• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Reptilian Disc Golf Ptero: Stable Fairway Driver

Something is screwy with what you got going on above Jamie.You beat me to it. As far as what to do with the ptero image. Google image search Bird Mantling. It is what they do over prey. Make the prey the chastity belt and I think it wouldn't look dirty. Although it sure as hell sounds dirty.

I am finally starting to figure out my Ptero. I am not getting the distance out of it yet, but it is proving nice for carving some lines through the woods.

Last edited:
The PDGA approval of the Ptero is official. Should have the announcement released soon!

I also just placed another order of DX and Flat Top DX "Bigger Bird" Rocs AND some "Bigger Bird" Champion Teebirds just for fun ;)

Finally got out to the field to pit the Ptero 7~5~-1~1 against my FDs 7~6~-1~1 today.
BmU582Jm.jpg
[/IMG]

Plastic: ArmorFlex Like a star~ G-star hybrid. IMO, not too floppy. Close, but not TOO floppy.

Feel: If I had to chose one word to describe the Ptero in comparison to the FD I would say that it is more 'aggressive'. The Ptero's took the mold really tightly and the inner rim leaves a nice groove on the dome that IMO feels very comfortable for backhand(
I think the FD feels more comfy for flicks though). The wing is drastically more concave than an FD, and In the hand it simply feels sharper(NO, I'm not talking about 'flashing').
qeWWE8pm.jpg
[/IMG]
Flight: I pitted the Armor flex Ptero against one fresh D-line FD and three C-lines (one beat-ish first run, one workhorse 3rd run[regular Jolly Launcher], and one fresh 5th run [firm jolly launcher]. For reference, 5th runs are the most comparable to 1rsts[true to flight numbers] when fresh). Unfortunately I do/did not have a S-line to hold it against, which is probably the most similar feeling plastic... Maybe G-line.
FDs have been my primary driver this season, I can push them out to 300 ft give or take. When thrown flat: the FD that most resembled the flight of my Ptero was the fresh 5th run. Although The FD was finishing with slightly more fade, this may have been due to the fact that ALL the FDs I threw against the Ptero(even my workhorse 3rd run, the straightest of all) had more lateral, side-to-side, movement in-flight; the FD was simply finishing on a slightly more drastic curve while the Ptero was penetrating forward quite a bit. Here's where the difference in glide comes in. I was getting comparable distance out of the two (slightly more D out of Ptero on most throws) but the FD was staying in the air longer for that lateral movement. The Ptero also seemed a little more responsive/consistent with it's '-1~1'(The FDs seem to show less turn when thrown at a hyzer than when they are thrown flat): unlike the 5th run FD, I found I could put the Ptero on a very slight hyzer and flip it straight. I can hit a similar line with my beat 1rst run FD (like a straighter 5th run [they started out very similar in flight]), but the Ptero was a LASER BEAM when thrown this way AND it liked to fade forward giving me a lil more D.

Summation: I like the Ptero. I find myself torn between two different strategies: Mold minimization and Disc minimization. The FD is great at highlighting the characteristics of different plastics, but one Ptero is a little more versatile than one single FD. I could see myself bagging both, sticking with the FDs, and/or taking only the Ptero as a fairway for more casual rounds. I DO want to throw it some more, and I'm super curious about how this plastic will beat in.

Just pulled one out of the mailbox below freezing and holy flexible plastic! Seems like some good stuff for this time of year but the white will need a dye lol. Might have to go throw it a little this afternoon!

Just pulled one out of the mailbox below freezing and holy flexible plastic! Seems like some good stuff for this time of year but the white will need a dye lol. Might have to go throw it a little this afternoon!

Can't wait to hear your feedback. :clap:

I am working on getting a firmer version molded up so we can offer both flavors next season as well!

Can't wait to hear your feedback. :clap:!

It was damn cold outside and not really used to this 30 degree stuff yet so only had a handful of throws in the field today with it. WOW! Sneaky long (as you can see....lol) and just pretty much goes where you throw it. Id say your rating is pretty spot on with the -1/1 HSS/LSS -- glide is great too and speed feels just a hair slower vs a few other 7 speeds but the rim width wouldn't tell you that compared to some molds I have around. Neat disc you have here for sure and the plastic seems to be a uber flexy blend which should last a LONG time. reminds me a lot of my soft neutron ions which still look solid after 3 years of work I think now?!

well done. really nice mold you have here IMO. I kept finding it to go too far on all the throws really lol. Even the last one I backed way up into the small area of the park between the playground and woods trying to rip one right at the front of the camera and it just held the small anny forever before fading out well behind where I was filming from. Ive done a lot of testing here and not sure I can remember a time a disc went that far probably around 440' which is huge for me specially being so damn cold and for a new disc.

Last edited:
Even the last one I backed way up into the small area of the park between the playground and woods trying to rip one right at the front of the camera and it just held the small anny forever before fading out well behind where I was filming from. Ive done a lot of testing here and not sure I can remember a time a disc went that far probably around 440' which is huge for me specially being so damn cold and for a new disc.

for reference..
ptro.jpg

I've never understood how a driver can be "sneaky long"...its a mother****ig driver, its supposed to be long.

Lots of glide, but I didnt really feel like there was anything sneaky about it. Goes farther than the Raptor, thats for sure.

lol andy keep dreaming. When you throw X or Y disc at the same power they generally go so far. Then you pick up Z disc and it tends to just keep going -- that's sneaky long. You don't expect the distance traveled from the same kind of shot vs other discs which you have thrown in the same speed class. I know for you they all go 300' so there isn't much of a difference.

For such a slow mold (7 speedish) this damn thing bombs at even lower power. Night honey :)

Fd's tend to be the same way for me same power as a beat teebird or jls the fd just wants to keep cruising. I think sneaky long is a fair description.

Raptor went about 300' for me. Ptero can get out to about 340'-350' on a good throw. However, with the super soft plastic, it's very hard for me to get a good power release without it "flopping" in my hand. I know it's a form issue, but my poor form still plays a factor in what I bag. So, until we get a stiffer plastic, I'll bench the Ptero. However, on those "good" throws, I am EXCITED for a stiffer plastic Ptero!

Latest posts