• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Retrieve floating disc

championlog22

Par Member
I am working on a design for a device to retrieve a floating disc from water. I am thinking of getting half inch diameter pvc pipe and connectors to make a sort of C shape just barely bigger than the width of a disc. I plan on running some rope 75' or 100' all the way through the pipe so when I pull it in, it will distribute the force evenly to each side of the pipe. I plan on having 1 fishing weight that can be attached with a small climbing hook so the thing will fly through the air. I also plan on just breaking it down to 4 or 5 parts and wrapping it up in the rope to store it in my bag. I'm trying to stay with pvc pipe so it will be as light as possible. And using the connectors will allow me to break it down to a compact size. I will post a picture of what I am trying to do later. Does anyone have any suggestions or devices they have already created? Thanks

I am working on a design for a device to retrieve a floating disc from water. I am thinking of getting half inch diameter pvc pipe and connectors to make a sort of C shape just barely bigger than the width of a disc. I plan on running some rope 75' or 100' all the way through the pipe so when I pull it in, it will distribute the force evenly to each side of the pipe. I plan on having 1 fishing weight that can be attached with a small climbing hook so the thing will fly through the air. I also plan on just breaking it down to 4 or 5 parts and wrapping it up in the rope to store it in my bag. I'm trying to stay with pvc pipe so it will be as light as possible. And using the connectors will allow me to break it down to a compact size. I will post a picture of what I am trying to do later. Does anyone have any suggestions or devices they have already created? Thanks

How do they retrieve rc boats from the water? I honestly don't know and didn't want to search it for you but they might have a cool trick or two.

That pipe will sink if filled with water. If you fill the pipe with spray foam, perhaps it may float. It would get heavier, though. I'd just pack some nylon rope and an inflatable pool toy.

TILHw3oq

That pipe will sink if filled with water. If you fill the pipe with spray foam, perhaps it may float. It would get heavier, though. I'd just pack some nylon rope and an inflatable pool toy.

ok how about this:
dont run the rope through the pipe, when it is in the C shape it will be completely sealed. I will have end pieces on, well, the end. Tie the rope around each part so the pipe stays water tight.
Think that will work?

wow I appreciate the quick replies. Is anyone able to see my design?

Maybe. Your major expense will be in the couplers, and adhesives. PVC stain and glue can be a pain in the arse to get truly watertight. I'd test it out in a wading pool. I like the idea of the fishing sinkers under it, but not for what you're thinking. It will be plenty heavy for casting without the sinkers. You'll need them to actually grab the disc. A floating disc just may be pushed under your rig, especially on retrieval. I still think a kiddie pool ring would be cheaper. Tie off a few weights on only one half, tie rope to opposite side, and voilà! But hey, follow your dreams man. I just toss my golden retriever until the rope drapes over the floating disc and tease it slowly into shore.

Yeah I thought about the disc slipping under it. Thought about Attaching a hook to grap the lip of the disc. Main thing is to keep it compact and able to be broken down. Don't know if I'll be gluing it together, but I have a pond next to my house so I will try out different methods and see what works best. I'll post whatever I make or think up.

We keep a fishing pole with a stick tied to the end of the line in the truck. Just cast it out and reel it in. The stick floats and the water pressure from the reeling keeps the stick parallel with the edge of the water. Just be sure and tie the line to the center of the stick. It usually only takes one try...

Don't spend to much money on pipes and rope. You could just buy a cheap rc boat and mount a push bar on the front. I think you can get one for $30-40

I have materials already. But again, trying to keep something in my bag at all times whenever I play a water round. Waited forever one time for a disc in a stagnant pond, came back and it had been stolen.

You're right. Guess I could just take a rope and tie it to a random stick. But I want something that looks cool, haha

I have materials already. But again, trying to keep something in my bag at all times whenever I play a water round. Waited forever one time for a disc in a stagnant pond, came back and it had been stolen.

I likee your ideas for retrieving discs you throw into the creek.....but I disagree with your term for stolen disc....I would say someone found it.

I likee your ideas for retrieving discs you throw into the creek.....but I disagree with your term for stolen disc....I would say someone found it.

No, stolen is exactly the correct word to use. I had my name and number on it. Months later I'm playing a round, my disc comes flying towards the hole I just finished. I take a look and it's my disc (i custom dyed it) with my name and number scratched out. I picked it up, told the guy thanks for my disc back. And continued playing. People like that piss me off

How often are your discs floating when you throw them in?
Jump in or use your golden retriever as previously mentioned. Unless you're using floaters, which is a bad idea, discs often sink during floating retrieval.