• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push putting inconsistency

I read through the thread somewhat fast, so I apologize if the topic has already been discussed, but I didn't see much about grip.

Is one grip pretty common among push putters? Do others mainly grip with pressure between the thumb and middle finger on the flight plate, index finger along the rim/on the bead? That is the way I have always push putted and it's worked. Do some people grip with some fingers curled around the rim?

I read through the thread somewhat fast, so I apologize if the topic has already been discussed, but I didn't see much about grip.

Is one grip pretty common among push putters? Do others mainly grip with pressure between the thumb and middle finger on the flight plate, index finger along the rim/on the bead? That is the way I have always push putted and it's worked. Do some people grip with some fingers curled around the rim?

I don't curl my index, maybe it's my biomechanics, but it tightens my wrist too much, and gets my release all over the place. I actually barely use my index at all, other than stabilizing. This may depend in a large part on how "grippy" your putters are? I get plenty of spin with no index involvement with what I putt with.

I have my index and pinky curled around the rim. My middle finger and ring finger are fanned out. I've tried to fan all my fingers out and get nothing but wobbles. I don't really use my index for grip pressure, more of my thumb and middle/ring finger. I've never had an issue with the disc "catching" on my fingers.

I have the same problems with nose angle. What I suggest is to release the discs earlier. The arm should follow up the pole, but that does not mean your release point should be at the top of the pole. An early release with a softer grip works for me. Don't be "jerky" with your movement. Hold the disc with hyzer and imagine you're lofting a hacky sack into a garbage can. The earlier release should give you less variables, because of the shorter amount of time the disc is on your hand. This should help with nose angle too, as your swing should be on it's way up. If you wait too long to release this takes away the necessary power to get the disc towards the basket. You'll have to practice your power and loft now, but it should fix some of your left to right action. I really suggest visualizing tossing a hacky sack or baseball into a bucket. You'll get the feel of it.

I haven't tried messing with my release angles, but last night I figured out that my grip was way too strong, and I was grip-locking almost every one of them. Less grip pressure is really helping get my disc nose up.

I had problems missing right sometimes with spin putting and with push putting.

With spin putting, I just learned that I needed more hyzer to reduce it.

With push putting, I learned to use more of a swing arm technique, where I don't even use my arm muscles to move my arm. It just swings down and then I bounce my arm off my hip. The muscles in my arm are mostly limp. All I have to do is control the angle of the disc and let go. I also find I can push putt a lot farther with this technique than I ever could trying to use my arm muscles, but there is a lot more arc to the flight path at range than with spin putting.