• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

putter weight

some folks carry lighter one for longer putts, heavier one for wind, etc.

I typically throw around 172-175.

Edit: Oh, reason I throw the heavier ones is because after hearing Climo, at some point, somewhere, say it's like tossing a brick into the basket, I wanted something heavy that I'd feel the weight of, not something I'd have to fly/glide into the chains. This way, it's more about the human's natural ability to hit a target with an object and less about my ability to float a disc into a target :)

black udder said:
Edit: Oh, reason I throw the heavier ones is because after hearing Climo, at some point, somewhere, say it's like tossing a brick into the basket, I wanted something heavy that I'd feel the weight of, not something I'd have to fly/glide into the chains. This way, it's more about the human's natural ability to hit a target with an object and less about my ability to float a disc into a target :)
I've found that throwing lighter putters with a pitch putt doesn't really change the putt to a floaty type putt, it just makes it easier to throw a bit farther. You don't have to glide a 165g Wizard into the chains, it's still like tossing a brick, it's just that you can throw the brick farther.

garublador said:
black udder said:
I've found that throwing lighter putters with a pitch putt doesn't really change the putt to a floaty type putt, it just makes it easier to throw a bit farther. You don't have to glide a 165g Wizard into the chains, it's still like tossing a brick, it's just that you can throw the brick farther.

good to know. Thanks for the feedback on that. Do you carry a heavier one, too? Or just the 165?

I carry a:

168g Medium for putting
165g SS (Glow, actually) for...the heck of it apparently, I never throw it
172g Soft for approaches
175g beat Medium (softer) for driving
175g new Medium for driving

I finally got on the light putter bandwagon (I use 168's for putting), and I don't think I'll ever go back to the heavies. These things just cling to the chains when they hit.

I do carry 2 175's (one new, one run over by a car) for driving though.

There's a delicate balance between light enough to glide great and too light not to get tossed around by the wind.

I LOVE the 150 Reef for insane putts you'd never in a million years think you'd hit, but in the wind it's just a kite.

I tried 160 weights, and found that as they wear in I have to rotate them out more often than I prefer to.

I settled on (oddly enough, especially if you know me) max weight for my putters. I throw APXs though, which glide like they're made of feathers and anti-gravity pellets...Less glidey putters I wouldn't like as much in heavier weights, but mine are good and glidey, controllable, and don't get tossed as far off course by the wind as a lighter one would. Plus, they wear in and stay in the sweet spot for ages! My main putter is so beat up...bent, warped, chipped, scuffed, you name it...Flies like a champ, and I still drive with it unless I need a pretty hefty hyzer out of it, and putts straight at the chains even out to 80 feet or so.

164 SS Wizards for general putting

172 S-Glow Wizards for putting in the wind, driving, and deliberate layup floppers

i carry a 175g dx BBaviar this is for my regular putting
and also 168g kc aviar and this is used for longer jump putts

For a while I carried a 119g Wizard for longer putts. It worked surprisingly well, even in wind, though my confidence was never there while windy.

If you feel like you've got decent putting form, but lack for power, switching to a lighter disc can help you extend the range greatly. The 119g disc would fly 60ft on the same line with the same power as a heavier putter would fly 30ft.

garublador said:
I carry a:

168g Medium for putting
172g Soft for approaches

Holy balls dude, you carry a lot of putters!

I carry a 175 SSS Wiz for putting and a 174 E Wiz for driving. I'm thinking about picking up a 165ish also though.

mzuleger said:
garublador said:
I carry a:

168g Medium for putting
172g Soft for approaches

Holy balls dude, you carry a lot of putters!

I carry a 175 SSS Wiz for putting and a 174 E Wiz for driving. I'm thinking about picking up a 165ish also though.

I find that the further you can throw them, the more you carry. They start to become like drivers/midranges - you carry them in stages of wear or for needs.

I have:
1 172 SSS warlock for putting
1 172 SSS magic for longer putts/approaches
1 174 SSS magic for driving (dead straight drives)
1 175 worn glow wizard for driving (similar to magic but still a touch more overstable)

I also carry a backup of the SSS magic since nothing else works quite as well as that disc for what it does.

I agree. I throw putters off the tee from about <260', so I carry several depending on the course.

I always carry:
175 Organic Voodoo for putting
174 S Warlock newish for straight/slightly overstable shots
174 S Warlock beat to snot for hyzer flipping and turnovers
Sometimes:
175 S Wizard STIFF for windy days and open courses. Drops like a brick.
175 S Voodoo I'm still getting used to the grip on this for driving

I was carrying 4-5 wizards. Now I'm just using 2 VPs until I can beat one in, then I'll add another VP.

As for weight, I just go 170+. I'm not to picky.

SkaBob said:
There's a delicate balance between light enough to glide great and too light not to get tossed around by the wind.
That depends on the mold, too. I don't know anything about the Reef, but I do know that stable, big beaded putters tend to be less dependent on weight when it comes to wind stability. Granted, if you get too light it will become an issue, but with the Wizard I've found that it doesn't become an issue until you're lighter than 165g. If you're using something like a Aviar P&A or APX, then I agree with you. Lighter won't work as well into the wind.

Putting style matters, too. If you're putting flat, then wind matters less, too.

So, flat putting + stable mold + lighter putter = more carry with little wind resistance sacrificed.

Latest posts