• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

Jaysus said:
I picked up a pair of Garmont Vento on clearance at at local outfitter this week. About to take them out for a test drive, and a long rough course - I've heard good things about the brand - they look like great summer DG shoes.

DAGY.jpg

I have been real please with this shoe - and would definitely recommend the brand to anyone looking into a new pair of DG kicks.

Here is a pretty decent deal on a different pair of Garmonts that was posted on DGCR: http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/alias-25000oftheprofitswillgotowoundeddisabledveterans.aspx

I've been on a shoe quest for a while. The courses near me have some extremely steep "fairways," especially Veteran's park. I shattered an ankle many years ago, and it tends to turn under very easily. I have fallen several times on another course nearby in Grand Prairie, and wound up in the ER after one spill that landed my knee onto the sharp edge of a metal gas line. I got hiking boots specifically for playing Veterans, and I just avoid the Grand Prairie Course altogether now. But I find I have to adjust my technique switching back and forth between shoes and boots.

Anyway, I just ordered these Salomon mid cuts, and I hope they work out. Does anyone have any other suggestions for footwear I can try if the Salomon's don't do the trick?

21251.jpg

ihasadisc said:
I've been on a shoe quest for a while. The courses near me have some extremely steep "fairways," especially Veteran's park. I shattered an ankle many years ago, and it tends to turn under very easily. I have fallen several times on another course nearby in Grand Prairie, and wound up in the ER after one spill that landed my knee onto the sharp edge of a metal gas line. I got hiking boots specifically for playing Veterans, and I just avoid the Grand Prairie Course altogether now. But I find I have to adjust my technique switching back and forth between shoes and boots.

Anyway, I just ordered these Salomon mid cuts, and I hope they work out. Does anyone have any other suggestions for footwear I can try if the Salomon's don't do the trick?

21251.jpg

Before trying out any more new shoes after you get the Salomons i'd try the cheaper and more versatile route. I've almost torn a ligament in two and have used ankle braces of different thicknesses based on the roughness of the course and how far i'm with healing. Heavy duty brace limited mobility and distance a lot and when the ankle was hurting more it was the only way i could play. I can't heel pivot with the heavy duty brace. My light brace was bought after the snow fell so i haven't been able to give it a normal try but i do get mobility out of it. It's too little for me at work but it seems to work in the snow. I can't tell how i'll fare with it in the summer until i go to Holland late in March.

I can't tell you how thick and stiff braces you need for different terrains because i don't know how easy it is to hurt your ankle. So you need to test different shoes with one brace in different terrains and decide if you need a different strength brace. Braces are great for support and they are immune to laces breaking and the shoes suddenly not supporting the ankle. If your ankle is really bad a stiffer brace may be better overall with the realization that it will cost you in distance and form. If you can swing it using just a light brace more power to you!

You're looking at good and expensive shoes and you can buy both light and heavy duty braces and save money compared to shoes. Braces don't wear that fast so you'll benefit from them longer than from the shoes. Probably. I use a brace at work daily and i got two years from a heavy brace. On top of using it while playing and religiously field practicing. Breaking thousand drives per week on many occasions.

Considering the low price of some models and your tendency of turning under the ankle it sounds your ligaments are too lose and that increases the chance of further injury a lot. That is why i think you'd be better off in the long run with at least a medium support brace. Ankles get worse and more easily breaking with each injury. Please don't take any chances that would cut your playing career short. Plus worsening your quality of life.

I've steered clear of ankle braces since my surgeon told me to avoid them 22 years ago after the cast was removed, and then again when he took the screw out of the bone. I think he didn't want me becoming dependent on them, and hampering the recovery. But I guess it won't hurt to wear one when playing disc golf, and my recovery is certainly as complete as it's going to get. I'll give it a try if the Salomons don't work out. Thanks for the suggestion.

My Salomons arrived today. I was a bit concerned when I read, after placing the order, that they are not good for wide feet. But even though my feet are a little wide, these shoes fit really well. I've never had a shoe with this much arch support. They are really comfortable. I'm looking forward to wearing them out when it warms up.

I've got wide feet and love Salomons. I also wear 14s so they may widen out in larger sizes.

On a side note, I just got a pair of Lunarmx+ Nikes for my everyday tennis shoe and they are probably the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn.
415322-008.jpg

Hi all - question! Pardon my ignorance, but I don't want to go through 13 pages of posts to get a quick answer. :) I think it's time I invest in some solid shoes for the sport. I've been using some nice running shoes for about a year, but they breathe super well and have a semi-permeable meshing covering a majority of the shoe (to help with breath-ability). This proves to be a WONDERFUL issue when it's wet. On top of that, the shoes have not held up too well - the meshing has started to open up and tear.

I've noticed a lot of recommendations for Merrel's (my dad suggested these as well when I was visiting family this past weekend), but I don't really know much about solid outdoor shoe shopping. Obviously, everyone wants something different or something more catered to their foot, but I think it's generally accepted that we all want a durable, waterproof/watertight shoe for the sport. My first question is this - are all Merrel outdoor/hiking shoes waterproof/watertight? And even more important - do most stores have a warranty or replacement plan in place for these nice shoes? Again, I'm not familiar at all with super-shoe shopping, so protips are welcome. Thanks!

stinlin said:
My first question is this - are all Merrel outdoor/hiking shoes waterproof/watertight? And even more important - do most stores have a warranty or replacement plan in place for these nice shoes? Again, I'm not familiar at all with super-shoe shopping, so protips are welcome. Thanks!

i just got rid of my second pair of merril moab gtxs. great shoes...when its dry out. i play a lot of early morning golf and theres often dew on the grass and my shoes end up getting really wet.

my feet also would end up wet. $100 shoes with the best waterproof/breathable material on the planet and my feet still ended up wet. :evil:

besides that, they were great for golf for the short time that they lasted. both pairs were returned dye to the body starting to unglue from the sole.

re: places to buy.

REI. best place to buy, hands down. you pay a little bit more, but you get a 100% satisfaction guarantee. theyre AWESOME with returns.

opted for the vasque breeze with gore-tex for my new pair. a bit taller with a little more ankle support. super aggressive vibram sole.

hoping they do what a nice light hiking boot should do: support the ankle and sole and keep ma tootsies dry!

With Merrell, look for "GTX" as part of the name if you want waterproof. E.g. I like Moab Ventilators, which are non-waterproof and have a lot of that mesh you're talking about. The Moab Ventilator GTX model additionally has a Goretex lining to help keep water out. In most conditions I like the breathable shoes better since Goretex is hot and my feet get wet anyway due to sweat.

REI (not sure if you have one near you) has high prices but a great return policy and will take stuff back for just about any reason. I don't feel right returning shoes that just have normal wear and tear, but I have no problem returning things that break, turn out to be a bad fit, etc.

For most of the major brands, they'll carry waterproof and non-waterproof versions of the same shoe, so you'll have to do your homework from that regard. Waterproof isn't completely necessary, and despite what they say, I don't think waterproof material is typically very breathable, nor does it always work. You can get waterproof socks so you only have to go waterproof when necessary.

I bought my shoes from REI, they offer a full replacement if I'm not happy for any reason.

You really ought to try some shoes on and decide for yourself. I thought some of the Merrells looked cool, but when I tried them on in the store, they were extremely firm and lumpy, they didn't fit my feet well at all.

I bought the Teva Riva eVents and they are AWESOME. Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and they have proven bullet-proof so far. The eVent is Teva's waterproof material, I would have rather gotten them in the standard mesh but couldn't find them locally to try on.

I bought the Riva's for mountain courses, which I play often. I prefer less grippy cross-trainer type shoes for courses with cement tee pads. I have two pairs of Salomon XT Wings that have been great in every respect, but even they some sole-separation going on. I wouldn't spend more than $70 on cross trainers, I haven't found a pair that's worth breaking the bank like some of the hiking shoes.

All helpful, thanks! Waterproof can be dealt with by a spray or something. But I guess I want something durable that will last me and will help keep my feet from getting too soaked when I have to walk through puddles. I'll check out the Dick's nearby to at least get a feel like you mentioned. There's a Cabella's/Outdoor World nearby, but the nearest REI to Indianapolis is...not near, haha.

I find that I'm not a fan of quick lace shoes as they don't stay tight enough around my feet. I'm always having to tape my heels or I'll get blisters. Anyone else have these issues? I think I'm more about having shoes that I can tie myself.

emiller3 said:
For most of the major brands, they'll carry waterproof and non-waterproof versions of the same shoe, so you'll have to do your homework from that regard. Waterproof isn't completely necessary, and despite what they say, I don't think waterproof material is typically very breathable, nor does it always work. You can get waterproof socks so you only have to go waterproof when necessary.

I bought my shoes from REI, they offer a full replacement if I'm not happy for any reason.

You really ought to try some shoes on and decide for yourself. I thought some of the Merrells looked cool, but when I tried them on in the store, they were extremely firm and lumpy, they didn't fit my feet well at all.

I bought the Teva Riva eVents and they are AWESOME. Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and they have proven bullet-proof so far. The eVent is Teva's waterproof material, I would have rather gotten them in the standard mesh but couldn't find them locally to try on.

I bought the Riva's for mountain courses, which I play often. I prefer less grippy cross-trainer type shoes for courses with cement tee pads. I have two pairs of Salomon XT Wings that have been great in every respect, but even they some sole-separation going on. I wouldn't spend more than $70 on cross trainers, I haven't found a pair that's worth breaking the bank like some of the hiking shoes.

REI is cool like that....one reason I buy shoes from them and spend the little extra for the shoe. Waterproof shoes are rad for the first few months, then they don't work anymore. I also don't care for them for the same reason....your feet sweet and can breed athlete's foot.

I like wearing sandals in the summer. I've had Tevas and Keens mostly and like them both. For winter, I like a nice light hiking boot to keep my feet warm and still provide grip. For the rest of the time, I usually prefer a trail running shoe for the grip and because they are lightweight. There are some that are waterproof and others that aren't. Does anyone wear Crocs? I've been looking at them over at shoemall and was curious to know how they feel.

emiller3 said:
I bought the Teva Riva eVents and they are AWESOME. Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and they have proven bullet-proof so far.

Ditto. They are some seriously awesome footwear.

I'm gonna go against the grain here, but my shoes of choice are Osirises, the bronx models. For those who don't know, they're actually skateboarding shoes, but they're comfortable, have good support, and durable as all hell.

Jeronimo said:
emiller3 said:
I bought the Teva Riva eVents and they are AWESOME. Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and they have proven bullet-proof so far.

Are these waterproof? Do they breathe well? How long have you had them to determine craftsmanship?

I'm curious because I spent a pretty penny on some Solomon's that are not what I thought they'd be. I'm in the market for some serious footwear as I'm hard on shoes with our inclement weather here.

Sean40474 said:
Jeronimo said:
emiller3 said:

Are these waterproof? Do they breathe well? How long have you had them to determine craftsmanship?

I'm curious because I spent a pretty penny on some Solomon's that are not what I thought they'd be. I'm in the market for some serious footwear as I'm hard on shoes with our inclement weather here.

Yes. Yes. Over 1 year. They're low cut though so don't expect to step into any real deep puddles.

I'm concerned that maybe my gortex Salomon's are losing their waterproofing after just three months. Is that something that happens with gortex shoes? Do they develop cracks?

Jen, with the shoes that I've purchased this has happened to me as well. I do have a pair of solomons that seem to be holding their waterproofing....i got mine back in December.

Latest posts