• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push putting inconsistency

you have way too many moving components! your wrist completely opens up and your elbow pops out at the end of your release. Keep your arm moving upward rather than tailing off to the right after your release. That is why you miss to the right!

I point at the basket at the beginning of both. First one should be ready, second one will be a little bit, but is only a slightly different angle.

I have a rear-view with the basket in the picture. I take requests, also; just let me know where the camera should be.

you have way too many moving components! your wrist completely opens up and your elbow pops out at the end of your release. Keep your arm moving upward rather than tailing off to the right after your release. That is why you miss to the right!

Any suggestions on solving this more consistent than putting funky footed and yanking my off shoulder rear-wards?

much much better on the last 2 vids. arm is staying straight with slight elbow bend and wrist is not opening out as near as much.

I notice that if I miss right, my middle finger is pointed to the right of the pin...If I add a slight hyzer and stay on line with my arm then I tend to hit center.

Straddle putting, You might try bending down more, getting your butt out in the air like a rap video, then getting your weight more forward into your release. Almost to the point you would lose balance and fall forward. You need to get up on Your toes to help propel the disc out towards the target.

Staggered putting, again get up on them toes, flat footed putting is lazy putting. You are giving up all that power from your legs and just tossing the disc. Also lean back a little and rock more into the putt, allowing the weight transfer to give you the extra power needed to keep it on a straight line.

Follow through You seem to like to go up, release, stop, and right back down. Go up, release, continue up and forward as the putt is on the way. It would be the same as following through on your drive, you are losing power.

A few minor changes I made today seem to have helped. I added some pressure to my middle finger on the flight plate, and that's helping the nose down problem. Keeping my off-shoulder back seems to have helped a lot of things. I'm getting better extension through the target, and I have very little urge to open my wrist and arm too far, which I think were the cause of a lot of misses right.

Ive found one of the things that have helped me with my putts is lifting my right leg straight back in my throw. It really straightens out my stroke when I reach for the basket.

I just started trying to push putt in the last week. I started with a scissor stance, and I felt off balance, so I moved to a slightly wider then shoulder length apart stance. I don't understand the whole concept behind "it ejects off your palm"! In watching Nikko's style he stands kind of like I described he bends at the knees and he swings his arm like a pendulum so to speak. The force comes from the swing and not the palm. I haven't watched many of his videos so I can't speak for how he does it at all distances, nor have I seen it in person, and my post is based on my opinion of what I see, and how it feels when I do it.

I just started trying to push putt in the last week. I started with a scissor stance, and I felt off balance, so I moved to a slightly wider then shoulder length apart stance. I don't understand the whole concept behind "it ejects off your palm"! In watching Nikko's style he stands kind of like I described he bends at the knees and he swings his arm like a pendulum so to speak. The force comes from the swing and not the palm. I haven't watched many of his videos so I can't speak for how he does it at all distances, nor have I seen it in person, and my post is based on my opinion of what I see, and how it feels when I do it.

Ejecting from the palm... Having the disc pressed against the palm allows on the energy of you body motion to be transferred into the disc. Think of it in terms of swinging a baseball bat, if you have a loose grip the ball will just bounce off the bat and not go very far. If you have a tight grip then all the power from your body will be transferred into the bat and the ball will rocket off of it.

Hello and cheers from Finland :)

I saw David Feldbergs push put video in vimeo like many other guys here and I really like the idea of it. Like Dave mentions in the video, nobody will be able to succeed instantly and it requires a lot of practise to master the put so I try to remain calm even i have hit a little slump atm.

I have been practising it for 1-2 weeks now and I have one big problem with it. I can not get the nose up and ' see the stamp'. I think david mentions in the video that the the disc should go up when it is a push, a push with my shoulder. My disc rarely wobbles at my throws current state but if I try to force the angle it either wobbles or just simply goes nose down.

I have adopted some points from Nikko also like concentrating on the reach to the basket. Do you guys think my problem is all about the grip or can it be caused because of some other fundamentals im missing? My grip is my own modification of Daves instructions. My index finger is on top of my pinkie and they pretty much press the disc like Dave told to. The front fingers dont hold the disc very tight. Really frustrating and interesting at the same time how little details affect so much.

Thanks in advance

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! I've done 17 half hour putting sessions and I'm just now finding the putting style that fits best for me. Once it started coming together, that was when the confidence started building.

I'm a firm believer in the "whatever works" theory. So, for me, if forcing yourself into one style vs. the other isn't really working, the number one "rule" is whatever feels best....

When I miss putts right, it's usually because I don't get my shoulders turned/lined up enough to the pole. I find I have to really exaggerate this in straddle putts.

The other mistake I seem to make most often is not getting my lower body involved enough, like late in rounds when I start to get fatigued. I'll speed up my motion, and it blows the timing and I get nose-down, less "pop" out of the hand, and miss short. I can feel it the second I release. I can't see your vids at work, but I'm guessing that switching from a spin to push style, the lower body becomes more critical to get the consistent speed going.

Cam Todd's advice of going from bent knees to straight (low to high with the lower body,) and from balanced on both feet to balanced on front foot, usually is enough for me to get the "power" behind the putt.

Just spitballing here, but the other thing that's different between the styles is, the longer the putt, the higher my hand has to be on release. Outside of say 25 ft, especially, I make sure my pre-putt routine has me exaggerating a higher release point. This, plus the lower body bit, are what lead to most of my putts that ding off the cage.

Last edited:
Woodstock: Are you left-handed?

Stemplejg: Look at the short-arm putt I posted (the beto vid). I think that's the easiest style to feel the disc ejecting off the palm.

Dabolte: You and me both! I changed my grip a little and it seemed to help a little (not fix the problem.) I added pressure to my middle finger and moved my thumb closer to my middle finger than pointer finger. Not sure if it helped because it's the right thing to do, but it helped.

Araytx: I'm not really sure what my hand is supposed to do during a push-putt. Can you help me out? Cam "pops" it. Which would be great if "pop" were a noun.

Toro: I'm spin/turbo putt dominant, but listening to feldy and others, I feel like I need to develop a push putt as a secondary or inside the circle putt.

I see a lot of people swing their rear side. Can someone explain why? And also, how this doesn't bring the disc off the line?

With the what to do with your hand question, it's pretty subtle, in my experience.

Basically, I use a very wide, loose fan grip, and basically when I release, I just open my hand, as if shaking hands with the pole.

Climo's website had a great point about push putting. His theory is, it's better because the putt doesn't spin as much. He says he makes more "bad putts," ones that his the left side of the chains, because there's less spin.

As a spin putt dominant guy, maybe you're trying to get more spin than you need on "push putts," which likely means more wrist action, which would lead to left/right misses...?

I really want to switch from just sticking my arm straight out to a down and up motion, so I can do the "Line up with the Pole" thing and hopefully miss less left to right. The trick for me is figuring out where the power comes from then. I am playing with elbow extension and finger spring, but I think I'll still need a bit of wrist until I really master this.

In conjunction, I'm going to use the Mark Ellis method of putting practice to help learn this new technique and gain confidence in it.

Push putting doesnt have to be with a straight elbow. Alot of pro's putt like that but many bend their elbow also. There is a video of Cam Todd where he talks about T-Rex arms, good example of a bent arm push putt style.

My take on it is bending the elbow makes it a little easier to get the right speed, especially with the 30-40ft range. More moving parts is very true and i think its a little more difficult to follow through just right when you bend your elbow. So its a little easier to get the right speed and a little harder to get the right hieght when you bend your elbow.

I push putt a bit when I'm close and then I'm pure spin/spush when I get out a bit further. This is my advice and it's so simple.

It all comes down to your footing. take you lead foot and put it in the 11 oclock or 10 oclock angle. Next act like you are shaking hands with the pole. Just a simple up and down motion,when you feel you have it dialed right in the center move your back foot to where you get a comfortable release.

In my opinion it doesn't matter where your back foot is positioned as long as it's comfortable for your release. Due to the many different surface elevations the back foot will be all over the place. Don't try to keep the back foot in the same position every time.This is what causes those left to right or right to left misses.

If you follow these steps you should only have a height issue once you get used to it. A height issue is much easier to fix than a missing left or right issue.

P.S. Yes I know grip is part of it too,but once you learn this method you can use all sorts of crazy grips and still hit the chains.