• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

MizzouTiger26 said:
The girlfriend randomly picked me up a dx birdie for Christmas. Never thrown a lid before, so definitely gonna take it out to the course tomorrow to see it float in action.
I wouldn't expect much floating, unless it's a light weight Birdie.

Yeah, heavy Birdies are quite stable, even overstable (my experience) and don't really float all that well.

The debate is always clear, you either love lids or you had them. I feel that ppl with big/bigger hands like lids moreso then ppl with smaller hands. I used to own birdies for the longest time and have since switched to the discraft rattler. My personal favorite of the 4 is the rattler. The plastic has been revamped and it is no longer AS hard as it used to be and just feels great in my hand and it's just a touch faster of a disc. The birdie is a close second because it is almost the same disc with a thumbtrac and the polecat is basically the same with just a different plastic and the rim is a little less deep (or atleast the one that I used was) and has a touch more glide then the rest.and my least being the sonic. The sonic just feels really cheap to me and I don't like how the ribbed thumb track feels in my hands and it's the most understable of the group by far. These are my personal placements and I'm sure that everyone is going to have different opinions about what I'm saying here for sure, but again just my opinion. Ppl say that they are bad in the wind. You would definitely be right, BUT every disc has it's pros and cons, EVERY disc no matter how great it is or ppl would just throw one disc. The lid discs that I've tried I.E. the polecat, birdie, sonic, and rattler fly all about the same minus the fact they are slightly different in the speed and glide category. (This is my pros and cons list for 175G putters that's the best weight for me so if you have a lighter putter it will for sure float further with less effort and be a bit more understable.) The pros of these discs are they normally have little to no fade, they don't fly too far past the basket when you miss and they are incredibly straight flyers and are great for elevator putts/shots and 100-150+ approaches that require a straight shot with little effort. The cons of these discs are they definitely aren't good in the wind because of there shape and how big they are they, definitely act like kites (I would even be careful with those easy 5-10 ft easy putts I've had mine fly over the basket in a descent wind!). They leave very little room for error if you're throwing them straight because wherever you throw them they will land for the most part straight. They sit down as soon as they lose speed really quickly, that isn't necessarily a weakness moreso of a personal preference (I for one like that.). So these discs can definitely make an addition to anyones bag just as long as you understand what they are supposed to be used for. My advice for everyone out there would be to have your normal set of discs AND discs that are great in the wind as well for EVERYTHING not just for putting. I for one use the challenger for windy putts. I hope this helps.

I picked up a couple of elite x putt'r the other day, and I am totally digging how these two feel. After cracking one of my puppies the other day I figured I would give another lid mold a try. I have tried puppies and rattles and liked how those flew and feel but I the putt'r imo has just such a great feel to it. I haven't had many opportunities to get out and practice my putting with it but I have a good feeling about this disc. I really dig how the elite x molds up and feels nice even cold and wet. Wish they would mold up some rattles in that plastic, I would buy a case of those. Anyone else throwing Putt'rs out there? Opinions?

Have a 100g polecat coming in the mail. Will record me playing a 9 hole course with just this disc when it comes in :lol:

I had a sudden urge for some liddy action, so I got some coming in: 2 Praxis Freestyles, 2 Praxis Distances, 2 light (139-149) Zephyrs and a heavy (190-200) Zephyr. Have never thrown a Zephyr, and only seen them once, but I knew I wanted them.

So glad I found this thread! I have been really focusing on my short game recently, with the intent of starting to play in tournaments this year, and after six months of trying different putters, I finally stumbled across the Polecat. Tried a lot of pricey fancy putters, and absolutely nothing compares to these $7 miracles. I have probably taken three strokes off my average in the week I've had it.=)
BTw first post in these forums, long time lurker.

jubuttib said:
NOW we're talking! Love those, but I have only tried a couple of full weight ones at 200g. I think it may actually be more fun with the lighter ones, because the heavy wasn't as glidey as I thought, although they would probably be better for disc golf.
Too bad they are too big for my bag.

Boy, it's a good thing the Zephyr has the Thumbtrac, would be pretty hard to hold on to without it. Got two 139s and a 188 (even though I specified 191-200g, but meh). Haven't got a chance to really throw them yet, but they feel pretty nice. Oh, and the Praxes are great. The softer Freestyle ones might actually be even better, since whereas the stiffer Distance models tend to be bent a bit, the Freestyles look nice and even.

EDIT: As a side note, I really wish Innova would bring back their old circle stamps. I now have the Condor and Zephyr and they just look so much better than any of the modern stamps.

Mike C said:
Have a 100g polecat coming in the mail. Will record me playing a 9 hole course with just this disc when it comes in :lol:
Do it! You got to use some heavy ass soundtrack to go with it. :lol:

I played UNC today with primarily a Polecat and a Z Putt'R and actually did better than I thought I would. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Condor and just going with a Condor and a Polecat for the rest of the Winter. I can't figure out if I want a heavy or light Condor, and I'm tempted to try out a Zephyr and Rattler for shits and giggles as well.

Not that I know anything, but heavy Condors seem to be the best rollers (if there's snow on the ground you won't be doing that), light ones seem to be the best for TRC (meaning they'll stay in the air and get carried by the wind nicely), so I'd wager that something around 170 would be best for golf. I have a 168 and it works nicely.

I really really want a rattler in better plastic, doesnt have to be Z, X would be fine, although Z would be sick

Roc Lover said:
I really really want a rattler in better plastic, doesnt have to be Z, X would be fine, although Z would be sick

I would be happy if the current runs werent as hard as bricks. I started grabbing a bunch of the older stamped D Rattlers becouse I like the way the plastic feels over the current runs.

BrotherDave said:
Mike C said:

I played UNC today with primarily a Polecat and a Z Putt'R and actually did better than I thought I would. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Condor and just going with a Condor and a Polecat for the rest of the Winter. I can't figure out if I want a heavy or light Condor, and I'm tempted to try out a Zephyr and Rattler for shits and giggles as well.

Want a Rattler? I got a new, blue firm @168g for $9 shipped.

BrotherDave said:
Mike C said:

Heavy Zephyr is great if the tall grip ain't an issue. I don't have the hand size and the finger length for it with a power grip but fan grip works.

Flipflat said:
Want a Rattler? I got a new, blue firm @168g for $9 shipped.
No thank you, I have a thing against blue discs.

JR said:
Heavy Zephyr is great if the tall grip ain't an issue. I don't have the hand size and the finger length for it with a power grip but fan grip works.
Ooh, probably would be, I have short fingers. I don't even like how deep Birdies and Gophers are.

The Zephyr is way bulkier in every dimension than the Birdie so a grip change or dropping the idea of getting one is in order at least for the short term until you ahem come grips with large discs :) Polecat DX ain't gonna fly like new long but would be way easier to throw and less HSS but for shorter approaches it should be good even when worn. And the grip is way way friendlier than the Zephyr. I have no idea about R-Pro Polecats.

I played catch before League today with a pair of Putt'rs.

It was calm air and they flew great, like broken in Rattlers, dead nuts stable at slow speeds. I may have to give them some more air time. The rim is so different than other putters that it takes some getting used to but it felt natural today.

This winter I have experimented with using backup discs for warm up before rounds. I know my tournament bag pretty well so my warm up is for my body to get ready, not to figure out how my discs fly in the conditions. If I use my primary discs in warm up then they get cold and wet from the snow. It is nice to start the round with clean, dry, grippy discs.

Latest posts