• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery

Hey that's my buddy Ron ^, yes good closed shoulder drill/concept. He said he added 100'+ from my Crush the Can drills. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s

I don't think you are making it balanced on the front leg because you are still looking back and head is tilted over. Your chin should be leading forward of your nose to make it upright on front leg. Impossible to keep shoulder closed if you don't make it balanced on the front leg. You also want to keep everything moving more together, there's too much disconnect between the disc and your body through the arm.

Closed shoulder:

Chin forward:

Last edited:
Did some door frame drill last night. I can definitely feel the leverage in my rear butt, but its still foreign to me how to land that weight on the front side.

Anyway, moved to Raleigh, NC recently so I've been trying out some of the courses here. Played Zebulon today which has a mix of long and short holes, but it's crazy how well you can play a course with just putters and 225-250' of distance (for par). Felt my accuracy was pretty good overall, but throwing a little too low at times which might just be a high reachback or coming over the top. Threw an upshot in from about 120' which always feels good:

ef5NwK-cBaGs-WOpRtVClFig7rumosQA-Wta0uc47ccc_AH-eIvwRiT4RfIuFqTOf-gRKTy4pHcdl9EeaaqJ3NYxkP8gAy5zDiAB1binu8xn00221-1CNs9snpL1IwgAfvbUmwzETsmlvIPb4bSZY3v3AVXJNUaFaaN0VLyj0GRAm-PRp5zfXlmkh0Sf6jev-656rQ4XRdMz-_nZYAWfnJDceRb6zI8HudGUy7pIr6buFs_dNcErVHeAra_gxC_Y86hiR0nrDXzBxYdbssVya2UYG0FzGHYbfR0cKMQ2hYv0goHhMgNepQ6-49HqOGuAqdSC_DmzynmvEj_WD-gth91n08q4TBOLE4DkZ2CjMioV1aLLSAX4t-vjUBEMw4MlHH1wWbS4oGtF1FIoX_7Bp7y2aAbL8T0ZwhGclXwU14fQrcCTnkrvbWrA2wGTzYyBkJMNI6-dESXAf0BuBNi4-y0Bm4x1BsNcvhmlQxnhPWiBxhGrQ26fY8OfCWNNPo2nvl7H4IJbiNiBOAx5RnbjWG89ImmUA3bcLlML-pR2-aeHDomNtMMsvwYatR4fI8322ZsMuRuAK3o7iveUuJS5DviT_NKWqXOEy1S7gquIGbg0NnKOBdxe_NSczaasS1QSekGryhIz3qQD11kcCb7V5nRMxDTsUVMu=w1258-h944-no

Got a video of one drive, which happened to be one of my better ones. Nice little hyzer flip with a beat judge down the middle. Still looks really funky coming off the rear foot and my off arm is bad... but I'm feeling more pressure on the rear instep and I think I'm turning back a little more.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BjmynETgQpCD2SDf9

And I got video of the upshot as well:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wuzuTu5QBSDsJiWy8

How do you ice skate or roller skate/blade with pigeon toes?

It does help with sprinting though, just not with balance. I think I can still figure out a way to have decent form.

But for real, I think my problem is that I'm trying to keep pressure on the rear foot for too long. My rear leg extending is basically my body's way of keeping weight on that foot when I really need to just trust letting all that weight go to the front foot. So, looks like it's "kick the ball" time for me.

Yeah that's probably the right drill. You're kind of pushing and swinging as the plant is landing, rather than landing on the plant then using that to swing. The rear leg will look better when that happens.

Yeah that's probably the right drill. You're kind of pushing and swinging as the plant is landing, rather than landing on the plant then using that to swing. The rear leg will look better when that happens.
Yeah it's just a foreign feeling, especially right handed. My torso wants to tip over the top because it "feels" more powerful, but just need to retrain the brain with drills. I think hyzers might actually be a little easier to feel balanced for me. Overthrew a 250' hyzer hole with a Harp today but the straight shots were really off balanced feeling.

Funny you mention bowling, I actually bowl right handed due to the aforementioned elbow/wrist issue on my left arm. I still plant with my right foot though :| Might be a subconcious thing that my brain doesn't trust the stability of my left foot.

Looks to me like you're thinking push too late off the rear leg. In the side view video even when you're setting up with your intentions, you are too late off the rear leg. So it straightens out and gets stuck with weight on it. In the behind view I get the perspective that all it is able to do is act as a counterweight like you're in a one leg throw, and it's holding you back from rotating through.

In Hershyzer 1 at the end of the video SW has the wall push where he has the rear leg countering the other side of the brace. Maybe try landing on the front leg and letting the rear leg land on the other side like that feeling. Just landing closed like that to exaggerate it, not thinking full swing.

It also may help to not start so static, have some back and forth flow to feel the swings pull you in to the backswing and time your lower body movements. In actuality the lower body movements will swing the disc, then the disc will pull you back to time your lower body to move forward.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing too. Pushing off heel and extending rear leg still. I think I'm not understanding when the pressure is supposed to leave the rear leg and its like I want to stay on that rear leg to keep feeling the built up tension in my leg/butt. I think probably a true one leg drill where I'm just on my rear toes might help me get the feeling too.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing too. Pushing off heel and extending rear leg still. I think I'm not understanding when the pressure is supposed to leave the rear leg and its like I want to stay on that rear leg to keep feeling the built up tension in my leg/butt. I think probably a true one leg drill where I'm just on my rear toes might help me get the feeling too.

It helped me to not worry about when to push, but focusing on how to land on the front leg with impact. If you land on the front leg with more drop then you will have left the rear leg earlier. Focus on the result/goal and the step before it will look more correct in this case.

Try standing on something a few inches off the ground with your back leg, front leg ready to land on the ground. If you keep weight on the rear leg while the front leg lands you'll feel pushing over the top and weirdness. If you let gravity drop you that last bit it'll feel more natural. Letting gravity drop you means you stopped supporting your weight a little before the front foot landed.

Something I tried the other day (you can see some slow motion on my form thread) is actively picking up the left foot during the swing. I hadn't tried it before, and my form is far from perfect, but it's a very interesting feel. This is from someone who started out sitting way back on the left leg and pushing off the heel.

You never made a lateral move in buttwipe. After you turn into backswing you need to fall laterally a few inches targetward before turning forward. Your rear foot is also spinning out, when the foot leaves the ground it should kick back into the wall if you leveraged hard enough. Make sure you push off the toes/instep so your heel/knee drive forward. Probably need to widen your stance a few inches and close a little more as well.

In standstills, you are starting too static and tight. Swing back and forth, loosen up and throw in sync with those swings.

You never made a lateral move in buttwipe. After you turn into backswing you need to fall laterally a few inches targetward before turning forward. Your rear foot is also spinning out, when the foot leaves the ground it should kick back into the wall if you leveraged hard enough. Make sure you push off the toes/instep so your heel/knee drive forward. Probably need to widen your stance a few inches and close a little more as well.

In standstills, you are starting too static and tight. Swing back and forth, loosen up and throw in sync with those swings.
Yeah the rear leg is definitely my biggest issue right now. I just can't seem to trust falling targetward without my torso/head falling targetward as well. So if I'm understanding things correctly, the rear leg's job is basically to leverage the rear butt forward then once that is done, the rear leg's job on the ground is done besides countering the swing weight.

Last edited: