• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reid's Journey to Backhand Mastery

My first videos of myself right handed. Sorry about the low lighting, but I think my mistakes are probably easy enough to see at this point haha.

Setup in a narrower stance so you can stride forward and don't step the rear foot back into the backswing.

So I finally figured out conceptually why I need to keep my arm wide and lock in that upper arm angle. I can finally feel how my body twisting adds to the shot when I keep the arm wide instead of my arm getting trapped behind.

Got a chance to go out to the field today. Did all standstill throws. Had some okay throws but really struggling with balance and turning it over right out of my hand. I'm so used to supinating through the throw instead of pronation so it's difficult getting used to that. Starting to really get a better feel for the hit point towards the end of today's session and I felt how if I really concentrate on the rip point on my grip I can hold on longer and get some more distance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SKzNBoQuwqxMgu7c2

Need to setup in a slightly narrower stance(couple inches) and move your feet more on toes/insteps with heels slightly up(athletic) and move back and forth a little bit so your weight shifts and you can settle your feet into the ground better. You are setup in a wide stance and flat footed, so your heels/weight never move or shift. You are trying to push off your rear heel instead of the instep and your foot spins out. Your feet look really disconnected/out of sequence/rhythm to your body and arm swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu4CzVnITlo&t=5m56s

Well I played my first right handed round today. Got video from one tee. Actually had some really good shots. The hole right before this one I managed to pipe a Roc3 all the way down to where my best left handed shots usually landed. Things that jump out to me are that I'm way too upright, need to squat down a little more to keep my balance, and my elbow is dipping instead of staying high. But just from not rounding my shots are feeling really good. Amazing how much power you can get when your body isn't in the way. I was also focusing on trying to push my rear butt towards the target with my rear leg. I think I understand it a little more. Obviously a lot of work to do.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zkmrspsbk63bdq7j1

Last edited:
Yeah, your rear knee is fully straightening out instead of maintaining some flex and looks like you are hugging yourself at the start of the forward swing along with the elbow dropping some and then your arm looks higher than your shoulder plane in the followthrough which prevents the arm from being able to fully follow through behind your back and just underneath the shoulder. Your rear arm is also hanging out there away from your body, get into your body and braced front leg. Hard to tell but looks like your stance is a little too wide, I like to setup narrow and so the front foot/heel goes airborne in the backswing and take a tiny little stride forward so your weight actually shifts more back and forward.

I have been trying to set up a little more narrow so it's something I have been thinking about and I think it's helped some. Maybe that shot was getting a little too wide again. I'm glad you mentioned the follow through as well as it looks and feels weird. This shot was supposed to be a baby hyzer so I guess that's why I was thinking about following through up high. Is the hugging during the beginning due to getting too eager with the shoulders or just not being rigid enough with my upper arm angle? I think I'm just turning my shoulders too soon. It actually looks like I hit my body a little on that one too. Had that happening some.

I have been trying to set up a little more narrow so it's something I have been thinking about and I think it's helped some. Maybe that shot was getting a little too wide again. I'm glad you mentioned the follow through as well as it looks and feels weird. This shot was supposed to be a baby hyzer so I guess that's why I was thinking about following through up high. Is the hugging during the beginning due to getting too eager with the shoulders or just not being rigid enough with my upper arm angle? I think I'm just turning my shoulders too soon. It actually looks like I hit my body a little on that one too. Had that happening some.
Your arm should always follow through just below the shoulder regardless of angle. Your body/spine/shoulder tilt should be adjusted to the angle, not the arm.

The hugging is a bit of both or threefold, too eager, letting the upper arm collapse, and dropping the elbow.

Thanks, I am very encouraged so far with throwing right handed and am quite enjoying it so far. Even putting actually is a lot better in some ways.

Nice work so far switching sides, I can say with fair certainty that if I tried to throw lefty it would look a lot sloppier!

Did you play baseball or ball golf? If so did you swing righty or lefty?

Nice work so far switching sides, I can say with fair certainty that if I tried to throw lefty it would look a lot sloppier!

Did you play baseball or ball golf? If so did you swing righty or lefty?
I'm honestly surprised how "easy" it is so far to switch. Part of it is that I have limited mobility on my left side so throwing a disc is actually easier in some ways right handed. I think starting from a standstill is really good for me. Don't worry, I couldn't even X-step right handed if I tried right now.

I did play a good bit of golf in my teens, but I was a right handed swing always in golf. I also played a little bit of baseball too, and I threw the ball left handed but batted right handed. Never was any good at hitting baseball and I was mediocre at golf. Really liking disc golf more than any sport I've played.

I'm honestly surprised how "easy" it is so far to switch. Part of it is that I have limited mobility on my left side so throwing a disc is actually easier in some ways right handed. I think starting from a standstill is really good for me. Don't worry, I couldn't even X-step right handed if I tried right now.

I did play a good bit of golf in my teens, but I was a right handed swing always in golf. I also played a little bit of baseball too, and I threw the ball left handed but batted right handed. Never was any good at hitting baseball and I was mediocre at golf. Really liking disc golf more than any sport I've played.

I can switch too a bit with throwing the disc I just don't throw as far only about 60% of right with left non dominate hand and X step is not as smooth in the form but yes it works, putting however is exactly the same though with left non dominate hand. Then if I played baseball I would have to get the kind of batting helmet you can use with both sides, to play so I can switch right in the middle of a guys pitch to freak him out. I can do the same in bowling and pool.

I can switch too a bit with throwing the disc I just don't throw as far only about 60% of right with left non dominate hand and X step is not as smooth in the form but yes it works, putting however is exactly the same though with left non dominate hand. Then if I played baseball I would have to get the kind of batting helmet you can use with both sides, to play so I can switch right in the middle of a guys pitch to freak him out. I can do the same in bowling and pool.

For me, putting is a whole new ball game right handed. It's like I was playing with an extreme handicap left handed. I'm literally almost as good now right handed after like 2 hours of practice. Been messing around with a spush type putt basically like McBeth style. That's a pretty good skill to be ambidextrous.

Got a couple vids from today. Tried a little one step out. I got my elbow higher on the pull, but my rear side.... it's ugly. I'm pushing off my heel and straightening the leg and coming way over the top. My follow through is still really wonky too. I can't stop finishing up high sometimes. I also somehow lost my hip turn as well. I definitely notice a significant increase in power when I get that little turn back of the hip right before the throw. It feels like I'm turning too far, but I think it just feels weird because I'm not used to throwing with the hips yet and I get a little wild when I turn back that far. It's too much POWAH!

The green disc was a terrible shot, fortunately my girlfriend was a good videographer and didn't let you see the result haha.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/r6NBhvOJfaYddsFZ2

Your rear arm is way out there, keep it in tight to your body, there's no need for the arm to be out there and only going to cause trouble, if anything the rear elbow almost needs to hit your rear hip to push the pelvis(your weight) forward from underneath your head(note forward - lateral targetward / not rotational).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpp7ZFLHK90#t=8m45s

You look quite flat footed at setup and pigeon toed. Need to turn your rear foot away from target about 20-30 degrees, it's setup too perpendicular and restricting your backswing from really turning back and forth more fluid and effortless. Get your feet moving setting up and settle them with your weight into the ground into a natural upright quick athletic feeling stance, just move very slightly back and forth so the heels get pulled or pushed up with toes staying on ground. Your heels should move with your weight back and forth. So at setup your feet should be slightly flared out from each other unless you are naturally pigeon toed. When you take the backswing your front foot heel should get pulled up by your body turning back, and then you should be able to plant the heel forward of your setup without the toes moving as you should be turned back further than you were setting up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8&t=4m7s

I am quite severely pidgeon toed, especially on my left side. Probably about 20-30 degrees. Made me a good sprinter. So it might look a little more exaggerated than it is, but it certainly still might be a problem.

The off-arm being close to the body is something I started to experiment with today, starting with some upshots. I can definitely feel how it can add power to the shot. But I do have to consciously think about it, so I haven't put a ton of effort into fixing it yet. Interesting thought though about using the off-arm to push the hips forward. I guess that's related to the "swim move" that HUB talks about. I've been noticing how McBeth really anchors his off arm into the brace and then everything unwinds. It's making more sense conceptually to me now too.

It does seem like I was set up a little too open here and you can see the green disc go off far to the right because of it (and timing/posture issues). The only reason the red disc went decently straight was that it came out early.

Last edited:
I am quite severely pidgeon toed, especially on my left side. Probably about 20-30 degrees. Made me a good sprinter. So it might look a little more exaggerated than it is, but it certainly still might be a problem.

It does seem like I was set up a little too open here and you can see the green disc go off far to the right because of it (and timing/posture issues). The only reason the red disc went decently straight was that it came out early.
I'm guessing being pigeoned toed makes your lateral stability/balance not very good. I'd play around with your stance in the Inside Swing Drill and try different angles and widths in closed stance(rear foot away from wall gives you space for the backswing to come inside). See how I'm turned further back inside posture and more centered/upright. Your butt and head are sticking outside of your posture and your head/shoulder/arm/disc are hitting or going through the wall instead of staying inside. You also have both heels on the ground, one needs to go up as the other comes down so there's a quicker/more sudden shift of all your weight before you start swinging forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio&t=6m5s

27wjU6e.png