• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Sorry I didnt realize how many times the Birdie had been changed. I thought they just had the thumbtrack and no thumbtrack version. I always find it interesting learning about older molds and thier history. Thank you for pointing out the aviar top good to know for the future.

marmoset said:
My RPPCs are halfway in between the two photos.

Where, I don't see it?

AAHHHHHHHhhhhh.... but seriously. I had a sonic a long while ago. Hated it because I was noob. Its still an alright disc but I got a Ratter from Mark Ellis recently, he charges $20 for pro d discs fyi..., but it has certainly found a spot in my bag. Its not key to my game disc but it is certainly missed when not present.

Booter said:
I snagged a birdie like those pictured for 10 bucks not too long ago. Its a nice disc but I havnt found a use for it in my bag. I might try it out
Unfortunately I had to pay a lot more for mine. But they seem to be unthrown.

mattw said:
Sorry I didnt realize how many times the Birdie had been changed. I thought they just had the thumbtrack and no thumbtrack version. I always find it interesting learning about older molds and thier history. Thank you for pointing out the aviar top good to know for the future.
DGS has some good info...
First Birdie
http://www.discgolfsweden.se/discar/discar_sokdisc_eng.aspx?DiscId=1903
Second Birdie
http://www.discgolfsweden.se/discar/discar_sokdisc_eng.aspx?DiscId=1902
Third Birdie
http://www.discgolfsweden.se/discar/discar_sokdisc_eng.aspx?DiscId=1904

Spike said:
Second Birdie

Is the Gumbutt still the same Birdie mold since they switched to Discraft? Great site by the way added it to my favorites. Thank you.

I don't know about the Gumbputt.

Yes, the site has the largest disc database in the world, so it's pretty useful.

mattw said:
Spike said:
Second Birdie

Is the Gumbutt still the same Birdie mold since they switched to Discraft? Great site by the way added it to my favorites. Thank you.

The current Gumbputt is DGA´s own mold.

cfair said:
marmoset said:
My RPPCs are halfway in between the two photos.

Where, I don't see it?

AAHHHHHHHhhhhh.... but seriously. I had a sonic a long while ago. Hated it because I was noob. Its still an alright disc but I got a Ratter from Mark Ellis recently, he charges $20 for pro d discs fyi..., but it has certainly found a spot in my bag. Its not key to my game disc but it is certainly missed when not present.

I have been known to sell or trade discs from time to time and I try to give fair prices/trades based on the specifics of the transaction.

The particular Rattler cfair got was a GREAT RATTLER, one I would be happy to put in my bag. In fact if cfair wants to use that Rattler for a few years and break it in I will be happy to buy it back or trade for it.

Generally I charge $10 for new candy plastic but we all know some discs are special or rare. I just got my latest order from Discraft with the Discraft Baby hotstamp and they look tasty. If any of you see me on the course I would be happy to show you what I picked up but I don't do mail orders.

I'm really liking the Birdie I traded an overweight Challenger for at the course the other day. Traded on a whim, always wanted to try this type of putter.

If you tend to miss putts low, I highly recommend getting one of these (or probably any lid putter), they just hang in the air longer. It's been fun experimenting with lofting putts as well as going straight for the chains. I've actually been using it for most of my shots outside of driving, it holds any line; I love throwing annhyzer approach shots with it.

Since it's my first time using this type of disc for golf, I'm curious as to where the Birdie falls on the spectrum of lid putters. What's better?

Flipflat said:
Since it's my first time using this type of disc for golf, I'm curious as to where the Birdie falls on the spectrum of lid putters. What's better?
FWIW, all of my Birdies have been pretty overstable, by lid standards.

jubuttib said:
Flipflat said:
FWIW, all of my Birdies have been pretty overstable, by lid standards.

Seems to be perfectly neutral. If that's overstable by lid standards, then I like it.

I found me a light blue 170-172g Rattler, and boy howdy this disc is hard to throw. :D

Buut I´ve found it to be insanely good on long putts, 50'+. :shock: Can aim so straight for the basket with my pushputt.

Also I´m starting to get the hang of throwing it too. Just need to follow two simple rules:
1. Gentle oh so so gentle touch.
2. More spin than in a washing machine. :lol:

In conclusion I´m very glad I bought this disc. I can get rid of my silly OAT problem, make huuuge putts, learn how to add more spin to a disc and have fun playing catch with it. :)

I dont know about the hard to throw part.

Ive found rattlers to be pretty stable and fly very straight (when newish) on shots over 260.

But its not a disc that handles OAT, so if you got any you should throw rattlers, and it will help get rid of it

Got 2 blue Rattlers in the mail the other day, one light blue which is slick and gummy, and a darker blue which is a bit stiffer but more grippy. I took the light blue out and really enjoyed throwing it. I used it for everything 100' and in, not throwing my Ions unless it was off the tee, and made a couple of cool shots: one was a horseshoe shaped approach where I stood on a slant and had to sharply anhyzer uphill and around a gigantic tree/bush and then let it come back and land downhill, past where I was standing (blind shot). I also used it on a steep uphill shot, about 75', maybe a little less. I was going to use an Ion on a high hyzer, but then I figured I might as well use the Rattler. Threw it high and straight, landed about 10' from the basket; made me realize how easy these discs are to throw with some height.

I think I'm going to have to try all lids, such a cool type of disc.

Got two Hero Praxis 235s at the European Open. Mainly got them because I don't really have a fastback type disc and the things were only like 1 Euro more than crappy gas station discs. Boy howdy these are the best damn fastbacks I've ever thrown. At short distances they fly like lids, but unlike every other lid I've tried at this style and weight class I can give these a full power disc golf rip with a flat release and they just fly straight. No turn. Zero. Zilch. I expect this stability won't last, but I just love these things the way they are now.

My staff badge was blank because nobody had the time to get it printed. I was doing three jobs so i was quite busy myself too. Saturday work was spread out to 19 hours with some breaks in between. Man i'm tired and worn especially in the legs.

Loop said:
SONOFA...I never got to meet you... :(

Maybe we met but i don't know... Damn. Maybe if i knew what you look like i might remember meeting you there. Great at least two DGR members staffing and one competing at the other major of the year with JHern staffing the other and who knows how many will be competing in the other.

Latest posts