter simply due to the fact that in the 2000's they were the only 3 big brands available till 2006 when Latitude 64 came out.

I use Discraft and Innova as my bag with one Lightning Putter simply due to the fact that in the 2000's they were the only 3 big brands available till 2006 when Latitude 64 came out.

Makes sense. Like I said though, for me it's just about being able to know my plastic. And I like Discraft and trilogy plastic the best.

I didn't think I'd bag a wizard, I had an x-out S that was in with my practice putters. It just kept beating out everything else I had.
The great thing about all the gateway plastic is that you can find exactly what you want. Just get In touch with a rep and describe what you like, they will help you out and it's easy to get a whole stack.
I have 4 different stiffnesses and bag 3 of them for different shots/situations.

I'm still leaning toward a wizard, my girl has one so i hold it all the time and I've been playing around with it. It's an sss and I like the feel of it but would want something more rigid (although for super stupid soft, it's actually pretty firm) I didn't know until this thread that I could easily contact gateway and they'd hunt me down a stack of lovely putters for not a lot of dough so that may still be the way I go. Thanks.

I'm still leaning toward a wizard, my girl has one so i hold it all the time and I've been playing around with it. It's an sss and I like the feel of it but would want something more rigid (although for super stupid soft, it's actually pretty firm) I didn't know until this thread that I could easily contact gateway and they'd hunt me down a stack of lovely putters for not a lot of dough so that may still be the way I go. Thanks.

get an eraser or fossil for regidity...unless you can find a mythical medium...I have a voodoo in medium...awesome plastic...too bad its no more

So I thought maybe I'd change the pace here a bit. I've been throwing my putters a lot lately and this is mostly field work in my yard as it's snow covered where I am in my little town. Any way I've been experimenting with my grips. What grip/grips do you use for what type of throws with your putters??

So I thought maybe I'd change the pace here a bit. I've been throwing my putters a lot lately and this is mostly field work in my yard as it's snow covered where I am in my little town. Any way I've been experimenting with my grips. What grip/grips do you use for what type of throws with your putters??

I use an offshoot of the fan grip. I call it the "Sarah Hokom" grip because I got the idea when I saw her using it in a video. It's like the fan grip, but the fourth and fifth fingers (and maybe the middle finger) are closer to the rim than the normally splayed-out fan grip.

As a side note, most people use the fan grip, but some, like Paul McBeth, use the same power grip he uses with all his other throws. Just experiment and see what works best for you.

Fan grip for short approaches. Regular grip for longer putter tosses (3-finger power grip for me, but that's just because I have a mangled pinky finger).

When I first started driving putters and beaded mids I found that a fork grip gave a cleaner release.

For 90% of all putter drives and throws, I use either a fork grip or a what I call a 'sabre' grip, which is a fork grip with the thumb very forward in the grip. Very much the same way a sabre is held.
I choose the fork or sabre grip on what putter I am throwing, not on the throw itself. Slim line putters get the fork, deep dish putters get the sabre.
I feel the fork grip, or a varient, is the best blend of power and control.

If it is a short upshot, I may use a birdy grip or a stacked fan. These I use to take power off the throw without having much change to my reachback.

Last edited:
For 90% of all putter drives and throws, I use either a fork grip or a what I call a 'sabre' grip, which is a fork grip with the thumb very forward in the grip. Very much the same way a sabre is held.
I choose the fork or sabre grip on what putter I am throwing, not on the throw itself. Slim line putters get the fork, deep dish putters get the sabre.
I feel the fork grip, or a varient, is the best blend of power and control.

If it is a short upshot, I may use a birdy grip or a stacked fan. These I use to take power off the throw without having much change to my reachback.

Could you elaborate please, on the fork grip and Birdy grip.
Thanks.

If I use a power grip my putters just turn over, for my drives I've been using a pinch-power grip. Fan and a fan variance (last two fingers tucked) for up shots and jump putt approach shots.

Going to have to give the Jawbreaker Roach a shoutout !
If you like a fatty, that'll rattle your basket.

Latest posts