• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Confidence Program- Discraft Clinic

anarak82

Birdie Member
If you haven't seen the new Discraft clinic video, check it out on their site. It's pretty intresting. And a decently long video compared to the others. 22min.
Mark Ellis kinda goes on and on in his own public speaking style, but this program is a little different than other putting practice routines. The progam is to putt every day for 30 days, for thirty minutes at fifteen min intervals. The most interesting thing to me was where he wants you to putt from. He wants you to putt from wherever you can make it most of the time, even if it's 5 or 10ft away from the basket. The goal is to learn how to make putts, not miss long ones. Also he says to concentrate and take your time, develop a routine and maybe even a mantra or affirmation.

I think it's intresting, and it actually helps me putt longer without being discouraged, because from 15-20ft out I'm making them over and over. The sound of the chains keeps me going and focused. Before I would set up markers at 10 20 30 and 50ft out and throw 10 from each. Sometimes I would make up rules like I had to hit 100% for 10 and 75% from twenty. But I would just get discourage when a bad putting day followed a great putting day. I don't think I'll be able to do this everyday for 30 days, but I think the concept of just making putts you can make, and slowly moving back will be very helpful to me.

That really works. You need to practice putts within your make range. You need to repeat the good (and easy) putts first, and gain confidence. I moved my practice basket next to a wall, that helped me to gain confidence and took off the fear of bad blow by's. If you miss, you can always hit the next one. But that takes the confidence you need to earn. :) IMO Putting is 80% mental, 20% physical.

Great video. I love the Discraft videos. I think they do a great service to players by doing these clinic videos.

Kewl, didnt know it was up.

It is a good program (Im one of the 10 that took part in the program...can you find my short fat ass in the video .....Im the one holding the challengers when they zoom in on them :lol: )

I havent been able to keep up with my putting latly due to trying to let my elbow heal but I hope to pick it back up once I feel my elbow is 100% again. Storting out doing short putts really does help. as you start to make the short ones move out more and you'll fild that you keep making putts the further and further out you go.

later
gremlin

I have started doing the same program on my own (and inevitably have missed a few days) and am a week or two since starting. (despite the command not to self-evaluate) I saw an almost immediate increase in confidence in making short putts and began hitting long putts consistently. It is an incredible program.

I've been doing this for quite awhile now. A great way to structure practice. For me, putting was difficult to practice, because I never created a repeatable way to putt. Staying in the same spot/ same distance makes practice much more repeatable. This way I can isolate problem areas and just work on those.

I've switched things up a bit. For the first 15-20 minutes (two cigarettes) I putt from 25' out; the same spot each time. Then I usually take a few drinks and sit for a minute. The next 15-20 minute segment I throw anywhere around 20'-50' from different spots around the basket.

It took me awhile to get results the course, but once it started happening, things began to take shape much quicker. Now, I have much more control over how I am throwing the disc. Even have a mental check-list to go over if things are not going well. Breathing helps a ton :)

hmmmm., money scarce, gas price high, maybe time to pull out the discatcher for cheap entertainment?

marmoset said:
gremlin75 said:
Im one of the 10 that took part in the program

How is your putting now compared to before the clinic? Are you still using the Challengers?

My putting before the clinic was questionable at best (however I was told by several Pro that my form was excellent....however it just did not translate to good putting). Since the clinic I have gotten MUCH better. Im still not a pro putter but I can make a hell of a lot more putts then I used to be able to.

Also I don't fear putting any more. I used to dread putting because I always thought that I would never make any putts. Now when I putt I step up knowing that I can make the putt. However if I do throw a bad putt it wont stick with me the rest of the round. By the time I step up to tee for my next drive the bad putt has been put out of my mind. So clinic(well really the format that the clinic is done in) helped my mental game as well. Honestly I love putting now a days. If Im bored I'll spend a while in my back yard just throwing putts.

The key with the clinic is to start at a distance where you are going to make 100% of your putts. From there slowly move further and further from the basket as the days go on. If you start missing putts move a little closer, where you are making close to 100% again. The clinic really helps build muscle memory to so practice EXACTLY how you're going to putt. A few of the guys in the clinic would practice with the second disc in their off hand. Well once they got to the course they would not have a disc in there off hand and it would mess them up.

And yes I still use challengers. In fact I still use the challengers that I was given for the clinic :D

i watched it, practiced according to it a few times, and was finally able to settle in on a consistent form.

the difference in confidence when i walk up to putts "inside the circle" is really impressive. I pretty much dont miss inside of 15 ft now, which is something i could never say before. 30ftrs are hitting more often as well, but my straddle form starts to feel limiting at that distance..

I think im finally building a solid foundation for putting based on this program. Before my putting was very streaky, i was either hitting virtually everything within 30', or literally NOTHING. I was having an increasing number of rounds where i was hitting nothing for putts, which i did not understand cause i was actually practicing my putting MORE during this time period.

I realized that my practice regimine resulted in a huge improvement in practice putts, but I was actually getting worse at putting when it counted. Bascially i was a master when putting in my backyard, but a terrible putter everywhere else I played. Very frustrating.

I'm now following the discraft putting program fairly closely. Ive reduced my number of practice discs from a stack of 7 wizards to just using one, my main putter of course. I even use a mini, sounds silly, but it helps create that "real-round" feel and i consider it part of my routine. Then just basically tossing my putter somewhere between 15-25' from the basket, marking it, going through my routine, nailing the putt. I still throw the occasional 30-35 footer just to mix it up but most are within my make-range. The key for me has been practicing quality putts, not quantity....treating every putt exactly the same whether its in a round or practice.