• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quest for better form

I feel like I've drilled this a million times and every time I go to throw a 400+ foot shot I can't get my left side to swivel underneath me in the same fashion that it should. From a camera perspective it still looks like I'm teetering from one leg to the other. I don't know if I'm addicted to trying to physically throw the disc with just my arm or what it is.

I'll get the motion down for the camera... everything checks out at the throwing net, then when I get out to the field it looks like I've thrown everything away that I just worked on.

I'm thinking that maybe the "arm pump" move I'm doing is throwing me off as another thing I have to worry about timing.

Sounds like you need to work without x-step if the pump throws you off and worried about timing.

I backtracked a little and watched the Will Schusterick driving video where he does standstills and tried my best to mimic him for a good 30 minutes last field practice. I'll be supplementing standstills until I can work them into my xstep

I just don't see that many players utilizing the arm pump and quite honestly I'm almost to the point where I don't think it does a whole lot for me. Much more difficult than that is to figure out how to get my hips to begin to swivel underneath me and legitimately add power to my swing before my shoulders activate.

Somethings wrong with my plant...

I think when my timing was more correct, I felt sort of relaxed throughout the entire loading phase of the throw, then I sort of finesse my lower body into it. Doesn't really feel like I'm using a lot of "strongman" muscle just a quick athletic movement.

I'll update a new form video soon.

Last edited:
I backtracked a little and watched the Will Schusterick driving video where he does standstills and tried my best to mimic him for a good 30 minutes last field practice. I'll be supplementing standstills until I can work them into my xstep

I just don't see that many players utilizing the arm pump and quite honestly I'm almost to the point where I don't think it does a whole lot for me. Much more difficult than that is to figure out how to get my hips to begin to swivel underneath me and legitimately add power to my swing before my shoulders activate.

Somethings wrong with my plant...

I think when my timing was more correct, I felt sort of relaxed throughout the entire loading phase of the throw, then I sort of finesse my lower body into it. Doesn't really feel like I'm using a lot of "strongman" muscle just a quick athletic movement.

I'll update a new form video soon.
I don't recommend leaning back over rear leg like Will does in his standstill - it's death move to 99% of players trying to learn to throw. It "feels" powerful, but is inefficient and adding unnecessary movement. IMO the pump is not adding movement, quite the opposite everything is moving more together in sync with gravity so there is less variable.

I think the issue with your pump is that you are not letting go/abandoning arm/disc away into the backswing like an axe. You seem to keep your backswing really short and shoulder tight and in your ear instead of swinging back underneath chin.
Some notable players that have big pump:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133733

The issue with your plant is that you are spinning around your leg instead of bracing up on it. Note how far your rear leg goes forward in followthru. Your rear foot also steps very far in xstep ahead of your hips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5cS9u_Y0w&t=4m32s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuvujcEMLxs#t=1m25s

First two clips are from today.

Last clip was from yesterday(I think)

Trying to load the backswing more like an axe. Still trying to get my timing with my plant foot to match backswing better. I THINK I'm making gradual improvements.

I also got sort of frustrated today out on the field. Decided to push for max distance and got this:
6rm2owf.jpg

Not that this will make me claim I throw 500, because I know I'm not there yet, but I know its a possibility if things are in really good conditions.

Last edited:
Keep your head/eyes on your disc and wrist down.
attachment.php

SentimentalHomelyEeve.mp4

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 5.19.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 5.19.30 PM.png
    125.4 KB · Views: 88
Just the amount of hyzer GG has to put on those katanas to get them to go into a full helix is crazy...

Just the amount of hyzer GG has to put on those katanas to get them to go into a full helix is crazy...
I think there was 15-20mph headwind, so it's more extreme than normal.

I think a major flaw that I may have overlooked was in the positioning of my backswing. I've been trying to reach back at a 6'o'clock angle and I have come to believe that, due to the shape of my upper body, it is greatly limiting my range of motion. While playing in a fairly wooded course I started placing my backswing at a slightly wider angle and have noticed some gains in accuracy (especially) and perhaps this will get my timing better as I feel like I can now move the disc forward straight at the target with the help of my butt counter-balancing the motion.

Hopefully I'll figure this whole "timing" thing out so that I can get my hips fully integrated into the throw. Has been very difficult to go from stand-stills and slow x-steps into faster motions. I notice that when I go into it very quickly I seem to let my arms do most of the work and my lower body is having trouble catching up. What stinks is that I seem to be getting a lot of power just from what I can do upper-body wise. Even when I let my plant heel to fully hit the ground before I feel my upper body turn outward, it seems like I really have to focus on my left side in order to get it to "look right" for the camera and even when it looks "right" it doesn't seem to do anything for me in terms of distance.

Anyway even though I havn't noticed any major improvements in distance enabling me to contend at higher levels, I do see small improvements like mid-ranges going closer to 400 now on good rips and fewer mistake-shots, grip-lock shots etc.

I Did get a teebird3 out to 445 earlier today which was nice.

Probably need to trust yourself to really shift forward from behind you/closed shoulder forward and keeping your head/eyes looking back on your disc/swing. You have habit of wanting to open up really fast and not patient enough.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 1.58.21 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 1.58.21 AM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 107
Yup.

So decided to do a little more posting on the form. Field practice today was swell. I know I've gained a little distance, however it's coming in small increments. I've kinda been doing a mix of using an arm pump and not using one, however I seem to get more distance with an arm-pump.

I did some light editting on the video. I just sort of wanted to show what I'm doing to prepare for each throw as well as the throws that don't always look the greatest. Not gonna list distance as there is a very tall net exactly 400feet away from where I'm throwing on the sidewalk that catches everything. It was also very windy.

So by swinging your leg back, you're counter-balancing and helping your brace?

Don't hate me for asking this as I'm sure it's obvious to you, but how does that exactly increase distance?

When you crush the can, do you plant your heel hard into the ground as to initiate a quicker weight shift?

I watched a Simon video and tried to focus on swiveling my butt as my plant foot touches the ground.

Lots of tail wind. Really no improvement in distance other than a feeling of extra control. I'm definitely in the "Desert of dispair" portion of my backhand. Not that it's a bad thing, it just means I gotta be patient and persistent to squeeze out that next hundred feet or so.

Besides... This is an opportunity to sharpen my video editing skills.

Latest posts