• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

discspeed said:
I just bought a pair of Salomon XAs from the Sports Authority. Got them for $60, which is a pretty decent deal. The clerk asked me if I wanted to buy a 1yr $10 replacement plan. I was initially suspicious because no DG shoe has ever held up more than 6 mos for me without having at the very least the tread worn to flat on the balls of my feet. I showed him the Merrells on my feet that I bought there in Jan (and declined the replacement plan). They are leather and have no damage other than flat soles. He told me they would replace those if I had bought the plan. So...I bought the plan. So far the shoes are comfy and none of the sole has torn of yet. My Merrell Outlands (I had 3 pair) would have pieces of Vibram rubber ripping off the outside edges on the pad the first round. However I can say for certain the Salomons WILL NOT last me anywhere close to a year, so we will see how good this plan is. To me it sounds like I'm getting 2 pair of shoes for $10 more. I'll keep you posted because if this deal is honored there will be no beating the Sports Authority for DG shoes and I will be a loyal customer.
I'm waiting for my 4th replacement pair to come in the mail this week. Five pairs of shoes for the price of one. Not bad. The shoes are the best I've owned (dg-wise) if the lack of durability doesn't count.

Tumpsi, outsole-heelpiece ripping off from your right shoe or something else? Same problem with every pair so far?

Just picked up a pair of Timberland shoes, they look like trail running/hiking shoes. Vibram treads that are grippy as hell. Only played one round with them but so far so good.

paju said:
Tumpsi, outsole-heelpiece ripping off from your right shoe or something else? Same problem with every pair so far?
yes, and the goretex coating was leaking too on all of the four pairs. 2 of the 4 pairs had broken lacing system. they're the best fitting sports shoes that I've ever had. it's really disappointing to admit that Salomons do not seem to last over 2 months of about 6hrs a week on DG use.

edit: tääl alkaa oleen jo aika hyvä suomalaisedustus :--)

tumpsi said:
paju said:
yes, and the goretex coating was leaking too on all of the four pairs. 2 of the 4 pairs had broken lacing system. they're the best fitting sports shoes that I've ever had. it's really disappointing to admit that Salomons do not seem to last over 2 months of about 6hrs a week on DG use.

edit: tääl alkaa oleen jo aika hyvä suomalaisedustus :--)

Pitääkö meidän pistää luu kurkkuun noille joka nurkasta pursuaville karhuille? :) Mä ainakin puen talvella Karhut jalkaan hehe.

Hey Finns...How about that Jussi Meresmaa representing at USDGC?
Anyway, what model of Salomons are you talking about.

JR :D

discspeed said:

XA Pro 3d Gtx. Have to admit that they really are the best fitting sports-shoe in a long time for my feet too, even got my first ones before reading all the dg-hype here..
Got my second new ones (due the Gtx-leakage + and a broken lacing) about two months ago and the outsole has been ripping off few weeks now.
Though I have that non-gtx version also and they lasted last summer pretty well..

OT: It's super to watch Jussi playing lead card today. His success at USDGC is pretty sick considering how little hes been playing whole season (atleast afaik, Tumpsi probably knows a little better how much Jussi has been practising)

paju said:
JR :D

discspeed said:

XA Pro 3d Gtx. Have to admit that they really are the best fitting sports-shoe in a long time for my feet too, even got my first ones before reading all the dg-hype here..
Got my second new ones (due the Gtx-leakage + and a broken lacing) about two months ago and the outsole has been ripping off few weeks now.
Though I have that non-gtx version also and they lasted last summer pretty well..

OT: It's super to watch Jussi playing lead card today. His success at USDGC is pretty sick considering how little hes been playing whole season (atleast afaik, Tumpsi probably knows a little better how much Jussi has been practising)
I started with XA pro 3d's, two last pairs have been XA pro 3d ultra's. both with goretex. Jussi keeps getting better every year, and every year he complains the ever growing lack of training time :D he said to me that he's played under 20 rounds in 2009 on the European Open monday...

So to keep from starting a new thread, I'll just bump this one. I just got a pair of XT Wings from the REI garage sale and was wondering if anyone else had a pair and could tell me how well they hold up to DG abuse.

Frank Delicious said:
So to keep from starting a new thread, I'll just bump this one. I just got a pair of XT Wings from the REI garage sale and was wondering if anyone else had a pair and could tell me how well they hold up to DG abuse.
not well at all for me, sole separated within a week :? too bad cuz i loved em while they lasted

I never got sole separation on my two pair, but my WP XT Wings did start to leak after a full summer of dgolf. I have very few complaints with them, I would buy more but they are too damn expensive. When I find them on sale I will pick a pair up. Oh and Salomon loves skinny feet, bitches.

Try the non water proof ones, wicked airy and have a wider toe box than the WP's.

Been rocking some XT Wings for about a year now. I also got them half price. One chunk of sole, right at the base of my pinky toe of my pivot foot, has started to separate. I keep meaning to glue it. Other than that, they have been awesome, I always have great traction. I've used them in all conditions, they're great.

I got my 2nd pair of SAC in the mail Friday. My other ones are well broken in, but still structurally in good condition.

emiller3 said:
Been rocking some XT Wings for about a year now. I also got them half price. One chunk of sole, right at the base of my pinky toe of my pivot foot, has started to separate. I keep meaning to glue it. Other than that, they have been awesome, I always have great traction. I've used them in all conditions, they're great.

How did you get them 1/2 price? I'm in the market for some goretex shoes- my non-goretex intercepts just aren't cutting it right now. I had some sweet Montrails for a couple of years, but their soles finally broke through on me.

I got them half price last Spring at a Dick's Sporting Goods sidewalk sale. I got the orange/black/gray ones, must not have been a popular color.

Those same ones have been on SAC recenty at half price.

Personally, I prefer non GTX shoes and Sealskinz. The lining in shoes always wears out after a year.

Same here. I love the Sealskins. I have 4 pair of Salomon XCRs that I rotate around...got them all on Steep & Cheap for at least half price. I don't get the whole gortex lined shoe...if you even walk through damp grass that's over the top of the shoe, you're getting wet. :lol:

I've been wearing skate shoes, should I look for something with better ability to allow my plant foot to pivot? I've been working on shifting my weight forward and the pivot isn't coming around which was killing my knee the past few days.

Latest posts