• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

If anybody is looking to unload a few lids, let me know -> http://discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22720

After trying lots of lids I finally settled with Birdie, for everything from approaches and putts to short drives. As being said before in this thread, it's not much like other lids though, more like a slow Rhyno. After a few tree hits they become super straight. For the glidey shots and long putts I use the old star-stamped Birdie without the thumtrac, which flies more like a Rattler than like current Birdies. Also ordered Champion Birdies from Dynamic Discs. Expect those to be very unliddy and fly like bricks. Will come handy.

They fly like bricks. Not to glidey and pretty overstable, unless there's wind. This was from 3 gummy ones I had a few years back.

JR said:
Please tell us how the Champ Birdie flies, when you get them.
Been using them for a while now. Not as bricky as I expected, but still quite nice (second throw was an ace, so of course I like it :) ). Mine were actually a little bit less stable than a new Dx Birdie. On a short downhill hole I got slight right turns time after time, while the Dx Birdies went straight. Very gummy and flexy plastic.

Just love those 1st generation Birdies from 1991. If you have tried them or know stuff about them, please help me out. As I understood from DGS disc database they are made from Aviar top and Birdie bottom.

What do you think of them?

Any info or idea about why they got discontinued (…or rather evolved)?

Do you have such a Birdie to sell to me? (I'm no collector, just play with them. Not willing to pay a fortune, but a decent price. And yes, I live in Sweden (we buy from U.S. all the time, but I think it will work the other way as well :) )
za7t3.jpg

call me crazy but isn't a thumbtrac-less birdie just a polecat? regardless those first run birdies look right damn cool.

IMO the thumtrac Birdie is more stable than Polecat. The second Birdie (flat top) is said to be very close to Polecat (haven't thrown it). The 1991 Birdies fly slower, and more like Rattler than Polecat. Love those!

The shoulder should also be different, PC's have a very square shoulder, and if the old Birdie has the Aviar top it should be very sloped.

jubuttib said:
The shoulder should also be different, PC's have a very square shoulder, and if the old Birdie has the Aviar top it should be very sloped.

That's true. They are very different.

Top image: 1991 Birdie vs. Polecat

Bottom image: Thumtrac Birdie vs. Polecat

I don't know if the images show that the bottom part of the Birdies lean inwards while Polecat is absolutely straight. Not the best image.

Wish I could compare the flat top non-thumtrac Birdie vs. Polecat.
24b911j.jpg

Holy crap that is a stark difference.

EDIT: I think the flat-top no thumtrac birdie would just be the proto polecat after seeing these pics.

New to the boards here. Have not seen any mention of super puppies on this thread yet. Am I the only one who uses these relics? I also use rattles and zephyr quite often. Love throwing these days discs just wish they came in grippier plastic for winter and fall rounds.

well it's like you said they are relics. I would love to throw one. Hell the other day I rocked a bag with 2 polecats a rattler and a sonic. I'd put a super puppy in there with no second thoughts.

I took a Birdie out to the course today on a whim. I've had it lying around for a long time after I found it at a course probably a year ago (or more). It was surprisingly stable. I could power it off the tee and it would hold a great line. I'm not sold on it yet, but I'm definitely interested. It was great for short flicks, too.

the lid discs are severely under rated. I love to keep three different ones in my bag. Rattler, Polecat & Sonic. I'm sure I could pare it down to just two polecats. but I love all of them.

fanter said:
I took a Birdie out to the course today on a whim. I've had it lying around for a long time after I found it at a course probably a year ago (or more). It was surprisingly stable. I could power it off the tee and it would hold a great line. I'm not sold on it yet, but I'm definitely interested. It was great for short flicks, too.
That's what I keep saying too. But for some reason Dx Birdie seems to have an invisible stamp on it saying it's understable. Most lids need to be thrown with just a little bit more height, but then many of them will go straight all the way.

The girlfriend randomly picked me up a dx birdie for Christmas. Never thrown a lid before, so definitely gonna take it out to the course tomorrow to see it float in action.

Latest posts