• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quest for better form

Today I slowed down a little bit, trying to engage my hips in proper timing with my shoulders.

It's good and bad. Good, I believe, because I think that this may fix a certain aspect of my throw.

Obviously I've still got a lot of work to do in order to incorporate this into a more powerful version. Even while slowed down I'm throwing decent distance.

Still trying to get into the 450-500 range. From the lower 400s.

Backswing and forward swing is short and rushed and body/shoulder is not completing the backswing going into the plant. Need to let go of the shoulder/arm/disc into the backswing like heaving an axe into backswing, you are trying manipulate and rush it back and forth.

I think you are trying to shift your mass instead of pressure/tilt which is why your stride is so long and weight pressure so slow shifting and turning forward into plant instead of shifting from behind.

Backswing and forward swing is short and rushed and body/shoulder is not completing the backswing going into the plant. Need to let go of the shoulder/arm/disc into the backswing like heaving an axe into backswing, you are trying manipulate and rush it back and forth.

I think you are trying to shift your mass instead of pressure/tilt which is why your stride is so long and weight pressure so slow shifting and turning forward into plant instead of shifting from behind.

You're right.

The thing I noticed today was that when I do turn my hips in this manner, it feels weird. Almost like I'm rounding. When I watch the video recording, my body seems to be in better timing.

I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get there, but it's definitely not a motion I discovered naturally.

I'll heed your advice and relax my backswing into more of a pendulum movement (that's what you're recommending right?)

As for shifting my mass, I'll go ahead and watch those videos on pressure.

Thanks again.

Yeah, free wheeling backswing and fluid transition forward through the whole body.

I watched the video on pressure and I believe that I'm going in a better direction as far as that's concerned.

I watched the video on pressure and I believe that I'm going in a better direction as far as that's concerned.

x-hopping instead of being leveled to the ground. gotta make it a tango! :)
your arm isn't straight during the reach back.

and you are fiddling too much with the disc before walking up, i think. ;)

rest looks good!

does the dog bring the discs back?? :)

Last edited:
x-hopping instead of being leveled to the ground. gotta make it a tango! :)
your arm isn't straight during the reach back.

and you are fiddling too much with the disc before walking up, i think. ;)

rest looks good!

does the dog bring the discs back?? :)

Thank you, yes he loves chasing them and bringing them back.

Arm looks really tight and tense in backswing and pulling door frame with your arm instead of hips. Door Frame should be pulling your shoulder further back with loose/pulled taut arm.

Your stance also appears too wide and staggered closed with your CoG too far behind your front heel toward right tee side. Note how your left arm moves further away from target behind your hips while Paul's left arm moved forward in front of the hips to swing the front shoulder further forward.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135088

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 1.12.38 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 1.12.38 AM.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 73
Hi Sidewinder,

I believe this is a product of me still sort of trying to strong arm the disc out of the backswing partially due to inconsistency and a misunderstanding.

Let's say I'm relaxing my whole arm during the backswing. Obviously I have to activate my right deltoid to keep the disc up. Upon shifting my weight to my right leg, causing my shoulders to turn forward, do I need to actually use any of my arm/back or do I keep the whole thing limp like a wet noodle with the exclusion of my shoulder to guide the disc?

Correct with the arm just enough tension to guide the disc. If you do the slow motion drill or windmill going over your head and don't have enough momentum make it go overhead, you will have to use some muscle tension to maintain taut to the windmill and guide it or make it go overhead.

I'm not a fan of the term shoulder turn. Lead shoulder swings back and forth linearly in a vertical pendulum, not around in a flat horizontal circular plane that does not exist. I'm not trying to turn my shoulders in forward swing at all, it's linearly forward and rotation or turn happens. You can see how much further Paul's shoulders have gone forward, rather than gone around.

I'm stuck in a place where I go out and some days I can discipline myself to throw strictly based on technique, but I get easily distracted and I end up trying to throw everything out into the field as far as humanly possible, which is a good work out but probably not the best way to gain an extra 100 feet.

So if you had to start all over again from, let's say, 300ft being your absolute max and completely relearn how to throw a 500+ foot toss, what would be your method?

I think I might be on to something. Today I started my field work out by practicing throwing into a net with a camera. Once I felt like my throws looked better on camera and felt better I went out to the field.

I had a pretty hefty tail wind, however throwing slightly uphill I managed to get a KC pro roc 403 feet out. I out-drove my distance drivers from the other day. On another positive note I found my Josh Anton Destroyer in the creek that I lost.

When I turn out of the backswing, I can feel the weight of the disc pressing harder against my fingers as I'm turning targetward. It feels a lot more like the disc has more resistance on it than it did before. As does my arm. Arm feels more like it has tension from turning targetward.

Last edited:
As you enter in the "Hit" or power pocket, do you want to activate your triceps or will that slow the disc down?

Still out here grinding.

Last edited:
Give it an assist like pushing a kid on a swing or revolving door.

Finally got a 4x PMB Destroyer over a 6 foot fence that was about 415 feet out for a 440 foot Flat to hyzer shot.

Right now my methodology has been planting my heel, which automatically "assists" my hips turning target ward which enables me to turn my shoulders and toss the disc. Achieving good shoulder separation & Posture has also been another one of my main focuses as a year and a half of "Pulling the disc" the moment my plant toes touch the ground has been a hard habit to break.

Watching my videos I seem to be bracing with my knees bent, which results in sort of a clumsy follow-through that doesnt look smooth. May be the result of putting 100% force, but what are your thoughts on bracing with the knees locked out a little more?

Last edited:

Latest posts