• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on footwear

New balance is a good shoe, but the soles don't hold up very well for disc golf. All of the pair I've bought had the tread pull off the the bottom of the shoe. My personal favorite are the 513, but they have been discontinued. The 505 are good, but the sole of the heel aren't wide enough to give me enough ankle support. Keep in mind my right ankle is cocked to the right, so resistance to ankle roll at the heel is my main concern.

I recently bought some skechers and they are awesome as far as ankle support goes. I believe they are called revmesh, but they are comfortable and supportive even for my crippled ankle. If you have a Sports authority in your area, that is the best place to buy shoes. They gave me a 1 year warranty for $5, and I usually tear them up in 6 months or so.

Working as a starter at The Beaver State Fling I got to see some great golf, and a huge variation in shoes. I went out the next week and bought the same style I saw more than all the others. What's really amazing is that I used to wear them back in the 70's, but was pulled away from one of the greatest all around shoes on the market by fashion. Oh, they are under a hundred bucks too, and not too hot for leather. Ladies and gentelmen...the Adidas Samba Millenium
ADI_13009_F.jpeg

Those look pretty sweet. I want to try some Keens after they did so much to sponsor the Beaver State Fling. If you're willing to wait a little longer (next few months or so, I'm guessing), they should be releasing a disc golf shoe.

I ordered them last night. I needed some new shoes and thought I'd get them while they were on sale. I will try to write a little review of them after I have used them for a while.

I just picked up a new pair of trail runners: Adidas Supernova Riot

They consistently get rave reviews (even outside magazine loves them and they don't BS about performance), especially for those that pronate and/or have low arches. I have to agree that the support and cushion they offer is amazing, but they are still super light considering how much material is used to achieve the support.

I snagged them for $60. Considering they are $100 typical retail I'm happy.

http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/gear.tcl?gear=Adidas-Supernova-Riot&gear_id=7683&action=showgear

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/ADI1564/

I really bought these for straight trail running, but I know they'd do real well for DG rounds. The weight, tread and support is all there. I may get a second pair for the tee.

RoomTenONine said:
I just picked up a new pair of trail runners: Adidas Supernova Riot

I snagged them for $60. Considering they are $100 typical retail I'm happy.

Locally or online?

J-Man said:
Working as a starter at The Beaver State Fling I got to see some great golf, and a huge variation in shoes. I went out the next week and bought the same style I saw more than all the others. What's really amazing is that I used to wear them back in the 70's, but was pulled away from one of the greatest all around shoes on the market by fashion. Oh, they are under a hundred bucks too, and not too hot for leather. Ladies and gentelmen...the Adidas Samba Millenium
ADI_13009_F.jpeg

omg I can vouch for this even up here in the North east on summer days. This is a really popular dgolf shoe!

Better late than never but I also wanted to comment on the Salomon talk from the beginning of the thread. Salomon makes a fantastic shoe that they stand behind. HOWEVER, they absolutely, positively do NOT cater to people with a wide foot. If you're someone that finds a normal keen shoe comfortable or if you usually look for even a slightly more roomy toe box, Salomon is not the shoe for you. I've tried the XT Wings, the XA Pro's, and the Fusions and not one of them would accomodate my toes. Just to keep it in perspective: I do not have sasquatch feet, North face shoes for example are not too tight for me, though they could be a little roomier as well.

I highly recommend these shoes. I've had them 6 months running now, still waterproof, haven't ripped and I still have alot of tread left. Again, they could be roomier but I can survive two rounds without too much trouble.

10757-616511-p.jpg

I pray for the day Salomon makes the XA Pro GTX and XT Wings GTX in an E width...

Dont really know how popular Asics is in the States, but you guys with wider feet (XA pro not fitting) should really give Asics Gel-Moriko 3 GTX a try.
A bit too wide for me but being somekind of a runningshoe-expert I can really recommend that. Build quality should be great, outsole feels promising for the sport and it has nice gel-cushioning..

http://www.runnersworld.ltd.uk/acatalog/Gel_Moriko_3_WP.html

I picked up a pair of Garmont Vento on clearance at at local outfitter this week. About to take them out for a test drive, and a long rough course - I've heard good things about the brand - they look like great summer DG shoes.

DAGY.jpg

Jeronimo said:
J-Man said:
ADI_13009_F.jpeg

I usually play in Nike FC's. Basically Adidas Sambas only more comfy IMO.

fc_gino_lrg.jpg

BarcelonaFCs.jpg

Got a deal on some shoes in the Cabela's bargain bin. Found some New Balance 1520's: Gore-Tex XCR, and Vibram soles. They were worn once and returned, so I got them for $69

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0066716824478a.shtml

Played 18 at Elm Creek right after the purchase, and another 27 holes the next day. They feel great, and are not as hot as I thought they might be.

dgdave said:
Keep an update on the 1520s. I've been eyeing them for a while now.

One thing I can say is that they run narrower than your average New Balance shoes for some reason. I think my feet must be average width, and they fit fine, but if you have wide feet, stay away. That's probably why they were worn once and returned.
Still feeling good after another 30 holes the other day. I should take them out in this horrible weather to test the grip and waterproofness.

I just bought a pair of Salomon XAs from the Sports Authority. Got them for $60, which is a pretty decent deal. The clerk asked me if I wanted to buy a 1yr $10 replacement plan. I was initially suspicious because no DG shoe has ever held up more than 6 mos for me without having at the very least the tread worn to flat on the balls of my feet. I showed him the Merrells on my feet that I bought there in Jan (and declined the replacement plan). They are leather and have no damage other than flat soles. He told me they would replace those if I had bought the plan. So...I bought the plan. So far the shoes are comfy and none of the sole has torn of yet. My Merrell Outlands (I had 3 pair) would have pieces of Vibram rubber ripping off the outside edges on the pad the first round. However I can say for certain the Salomons WILL NOT last me anywhere close to a year, so we will see how good this plan is. To me it sounds like I'm getting 2 pair of shoes for $10 more. I'll keep you posted because if this deal is honored there will be no beating the Sports Authority for DG shoes and I will be a loyal customer.

Wish we had a Sports Authority around here. I absolutely love my Salomon's, but they don't last me a year...maybe 8 months? I do wear them almost everyday to either play DG, or trail run, so they get punished. I don't think anything is going to last any longer, and I have almost zero knee/hip pain in the Salomon's. Pain was a problem in everything else I tried. :(