• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

The coupon code "dgcr" still works for 10% off orders at reptiliandiscgolf.com.

Some really nice colors on this run of Gila.

Just to reiterate to those who haven't read the beginning of this thread...

The Gila was designed to mimic the glorious Sanny Sentinel in flight. They're a faster, more OS Roc with a big bead and smooth top. No pop top or mega domes on these bad boys.

Pair one with your Roc cycle and you'll be extremely pleased with the added speed and forehand tolerance. They'll also fight winds and season up beautifully.

The Gila was the mid range I ALWAYS wanted. Now that it exists... I throw them an obnoxious amount. You will too.

Attachments

• received_10160419181115055.jpg
    received_10160419181115055.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 17
  • received_10160419181305055.jpg
    received_10160419181305055.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 19
  • received_10160419181390055.jpg
    received_10160419181390055.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 17
Some really nice colors on this run of Gila.

Just to reiterate to those who haven't read the beginning of this thread...

The Gila was designed to mimic the glorious Sanny Sentinel in flight. They're a faster, more OS Roc with a big bead and smooth top. No pop top or mega domes on these bad boys.

Pair one with your Roc cycle and you'll be extremely pleased with the added speed and forehand tolerance. They'll also fight winds and season up beautifully.

The Gila was the mid range I ALWAYS wanted. Now that it exists... I throw them an obnoxious amount. You will too.

Do you bag these alongside the Kaxe or did that get kicked out of the bag?

Do you bag these alongside the Kaxe or did that get kicked out of the bag?

Kaxe didn't stand a chance again the Gila.

The Gila is a wide diameter so it fills a more traditional slot whereas the Kaxe is very much an in-between disc for me.

I can probably throw a Kaxe a bit further than a Gila but the big bead and comfortable shape really gives me the confidence to let it fly.

I have been throwing a Gila in alongside my Prophecies lately for flick shots and big spike hyzer type shots. (Certain courses)

I have been throwing a Gila in alongside my Prophecies lately for flick shots and big spike hyzer type shots. (Certain courses)

They're a killer duo.

When I'm playing rocky courses I use a Diamond Prophecy with my Amber Gila.

On less abusive courses I usually skip the prophecy in favor of a beat Fossil Gila.

Either way I am getting a nice stable, beaded mid range that will combat winds and fly a lonnnng way.

Received my 174 Amber Gila today and had a chance to take it out for the field for some testing.

Very pleasant weather 74 sunny, winds from the NW about 12. It was nice to have the wind so I could see how it handled some wind.

I have to say, from my sample size of 1 it was not what I was expecting.

I was expecting a lot of HSS, but instead it is more Roc / comet like with a strong LSF. Follows the line you throw it on.

I'm not sure I will keep it as I already have that slot filled, but I need more time to learn everything it is capable of.

I should have known this since the model was the Sanny Sentinal, I guess I just read into what I wanted rather than what it really is.

Last edited:
Received my 174 Amber Gila today and had a chance to take it out for the field for some testing.

Very pleasant weather 74 sunny, winds from the NW about 12. It was nice to have the wind so I could see how it handled some wind.

I have to say, from my sample size of 1 it was not what I was expecting.

I was expecting a lot of HSS, but instead it is more Roc / comet like with a strong LSF. Follows the line you throw it on.

I'm not sure I will keep it as I already have that slot filled, but I need more time to learn everything it is capable of.

I should have known this since the model was the Sanny Sentinal, I guess I just read into what I wanted rather than what it really is.

Report back after you've given it a thorough testing.

I've thrown dozens of Gila and never had one that I would consider Comet like in the HSS department.

If it is in fact less stable than you are hoping we can get another one out to you. These bad boys are nicely HSS, or at least we're designed to be. Wind aside, you may have gotten a freak Gila.

My experience was very different with my amber Gila.

It's about as long as a Roc/Bard for me but how it gets there is very different ways. Where the former go out turn and glide into a fade, the Gila gets out there quick and straight and then has an abrupt L fade at the end.

It's a great disc, but not a glidey Comet like one

My experience was very different with my amber Gila.

It's about as long as a Roc/Bard for me but how it gets there is very different ways. Where the former go out turn and glide into a fade, the Gila gets out there quick and straight and then has an abrupt L fade at the end.

It's a great disc, but not a glidey Comet like one

Exactly my experience too. Been throwing a 180 Amber since they first ran and it's by far and away the best forehand mid I've ever thrown. And a great reliable windy day mid

Thanks JC, Moose & Eric, I will for sure give it more time, one outing is nowhere near enough to be sure.

I love the grip and I actually like the flight, it is just not what I was expecting in terms of HSS.

I agree it is as long as a Bard and similar discs.

I was throwing it against a Pine, Bard, Anvil & Quake into the wind (current bag is Westside & DGA just for fun).

I could make it fly the windfighting lines easily enough, but just as easily i could make it turn over and fly more Comet like lines.

Has a strong LSF for sure, much more than a Comet.

I was expecting a lot of HSS but it seems to straddle the line and easily fly stable or understable.

Like I said I need more time with it. Even as it sits I like it, just not sure where or how it fits.

I might end up buying a second one just for a point of comparison.

I do have to say JC, I love the Amber plastic!

So were you flexing it, or were you throwing it flat into a headwind and getting some turn? I'm not getting any early turn out of mine into a headwind, but I've honestly never tried flexing one so I have no idea what it does when you do that.

I didn't force flex it over, only fiddled with release angles. I actually threw 3 kinds of throws.

On some throws i threw a Hyser release into the wind, it held that fine, did not flip up, did not turn.

On some throws I threw it totally flat into the wind. Those had substantial HST into the wind and then came back slightly right of center with the LSF.

Thirdly, I wanted to see how it would fight out of a turn so I released it with an anhyser release angle into the wind. Those for sure turned right and continued right except for the LSF at the end.

All in all it was not unlike the half dozen Comets I have thrown over the years. Any line was doable and controlable.

Actually not a bad disc overall, I may end up bagging it, i was just expecting more HSS.

I'm really not unhappy with it. I need to spend more time with it, and learn it better and see what it can be used for. In the interim, I am considering snagging a second one for that true HSS line.

The mold is comfortable and the Amber plastic is great.

So were you flexing it, or were you throwing it flat into a headwind and getting some turn? I'm not getting any early turn out of mine into a headwind, but I've honestly never tried flexing one so I have no idea what it does when you do that.

Typical flex shot. Nice s curve longer when thrown harder always comes back. (Assuming wind is not a factor)

I didn't force flex it over, only fiddled with release angles. I actually threw 3 kinds of throws.

On some throws i threw a Hyser release into the wind, it held that fine, did not flip up, did not turn.

On some throws I threw it totally flat into the wind. Those had substantial HST into the wind and then came back slightly right of center with the LSF.

Thirdly, I wanted to see how it would fight out of a turn so I released it with an anhyser release angle into the wind. Those for sure turned right and continued right except for the LSF at the end.

All in all it was not unlike the half dozen Comets I have thrown over the years. Any line was doable and controlable.

Actually not a bad disc overall, I may end up bagging it, i was just expecting more HSS.

I'm really not unhappy with it. I need to spend more time with it, and learn it better and see what it can be used for. In the interim, I am considering snagging a second one for that true HSS line.

The mold is comfortable and the Amber plastic is great.
Probably the thing about saying "Comet" there is that Comets don't like power. If I threw a Comet like I throw a Gila, it would turn and burn. If I threw a Gila like I throw a Comet, I wouldn't expect it to do much. That was the thing that made me go :confused: . You were not saying you threw it like a Comet, you were saying you got a flight like a Comet. Slightly less :confused: .

Roc doesn't confuse me as much as Comet in that scenario. I've been throwing the Gila back to back with a fresh USDGC Champ Roc and the Champ Roc is less HSS than the Gila for me, so I'm still not getting the same result as you. It just doesn't seem as crazy to me as a comparison point as a Comet.

3Putt, I see what you are saying, and your right, I should have been more clear.

I am not a high power player, throwing my mids 275-290 currently.

I cannot throw a comet at full power but I can throw the Gila at full power no problem, it handles all the power I have and does not turn & burn, even into a headwind.

I had a chance to throw the Gila a bunch more today, on a day with very little wind, using it for a 2nd practice drive on almost every hole.

This Gila is not understable by any means.

Even in low wind / no wind, it is more 'Eagle like' than 'Teebird like' to use a common comparison.

This one has HST, like maybe -1.5 with a strong LSF.

On a straight flat drive with no wind, it has turn and fade and ends up back neutral.

With an anhyser release angle, it can be easily turned but it does fight out of the turn.

With a hyser release it holds the hyser and never flips up regardless of power.

It is almost like it is nicely beat, except it is clearly brand new.

Into the wind the other day the HST was accentuated.

I have a new 179 pink Gila on the way so I can compare, I suspect it will be much more HSS.

I think I may just have an unusual one which actually is not bad.

Latest posts